Chemical, or Organic. What's really the best?

I never understood why this debate is so heated. Personally I want learn the things I don’t understand. I cannot say which is better for all but am curious about the science when you break it down.

6 Likes

Seems to be an objective, unbiased opinion. I agree!

2 Likes

It really does not matter hydro vs organic.

Grow whatever way is easiest for you to get the best herb you can.

I personally think the organic soil route has a very high cost compared to hydro using powdered nutrients like jacks, megacrop, or even the maxi line+calmag. But it doesn’t matter what you feed the plant with if you can make her happy the whole time. The end result will be the same regardless.

I’ve done it multiple times with the same cultivars repeatedly and the only real difference I’ve seen at all, has been a flipflop of the dominant and secondary smells between the two mediums, but that is it.
Soil might smell a little more complex on the backend, but no difference in taste, high, or quality of the bud between organic water only and full on hydro for me.

I just prefer hydro, it’s easier for me. A lot just prefer organics as it’s easier for them. Both ways will produce the same quality flower if done correctly.

8 Likes

Have you tried drying in a high temp, low RH environment? Or maybe a food dehydrator? :joy:

1 Like

The best is what is right for you
I’ve grown organic, and subs suppersoil , the rev,s living soil , bottled shit , teas but now it’s salts it’s easier and cheaper
And now I’m all about was easy for me

7 Likes

I think it comes down to what’s sustainable in the long run. Unless you have an endless budget anything grown on scale with bottled nutes will cost you a fortune. When I was farming in Trinity County in Northern California 2 guys ran the operation, the one who owned the land was all about using raw organic ingredients to amend the soil and the other guy came from an indoor background and was all about the next best thing on the market. They both grew amazing tree in their chosen environments but with 4 x 100ft light dep green houses and a few hundred full season plants spending thousands on pre blended stuff which in reality is 80% water was not a viable option. One day a bottle of Bloombastic was purchased for $600 then after reading the label we realized we had all the ingredients in the barn already, that was the turning point

9 Likes

A Food dehydrator! You are a Genius! I must try it!

1 Like

You should always be buying the nutrients in bulk powder form if you’re wanting the best value. Organic or salt, don’t need to buy a bottle ^^

5 Likes

Agreed, I wasn’t the one going to the grow shop just the humble farmer.

But also saying that I sleep a lot better at night if I know whatever impact those products have on the biology of the soil is beneficial and what runs in to the water ways is not causing harm. Not to mention all the replacing and dumping of soil is pretty wasteful.

Sounds like hippy shit but hey so does being a stoner

2 Likes

lol want to get really shell shocked? In the industry there is no fancy curing and shit. It’s stored frozen then when it’s needed you freeze dry it and it’s done and gone in under 48 hours.

1 Like

But isn’t that why most prefer craft growers to large scale industrial growers?

2 Likes

sweet well here’s the thing! These are organic farmers growing large crops of weed. Then they store it frozen and freeze dry it and it’s done and gone in 48 hours. So… This is my question…s… are my questions.
IS freeze drying perhaps superior like when I freeze dry my hash?
Does freeze drying take a shit on otherwise superior tasting organic weed?
Is the freeze drying just another process to ensure quality upon delivery ← never old weed.

3 Likes

Can’t say I’ve ever got better cannabis from a store compared to home grown.

4 Likes

mmm that’s another thing. All buds are not created equal, that’s for certain. I’ve had loads of samples brought in and sometimes they are even selling really old weed, or weed that’s been shit kicked by machines. Also, I’ve had nuggets that were excellent. It’s never been all just shitty, that’s for sure. Posers are starting a race to the bottom, they’ll lose to better weed. Some turds even go so far as to put banned substances on their weed. I suppose the “recreational” smoker, whatever the fuck that is, just wants the cheap ass weed? Not like us chronics it’s got to reach a higher bar.

3 Likes

Ok but back to my question from earlier, is a Calcium molecule not a calcium molecule no matter it’s source? I am not trying to argue with anyone and can’t say what is better. Just want to understand the science here. I have no interest in the mine is better than yours argument, it means nothing to me.

2 Likes

I’m just not educated enough in that field to give you an educated answer. Almost need a chemist for that.

1 Like

I hear that, me neither. I know what plants need. I get how soil works. Soil has a complex and elaborate ecology consisting of bacteria, fungi, protozoa and insects. These organisms use the larger organic compounds found naturally in soil and organic amendments as a source of food. When these organisms “eat” the organic material, the breakdown of the material releases ions that plants can use as food (hence “mineralization”). Plant roots will then take up these minerals as needed, or as they become available. I just wonder when created through other processes if these minerals are really any different.
Ok sorry, some times I dig too deep into things and just want to know it all. It’s hard for me to stop thinking, gonna smoke a joint now. :v:

3 Likes

I think I can answer your question. When its combined with something, such as CaCO3, it’s in a molecular form. But it eventually dissociates from the carbonate (CO3 (2-)) into its ionic form of Ca2+. So technically no, a Calcium divalent-cation is a calcium divalent-cation… The difference lies in which its counter anion is. Some forms are more readily able to dissociate to produce more free ionic Ca2+ than other forms. But when a plant uptakes calcium, it can’t tell the difference of the source as it’s up taking the ionic form. Heres a scientific journal explaining the importance of Ca within plants :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Ok, now that is what I am talking about, thanks very much. I am down the rabbit hole reading again. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

In my small experience, when I planted cannabis using chemical fertilizers, every time I smoked I remembered and regretted it. I may have used the wrong fertilizers …

We must also stick to the fact that these fertilizers are unsustainable. Environmental impacts such as widespread contamination. As this generally happens in poor countries, those who are in rich countries do not know about it, and there is no interest in this disclosure. As an example we have children in Africa being enslaved so that Switzerland can make the best chocolate …
I could say more, I know the subject is quite controversial …
When we use chemical fertilizers, we are exchanging 10/20 thousand years of agricultural history, I don’t know, 100 years of modern agriculture (I could be wrong). In addition to the dependence on external inputs.
Another fact is that chemical fertilizers favor certain organisms in the soil, which are generally not beneficial for plants.
Just as hybrids took over the world, and today, we have gone to work to rescue seeds planted in the past, and many have already become extinct.

Another problem I see is the genetic selection of plants adapted to fertilizers and artificial environments, which can lead to extinction …

Finally, if we select plants treated with chemical inputs, we will always be dependent on the industry …
Another example is the pharmaceutical industry, which does not want to cure, only remedy to sell medicine to the north of the person.
Agribusiness also acts like this, selling low-quality seeds, often contaminated, addicted to chemical fertilizers, forcing farmers to use their inputs …

edition: It depends on what factors we consider, my analysis is comprehensive, not limited only to cannabis production, but the entire chain involved and your interests …

7 Likes