Bodhi Plant and seed guide (Part 2)

By his own admission he keeps a “dirty” grow area and stresses his plants a decent amount through not babying them any more than it takes to keep them healthy. There are also quite a number of people on here and other sites who say they test for him, some of them for a decade now, so I think it truly is a decent sized volunteer army!

18 Likes

He’s had an enthusiastic following for quite a long time and many people clamoring to test for him. The testers are of varying skill levels with even more varied grow styles/methods. Over the years, some of Bodhi’s crosses never made it to release due to herms. Others were released as outdoor recommendations since they only seem to herm indoors. That said, even released Bodhi seeds aren’t herm-proof.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who managed to stress released Bodhi gear enough to herm. Turns out that plant didn’t much care for bright sun during lights out, having a fan dropped on it, or being way over fed. :sweat_smile:

25 Likes

I’m pretty sure Bodhi also mentioned something a ways back about an area in his little outdoor grow that’s, like, the Ultimate Male Test: soggy, maybe, and bug-filled and just not a place where you wanna be growing plants. The males that show resistance are the ones who get considered for breeding, after looking at their progeny, of course. @nube, am I making this up? Did I just invent this in my head? I think you maybe may have referenced this before, as well.

Sometimes I think something is real, like something actually happened, but then I realize it was a dream I had like three nights ago. I’m fairly certain the “Bodhi horrible growing conditions test area” is a real thing, though. I’m not dreaming about Bodhi haha (although I do sometimes have bad dreams about my grows).

If I am making this up, though… Fuck me.

19 Likes

BoHdi concentration camp for males :cold_face:

4 Likes

I remember that too, but I haven’t found the reference to it though I did find this from Bodhi in 2013 on RIU:

"state of the union report.

so far in 2013 I’ve been mostly collecting, testing, and refining. i did a massive dirty room test run, where i subjected new and old strains to light leaks, root binding, overwatering, under watering, bugs, and pm. i also made some new testers using some new and old males and a few hand pollinated restocks of things. I’ve been working on breeding specific tools for myself like a deadly g f3 male thats insane, i figure I’ve saturated the canna sphere with sativa dom snow lotus hybrids, so now its time for some heavy duty indica creations. I’m phasing out of the snow lotus and appalachia hybs and into the wookie, nepenthe, deadly g, instant karma, bshb, and temple hybs. I’m really looking forward to focusing on pure f1 indy/sat landrace hybrids from selections this summer, taking things to the next level by using basic building blocks instead of polyhybrid mashups. I’m also excited to see everybody else’s inspirational work and projects, i feel a good season coming on…

i finally made the leap to seed only production, i rebuilt my flower room into more of a research and development space, with a giant mom room, two seed making chambers, and a perpetual flowering test room. this new space will allow me to be much more dynamic in making seeds, ill be able to keep stocks up and explore the genepool much more freely. this would not be possible without all of your support, so i thank you all for this blessing in my life and ill do my best to radiate canna love to the 4 corners of the world."

Actually really neat reading the old messages from him about what he was working on almost a decade ago now and which of those we’re still talking about or haven’t even seen yet from the freezer or unfinished line work.

20 Likes

@nube gave a good answer to this back in 2018:

19 Likes

You know? Man… When I read that shit (and I remember that post now), I just think to myself,”How many other motherfuckers are doing things like that?” I mean, maybe all these “breeders” are, I dunno. But I really, really doubt it. Gawd bless Bodhi haha.

24 Likes

Found it! One more time here’s @nube with the answers:

15 Likes

Yeah man, besides him and Tonygreen I don’t hear other breeders talking about that kind of stress testing, though I’m sure a bunch of the good ones do, and they should tell us! I forgot to add the last thing I’ve noticed about Bodhi’s testing practices, which is that he deliberately gives testers to new growers to see how bad they can fuck them up. I think that’s key, honestly. I used to design and train workflow procedures in commercial kitchens as part of my job and I learned real fast that the sign of a good trainer is when the dumbest, most inexperienced MF understands it. Because if he can get it right, everyone else is going to have no problems.

22 Likes

But why? They couldn’t sell their seeds if they gave us real information… You’ll notice that a lot of these “breeders” don’t ever post “full plant” pics, which is all I really care about. A closeup of some frosty nug is meaningless to me; those are a dime a dozen. I wanna see the whole plant, the day it gets chopped.

Maybe that’s why I got removed from the twice-yearly tester’s email haha… Just kidding, I’m not bitter. I’m probably the worst tester ever, just because it always takes me like three months to plant the seeds. You gotta plant them ASAP!

18 Likes

I’ve read multiple testers in posts spanning years say the same thing, which is that he absolutely does not hold how good or bad your grow goes against you, and that he is extremely strict about getting full reports on time. I can’t remember who but someone said that he was the most demanding breeder they’ve tested for when it comes to seed test reports, and that they learned a lot from it.

I definitely am not a good candidate for testing because I also would not drop everything fast enough so I feel you!

15 Likes

I get that. I’d be the same way. You can’t move forward and do work until you have the information. I’d be super-annoyed if I sent some testers out and the people I sent them to were like,”Still haven’t planted them…” He never fucked with me about not getting to the testers ASAP, though. He just removed me from the tester list haha!

I will admit that I always felt super-guilty about not getting to them right away, though. That’s a serious dick move, for real. You can’t sign up to be a tester and then not do it the right way. My bad. The tester list just didn’t align with my growing schedule. Which is why I wouldn’t throw my hat in the ring even if I ever did get a tester list email thing.

14 Likes

Some smaller guys like sacredskunk something or another on instagram has shared some knowledge on stress testing. re-veging and reflowering the same plant is a pretty common method. I think he said he reflowers twice in the same small pots. I’d say that’s about as thorough as it gets for herm testing especially if you throw in some extra high nitrogen feeds and light leaks

6 Likes

Mean gene and skunktek have an indoor room called the torture room with light leaks where they also transplant in mid flower and infect all the plants with pm :scream_cat:

16 Likes

Silver mountain f2 smoke report

First off I want to apologize for the crappy pics I got a new phone n it sucks at taking nug shots. I think I took some with my camera :camera: so I’ll have to get those up one day.

I’m not sure when I took her down but it was around 8 or 9 weeks. I harvest based on trichomes so I try to go for as much cloudy/milky as I can get.
Dried for 7 days and jarred for I think a month. The nugs look good green and frosty. They are dense but not super dense.

Smells like SSH but with something else lurking in there I’m not sure what. So I throw this girl in the grinder, grind her up and am blown away by the smell. It’s a sharp smell maybe like a chemical or a sharpie or even old mangoe. It’s crazy and dank smelling!

Smoked a fat bowl in my pipe! Nice n smooth on the inhale and exhale not much flavor (I’m sure that’s on my part somewhere). Immediately feel it in the head. As the bowl burns I can notice everything is starting to look HD colors pop more everything looks sharp like I see everything clear. Bowl is gone and i feel nice and high pretty much all head my anxiety is at ease and i can slightly heavy/relaxed in my chest or shoulders.

I originally planned on getting down on halo but this girl makes me want to do something else something active like a hike or workout, shit even yard work. For me this is not relaxing weed this is get shit done weed which I love. On the sample I tried when she was done drying she had a nice clean come down so I’m expecting the same thing.

Overall this is some solid flower for daytime activities. Not so much for pain relief. Again sorry for the cheap pics.

58 Likes

That’s some golden goodness right there. I wonder if Pinball Wizard is anything close with the Wookie dad

11 Likes

Guaranteed it could be found in an F2 generation!

10 Likes

Pics are lovely :clap:

8 Likes

What a killer description, feels like I was there in the couch with you. Thanks! :v:t2:

10 Likes

kush4 x snow lotus x goji sounds interesting to me as well as your ideas, perhaps similar to copas ancient goji release, but potential for dank plants nonetheless

11 Likes