Aspirin and Plants

This is giving me ideas… one of the few trees that grow here are cottonwood trees. The buds are high in salicylic acid. I may just gather a bunch of these and do a glycerin extraction… :thinking:

5 Likes

So the Afghani is male, the cut stems have been in the solution 12 days aaaaand
…no roots or nubs.
If there was some worthwhile advantage to these substances they’d be visible by now.
Back to waiting.

3 Likes

@spaceman as I mentioned in the beginning of this thread. In all of the articles I read, I never saw mention that it promotes root growth. Just mold, pest and disease resistance. My guess is for clones it just helps from disease getting in and faster healing.

3 Likes

Next day observation after foliar. Everything looks just fine. No burning etc… Plants are all a darker green and veggies still seem happiest from it.

3 Likes

@DiggySoze just read your article.after I posted my results. Funny I noticed on the veggies right away as it says veggies have shown the greatest benefit.

1 Like

@Meesh
Yeah, I’m no expert, just an avid reader. Particularly love this site:
http://www.planthormones.info/salicylic_acid.html

I’m a firm believer that the majority of phenotype variation is due to hormone production. Want a bushy plant, you need lots of cytokinin. Want a perfect SOG, need high auxin and strigolactones, which can be encouraged with tall pots and low mineral content to encourage plants to dive deep for nutrition. Want to force a plant that’s too compact to stretch a little bit, hit em with some gibberelic acid.

(Bonus points: Methyl Jasmonates and Jasmonic Acid increase pest resistance and change/increase terpenes. There’s a study where they used something like alligator clips to pinch a couple leaves in order to simulate insect attack, and jasmonic acid levels increased 12x. I pinch tips off fan leaves as plants are finishing to make em think they’re under attack.)

((Addendum: as a protective measure against people extrapolating what I just said too far, I offer you a study proving wounding and jasmonic acid will lower yield and total growth through the same methods that can increase resistances and terpenes.))

(((Double-addendum: I’m sorry for not providing the link I was last referring to)) :joy: Been drinking. Google search it

2 Likes

That was extremely interesting! I didn’t know what it really did until now. Makes perfect sense that your plant is pulling water from the bottom easily now.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know if you talked woth Jetdro much while he was here but his Goji OG in Octopots blew up like you wouldn’t believe (not on Overgrow, the journal is on opengrow) If the height of the pot and depth of water is right it’s like a hydro setup with no moving parts.

2 Likes

I find it so interesting that such trace amounts of certain things makes such a huge difference in plants! I know aspirin isn’t organic per se but I always have this doubt in my mind whenever I give organic “food” to my plants in these tiny little amounts that they are going to work and they always seem to. Plants are so cool!

2 Likes

Sorry for my multiple posts guys, but my wheels are turning! Also makes sense now why everything is a darker shade of green, all the extra photosynthesis they did last night.

1 Like

Yo. I’m sorry here too, but one last thing! :joy:

Way back in Darwins day they were taking measurements of leaf growth and found out they were changing the speed of growth just by touching the plants.

The greatest fertilizer is the shadow of the gardener.

5 Likes

I sure hope so! I talk to my plants and lightly brush their leaves with my hand. lol

2 Likes

Sorry for the side jaunt.
Just adding my share to the general knowledge bank, no criticism intended.
I’m looking forward to more from you on this, nice thread.

Youtube features dozens of vids promoting aspirin rooting benis with seeming good results but the first search result when asked of duckduckgo was “Some people have reported success using aspirin as a rooting agent.” "https://www.mykitchengarden.info/2013/11/natural-rooting-hormones.html

But I am surprised at boron not contributing, saw some convincing data how it’s utilized during secondary root growth in water based rooting. Thought the plant may sense the ideal secondary environment to trigger initial growth.
Very good success using willow twigs in a co rooting event. Couldn’t get to my willows due to flooding.
Still can’t.
:blossom:

2 Likes

Didn’t take it as criticism, although that would be fine too. Just want to make sure everyone understands what to expect. I wonder what other elements rooting hormones have in them? I’ve never used one.

1 Like

You have to be extremely careful with dried powdered rooting agents like Schultz for example.
The warning label should be enough to convince anyone to wear a respirator and gloves and use them only in well ventilated areas.

2 Likes

Interesting I’m gonna have to read up on that

2 Likes

When they water? Just curious.

5 Likes

I’ve heard of it before (years ago).
I haven’t read anything on it of late and I’ve never tried it.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Read a bunch of papers on it a while back, 100mg/l(foliar) once a week seems to be a good starting point.
Aloe contains some salicylic acid and other goodies, try 2-3ml/l(foliar).
Still experimenting with it so cant say anything definitive but it seems like most plants will benefit from it, shuts down stress reaction, boost chlorophyll and water uptake.

3 Likes

I’m going to start it today. No real reason why, I just like what I read.

2 Likes