Anyone know where I can get rks

:wink: I know they wont

3 Likes

But why? :cry:. Guess they donā€™t want to muddy the genetics?

Who is ā€˜theyā€™ here? There is no one seed collective that holds all the Cannabis genetics. There are a bunch of us that have a lot of old seeds and strains around the world. RKS is real, but I guess yā€™all just want to call it a global conspiracy. Mehā€¦ whatever.

7 Likes

Let me re-iterate: the stench in skunk weed ~is~ from terpenes. Skunks produce thiols, Cannabis does not. Terpenes in skunk weed strains simulate the smell of skunks (and thiols). Cannabis also simulates about 500 other things out there in the world of smells from over 200 (and counting) different terpenes and terpinoids. In Cannabis, the terpene myrcene with several other terpenes result in the smell of skunk weed.

But hey, do not believe me! No no no no. Here are four references:

From: https://thefreshtoast.com/cannabis/why-does-my-weed-smell-like-skunk/
Myrcene, another terpene present in numerous cannabis varietals, is a sedative, a muscle relaxant, a hypnotic, an analgesic (painkiller) and an anti-inflammatory compound. This musky terpene contributes mightily to the infamous ā€œcouch-lockā€ experience and is the one that gives off the skunky aroma.

So what is the link between terpenes and thiols that cause some marijuana strains to smell like skunk? The answer is that itā€™s rather coincidental. Some of the terpenes present in cannabis happen to smell like the thiols in skunk spray.

There is no relationship between thiols and terpenes. However, there are some terpenes that smell like thiols.

Many terpenes can smell like thiols, thus creating a skunky aroma.

14 Likes

Learning some new stuff, thanks! :grin:

3 Likes

Never said a seed collective what I meant by crew was a growing crew , I think all of of us oldtime growers and smokers remember the RKS it was all over the place lime green golfball size type nugs with the smell we all remember that just cannot be found around anymore. I wish a lot of the old gems were still around to get like real Kona Gold , other Hawiian genes and US genes but some gear is just not available like it was back then some are gone and some are just locked down by a few growing crews that are just not going to go commercial is all. Also I think the new so called breeders using the RKS name is in it just too make more money and donā€™t have anything close to the old RKS and saying in the description like the Old Festers Skunk peeps used is just a money making tool 68 Skunk genes ooookay I guess if you want to believe it and spend lots of hard earned money its your choice but it just bugs the hell out of me how far seedmakers today will go too make a buck but thatā€™s just me and my feelings. I seen on here since I joined again three breeders that I think work their lines great and would for sure try their gear and thatā€™s the first three I have said that about since I started growing brother Bodhiā€™s gear several years back when he started. So big ups to the new OG for having these guys available to the older and newer growers here.

10 Likes

Conspiracy , naw I think not , Uncle Festers RKS I think not also , I know RKS is real brother just sayin nowadays its used as a seedmakers money making tool just as you did hyping Uncle Festers RKS skunk line that promised RKS if I remember it right. Yes I read up on that line and all its promises when it came out how many RKS phenoā€™s did they promise in each pack I forgotā€¦ I am sure the line has some nice plants in it and crossed to some other good line will make some great smoke but to claim the real RKS with their long drawn out story about 68 Skunk and promising the real RKS is just wrong . Now that was a conspiracy. Meh

7 Likes

I donā€™t mind being corrected when Iā€™m wrong, but I can do without the jackassery in the post, how hard is it to simply say to someone youā€™re incorrect and provide links like you did without being an ass to some one?

7 Likes

Donā€™t think RKS ever made it to this part of the world. I grew the Skunk #1 from Sensi in the 90s and back then Road Kill was just something you might have read about in a hightimes if you were lucky enough to get one ā€¦ it was only when the internet came round in like 98 that we started unwrapping all this hidden treasure haha. I have had the pleasure of running some of the most insane cat piss phenos off inbred SSH plants that I had. Some of them were so sharp I couldnā€™t bare to even open a jar. I would want to throw up it was that bad. It was like cat piss and acetone mixed. My friend absolutely loved it haha and as much as I hated the smell it was an amazing amazing smoke. If Road Kiā€™ll Skunk is anything like a real catpiss strainā€¦ id love to try it. I hope someone gets it right tbh. V.

2 Likes

Ah, so I am a jackass for posting the facts, after you posted some BS and saying I was wrong? You can dish it out, but you cannot take it?

1 Like

no you are not a jackass because you corrected me or post facts, in fact if thats all you had done i would have thanked you for the knowledge. no where in my post was I aggressive, insulting or otherwise. i simply stated what i believed at the time to be correct. the condescending remarks in your post are why you were call an ass,

this is why I called you an ass.
guess no one taught you its not what you say but how you say it

1 Like

Well, my issue on this thread (other than being incorrectly corrected and then called a jackass for calling them out on it) is that there are a ton of posts saying that RKS is a myth, it never existed or that it does not exist. I am not a fan of any seed companies save for a very few and I do not buy seeds as a rule. Nor do I sell seeds or hold a position in any seed companies. Yes, they sell a lot of hype and flare and BS. Such is the modern world, and so was the world in earlier times. Weed has always been filled with hype. Skunk strains varied a lot in the 70s. There was no single initial skunk strain, as Watson and others claim. It was all over NorCal in the later 1970s. Some reeked. Some were mild.

As for RKS, one personā€™s intolerable skunk level barely registers with others. Like cat piss. I cannot tolerate much of either myself. So its a perception thing. Skunk will also vary highly from bean to bean, and vary on growing conditions and when it is harvested. Harvest earlier for higher terpenes, later for higher THC. My experience anyway. Festerā€™s beans were open pollinated and so they vary a lot. I never met him, but I have come across his genetics. In a weird happenstance, I wound up with several strains of skunk from several sources in Northern and Central California recently. I am growing several now. Some are already showing promise. Some of these are really old beans and they took a lot of work to germinate. I have no real interest in RKS or even moderate skunk myself, but I know that others do and I can trade skunk beans for other rare strains that I want. If I do get an RKS or significant stench from one of these beans, I will clone the absolute crap out of it and breed it. I have hundreds of them to go through. May take a while.

2 Likes

I did not call you any names here, I only corrected your mistakes. But apparently you were only too willing to jump on my post and say that it was wrong when in fact it is correct, and then you up the stakes with name calling by using profanity. Amusing double standards here. If you want to correct people here with erroneous information, you should be able to take counter corrections without escalating to profanity. Or better, get the facts right before you try to correct people in the first place.

Your are still missing the pointā€¦ like I said it was the condescending way in which you had corrected me not the actual correction itself. I have no issue admitting Iā€™m wrong or being corrected. what I took issue with was being talked down to and lack of common respect. And only then did I say it was ā€œjackasseryā€ and asked how ā€œhard it is to correct some one without being an ass.ā€ So I never actually called you a name
If had said something along the lines of ā€œhey man thats not right, here is some infoā€ we wouldnā€™t be having this convo and I would have thanked you for the correction. Thatā€™s how we learn. But YOU laid out the attitude, I simply responded. If you canā€™t see that

Now if you took offense to my statement on the thiols Iā€™ll apologize. It was not my intent to offend, I was trying to share what I thought to be correct at the time, but I will not be talked down to online or in real lifeā€¦ just as I assume, going off your reaction, you would like the same respect, right?

3 Likes

Riot has a few Roadkill Afghaniā€™s and has a RKA male that he uses sometimes. His gear is expensive but I know a couple people that got his RKA and itā€™s has that smell youā€™re wanting.

2 Likes

Quite pricey ā€¦ id be shit disappointed if I didnā€™t get a RK pheno. Are their any grow journals around to read ?

1 Like

5 Likes

Lol ya thats steep pricing.
N its just a reversed bx w difficult sourdubb genetics

1 Like

Nah, fuck Matthew Riot, that dudeā€™s a garbage fire

3 Likes

There are a lot of people that feel that way pho sho. All I am saying is someone I do know bought those RKAā€™s and in the ones he bought / started have that super loud and very pungent Dead Skunk smell. I double checked and he actually bought theseā€¦

Just FYI, Iā€™ve had his Strawberry Cream for a long time now and itā€™s top notch! The yield is just massive, finishes in 9 weeks, is coated in crystals, and smells/tastes like creamy Strawberries. Given how well this one has done for me Iā€™m highly considering picking up the Strawberry Roadkill which has the RKA and Sour Diesel crossed into the SC.

All I was doing is letting it be known that I know someone that did find that Roadkill Skunk smell in gear that can be purchased.

Iā€™ve read that some people say the original RKS has Afghani in the cross.

3 Likes