Anybody else like to fish?

I have been using frozen shrimp from the shrimp rings you can buy at the grocery store for years successfully ice fishing . It works for rainbows, browns , brookies , cod and flounder. I am almost out of mackerel for striper bait and might try the shrimp for stripers when I do.

Was a nice morning for a few casts today.

6 Likes

:fishing_pole_and_fish:

8 Likes

Sorry I took a swim in the river and my phone was in my waders. So it got fried. Lol… I was working at kenworth as a parts guy and one of the guys said I look like shaggy and it just stuck. Lol… for about 3 years no customers knew my real name.

4 Likes

are the sheepshead actually edible? We get those here too for a limited amount of time and the only people that keep/eat them are the vietnamese fishermen. maybe they’re on to something.

3 Likes

Sheepsheads are delicious.

11 Likes

that’s one ugly s.o.b.

4 Likes

We have a sheepshead perch that the viets go crazy for

2 Likes

Sheepshead are delicious. The bones are a thick and their teeth look human. Sweet thick white meat that is delicious fried.

3 Likes

I have only caught one sheepshead from the surf. Sneaky bastard dug a fin into the sand to hold himself in the ocean. I just followed the line until I felt him and yanked him out of the sand.

I surf fish with salted shrimp because it is tough enough to stay on hook despite waves, being dragged against sand and rocks. Circle hooks usually catch in the jawbone of fish; cured shrimp can be recycled in your next cast. It’s possible to catch several fish with one bait.

9 Likes

Have you tried using Fish Bites, @DanzaKuduro? They work well in the surf along with a piece of shrimp.

2 Likes

I have used Fish bites and it becomes soggy rubber. The fish hit the cured shrimp. I see people catching with fish bites. I have never been successful with lures.

3 Likes

With the seasons changing, I’m now looking forward to more of this coming up

21 Likes

Laker , yellow perch and bows through the ice ? Nice

4 Likes

More like a zebra stripes buck teeth n all. Never seen one.

1 Like

yep. me too. got my PB ll sallmon 8lb 6oz. thru the ice last jan. nice big native hook jawed male. i usually target togue/ lakers. I’ve taken 1st place at the long lake derby in 2012 and 2016. 2nd place once and third place 2xs.

5 Likes

Nice! I did three derbies, never caught a fish. That was my first year ice fishing though. then when I got myself all geared up, I haven’t entered one since. Having gained responsibilities that don’t allow me to do overnights or getting to a spot at the proper time. This year may be different, I might join one or two.

5 Likes

yeah my ex told me the same thing apparently it doesnt include going to a bar for some strange oh well

1 Like

but on the other hand it gives me way more time to fly fish on nice quiet streams witnh noone naggin in my ear

1 Like

They have a very light touch around a hook. The rule is you have to hook them before they nibble.
:wink:

2 Likes

Same here there are a few lakes up around moosehead maine ddexter corinna etc that turn into mini towns with shacks all set up with generators satelite dishes i live in florida now cant waitvto be able to move north permanant

2 Likes