CBD or THC - which is better for pain?

I was going to a heller worker recently for some body work and he suggested doing Qi Gong stretches to help keep the body balanced and keep core important areas strong, in turn helping everything. It was the 8 brocade as seen in this video.

https://youtu.be/3K-0JpiJu-o

1 Like

Thanks for the video. I will try any Thing to keep my body stretched. I donā€™t leave my house as much as I should so I try to get up and walk around and do some simple stretches.

1 Like

I can relateā€¦ Itā€™s as if you are filing a bucket of water that has a holeā€¦ so it never ends and just makes you exhausted.

1 Like

Its interesting to me that the only (so far) more or less actual ā€œscientific studiesā€ dont seem to show CBD as being really effective for pain. THC or some combination with CBD came out far better in the studies. Neither of the two I posted above is really rigorous, and I question some of the techniques they used, but its still interesting.

Obviously, OG folks mostly disagree.

Im trying to grow some mostly CBD bud at the moment, so I will be doing my own testing soon. In the mean time, @Sebrings CBD cream works very well for me.

2 Likes

Hi there! This topic is of high interest for me at the moment as I doubt what to take CBD or THC or mix themā€¦ Read your comments - many people many mindsā€¦ I stumbled upon a post which said: ā€œWhile both are medicinal and have various health-related benefits, itā€™s really only THC distillate that has considerable recreational value. While itā€™s true that CBD can have pleasant, calming effects, itā€™s really only THC that triggers the euphoria that so many cannabis enthusiasts love.ā€ Source: https://capnasystems.com/blog/thc-distillate/

So CBD is more like a remedy to get relaxed from the anxious? correct me if Iā€™m wrong, 'cause Iā€™m a freshman to cannabis growing and taking. Thanks

3 Likes

It will relax the pants off of you, it sometimes gets very unerving for me, when I know I should be really worried about something, and I am not at all.

2 Likes

The trick is trying to sort out what information you can trust and what you cant. Is what you are being told a true fact or is it just marketing hype or is it actual science or is it stoner science or is it urban myth or just some random opinion.

So far as I know, there is no truly rigorous science to back up any of the claims - for THC or CBD.

For instance - that article you posted the link to is from a company that sells equipment to do THC distillation. They have a vested interest in telling you that THC does good things because their profits depend on you believing that.

Most, but not all of the users here on OG seem to feel like CBD is a wonder drug for anything that is wrong with you and THC is for fun. The only two almost scientific studies I have found say just disagree with that, but neither was really very rigorous and both used questionable techniques as far as being good science. So, who know at this point?

Individual reactions to THC and CBD seem to be wildly different and cover a very wide range of effects. In addition, if you are buying products made by someone else, how do you know they are being honest or if they are consistent in production quality or if they are working out of their garage where the rats roam at night or are they doing any lab testing etc etc.

Also, dont forget the power of the placebo effect. At least 1/3 or more of people will feel better and even get better when given a sugar pill they have been told will fix their problem. If you believe it will work, there is a good chance it will work.

At this point I think the only way to know for sure is for you to try it yourself and see how THC and CBD work for you.

3 Likes

Thanks for highlighting such good points.

I bruised my spinal cord about 10 years ago popping my neck. I had a lesion 6 inches long about the size of a cigarette inside the cord starting at c-2. It caused a breakdown of the myelin causing my nerves to cross fire 24-7. I have constant muscle spasms and almost unbearable pain. I have been on a search for a strain to help for years. I would really like to find one of those tooth numbing strains. I have tried the high dollar cbd and all it did was help me sleep but nothing for the pain. I am on a fentanyl patch (35 mcg every 2 days) and it helps some but most days the pain keeps me from doing much. I do have 40 years of every day smoking tolerance built up but I would love to find something to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2 Likes

I feel for you man. Getting old sucks.

I dont know what to suggest. My symptoms are no where near what you are putting up with. I would suggest you find a strain that is the highest THC content you can find. Then find one that is hi in CBD, and try both.

Thats what Im doing. I have some medium to hi strength capsules made up that are mostly THC and really knocks me out. Right now, Im growing a strain that is mostly CBD. I will try both separately, then together.

My current frustrations are because Im looking for a strain that has about a 50/50 mix of THC and CBD, and there are not that many to choose from that are FEM autos. In fact, that one from Dutch Passion is the only one Ive found so far.

Im hoping to have all the options I need to cover different situations and pain levels, but mostly to find out what works best for me. Everyone seems to be different in how this stuff works on them.

You might also Google Rick Simpson Oil or RSO. IIRC, is basically very concentrated extract. I think mostly THC, but dont remember for sure.

I hope you find something that works for you!!

3 Likes

This was from awhile ago but check out the following on some of the various studies on the effects of different cannabinoids:

1 Like

Dont know how I missed that when you first posted it - great reference material!

@Bullskiner65 - Ive only read part of the first link, but it has good info. Looks like CBD has good effects that might directly benefit you.

Spinal Injury Neuroprotectant (moderate) 20mg/kg Cannabidiol-treated Rats Exhibited Higher Motor Score After Cryogenic Spinal Cord Injury

One thing that jumps out at me is the many points of cross over - CBD in various forms helps many conditions, but THC also helps those same conditions. Looks like a combination of both would be best bet.

2 Likes

TL;DR

1. there are different types of pain. What works for one might not work as well for other.

2. to ask thc OR cbd limits oneself ā€¦ I would say that there is a correct balance for the two that works better than 100%/0% or 0%/100%.

3. cannabis as a medicine is much more that just the two cannabinoids. This is why it is crucial that person can grow ones own legally. ā€¦ and 4 plant per person is not enough when one is searching for the best strain ā€¦ hell ā€¦ it is hard to keep a mother alive & keep prepentual grow going on with such a insanely tight limit.

3 Likes

One thing I have more experience than most with is PAIN! It really affects life. I have used both cbd and thc. For me a strong sativa allows me to focus on things besides pain. The pain is there if you think about it, but thatā€™s the trickā€¦ You DONā€™T think about it. A strong indica may actually get rid of the pain, but I lead an active lifestyle, and indicas of that (narcotic) type make me sleepy. So I use sativa for day and indica for sleeping. I found one brand of cbd gummy that absolutely got rid of my pain after 400mg, but after reading that many cbd products contain thc, I suspect that was what got rid of the pain. Cbd is great for muscles, and I use cream for that, just make sure any cbd product you try is full spectrum as most are not and will not do anything for you.

4 Likes

After looking at some of those studies @Northern_Loki linked to above, I think that you are both spot on. A mix as close to full spectrum as possible is likely to be the best option.

2 Likes

@anon32470837 from what I have read I think full plant extractions are the way to go. @Northern_Loki I have done a lot of reading today, thank you for the link.
I read a lot on the treatments for multiple sclerosis as it is very similar to what I am dealing with. I am only dealing with one very large lesion where MS is many small lesions. Most of the studies showed better results full plant extractions than pharmaceuticals for treating the pain and muscle spasms. Iā€™ll be honest, I really did not think the thc/cbd would help me much because I have smoked forever and I had tried the cbd orally and never had much success. There is a good chance I was not dosing high enough but it also might be that I was missing something being all the studies used whole plant extractions.
Iā€™m going to take your advice @anon32470837 and get the highest, most potent THC strain, a good high CBD strain and I would like a 1-1 thc/cbd strain.
What strains are you guys using?

4 Likes

Lebanese landrace has some really high cbd plants. Good to mix with high thc variety in edibles. Thatā€™s what I do. Or if the pain is really bad eat some hash oil.

Most northern landraces ( upper 20ā€™s to upper 30ā€™s latitude or so ) will have( 50%) 1 : 1 ratio in a population.

3 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more regarding types of pain and finding a ratio that works well for it. Also agree regarding plant count. Should be allowed many more non flowering plants for genetic discovery. At times I have flowered plants for a couple or few weeks to reveal the keepers ( that is enough time for this particular type), then outdoors to revert to veg and grow for the season with the good ones and toss the rest. How do you keep a variety healthy with so few? At the very least, plants in veg should not count, including mothers. Not should male plants count.

2 Likes

I have a similar problem to you, C spine injury with 5 vertebrae herniated and pressing into my spinal cord which has no spinal fluid in it to buffer any movement.

I find smoking only acts as a distraction, edibles work well on the pain. I use THC and CBD RSO my THC oil is made from Grand Daddy Purple, and the CBD is from Sebrings Revenge CBD feminized seeds, which is 20-22% CBD and less than 2% THC, very resinous and a great plant to grow, trains really well and handles a lot of stress. Sebring is on this forum, if you have not come across the name yet.

Sleeping is my biggest problem getting into a comfortable position, so I find smoking a bit of CBD before bed improves that, with the oils.

If my neck gets into a full blown pinch, luckily not often, then nothing really helps, except keeping perfectly still, and lots of oil to take the edge off it. It takes time for the CBD to start working on the inflammation and gets better the more you use it.

3 Likes

Howdy shady. Nice to find you here. Sounds like we have similar injuries. I have a herniated/ extruded L5s-1 and L5. Then couple years later fell 18 ft onto my ass and compacted all my vertebrae. I feel yr pain. How many mg cbd do you take a day? What brand? (Or yr own?) 22% cbd? Thatā€™s great! I keep waiting for a strong non fem ibl. Cbd is so expensive where I live. I generally take it for a month or so and then start to Slack off because the pain isnā€™t so bad and the cost is so high.Itā€™s not a two minute cure. You do have to take it with Some regularity to feel itā€™s majic, tho topical creme works right away for me for arthritis. Ingesting hash oil is where itā€™s at for those really bad days for me as well. Itā€™s the only thing that helps. Usually knocks me out but during the moments I am awake there is absolutely NO pain.

2 Likes