CSI Humboldt Seeds

@SillySausage

Me too. I’m becoming of the mindset that one should select for effects, then breed out the herm trait instead of the other way around.

Some of the iconic fire strains came from herms and many of them still carry it as you know.

4 Likes

That’s it man, I’ve just chopped a grow containing a few of those legendary ‘accidents’. Got some TK, Chem 91 and Sour genes in there. Miraculously I didn’t experience any intersex or other major issues.

Although @Growgrassblowglass I had to take my two 5150 TK x Chem 91 a bit earlier at 10.5 weeks due to an extremely wet and cold spring, I have decent environmental control but the humidity at night was becoming unmanageable and the buds are like rocks so made the decision to chop everything.

I don’t usually like growing from the winter into the spring/summer, orher way around is much more preferable.

2 Likes

Score indeed :metal:

1 Like

I was taught to run a plant 3 times before making a decision on the plant.Run her 2 times indoors and 1 outdoors.

6 Likes

Here’s a couple of CSI plants a few weeks old.
They’re so precocious at this stage!

Both have been topped once.

This is Irene Kush x Lemon Party.

And a Little Red Riding Hood (Zkittles x Mendo Purps) freebie

33 Likes

I’ve been wanting to grow that Irene x Lemon Party. Just popped some Lemon G x Lemon Party.

24 Likes

Nice! Caleb threw in a Lemon Tree x Lemon Party freebie with my order. Think he was suggesting going full lemon. That G x Party should be interesting.

3 Likes

He mentioned it being one of his favorite lemon party hybrids, I’m not the biggest fan of the lemon G due to the lack of potency but figured the cross would bring out the lemons and I could dust it with either some Rugburn or HA OG. Excited to see what your Irene does.

3 Likes

Day 17 of flower for these 5150 Tk x Chem 91, quite a bit of stretch and my 5 foot tent is about maxed out :sweat_smile:
Going to zip tie the lights to the top of the tent tomorrow for an extra couple inches

And @SillySausage im leaning my lesson on how inconvenient managing the humidity is in spring… hopefully it’s a bit drier in a handful of weeks as I get closer to finish. Were trichomes cloudy at 10.5 or not quite? I’m planning for like 12 weeks, but might have to follow suit if the humidity gets unmanageable

21 Likes

Yea !! can’t believe the “extras” they give one — the most any breeder/bank ever gives - been ordering for years and NEVER gotten freebies like CSI gives

3 Likes

Unsure on the sour you have but the chem cuts and the TK don’t herm, period. Can get some late nanners if they’re stressed but that’s it. No balls.

I don’t buy this “good weed comes from herms” line. Sounds a lot more like justification to me, as the best plants/smoke I’ve had, come from plants that don’t herm.

8 Likes

probably because we aren’t getting middled

6 Likes

Hey looking good man. Yeah, this time of year can be challenging for my set up. I’ve started shutting down for the summer, starting again September/October time. It costs so much more to try to cool things down than to heat things up.

Was looking back at my pics to try and give you more of an idea about what to expect from the stretch from here…

My 5150 TK x Chem 91 at 11 days flower:

!
!

13 Days:

!

18 Days:

20 Days:

Later in flower:

!
!

Went down an ADHD rabbit hole with this, wasted half my day trying to find the pics and match the dates :sweat_smile:

Could have just said they stretch for a solid 4 weeks. Hope it helps! :joy:

25 Likes

That’s good to know mate. I want to explore my TK and Chem crosses more. Don’t have much experience with them.

I guess I was referring to hearing that OG’s Sours and Chem’s can be finicky and doubting my own skills, I’m just pleased I had such a smooth run with so many new strains.

The Sour is Sowahh from Karma.

4 Likes

They definitely do crossed out. The clones themselves were kept for obvious reason they don’t herm, their progeny can and some will. Chemdog especially, but sour d is worse. Years of work with these lines. Go buy the same s1’s from a different company and you will get the same results no matter who you go to. There is no special way or secret chemical to make s1’s that CSI and a thousands of others at this point don’t know. Their progeny can herm period. So does almost all of Neviles work and DJ Short blueberry list can go on…actually growing and breeding will show that fact to anyone.

I always laugh when people say breed out herms…like people somehow have a magical way of seeing a plants genetic code and the results of millions upon millions of recombination possibilities. Perhaps when we have crispr fully functional for MJ /shrug. Until then breeders are just guessing and playing powerball odds while acting like they have accomplished something that hundreds of thousands of years of evolution inbedded in this plant.

I would love to hear your theory on how the ‘breeding’ was done wrong on these strains and how it’s the breeders fault…

They all carry herm genes. These clones aren’t new and neither are the people working with them for over 20 years now. There is no special technique to spraying reversal hormones I assure you.

So go on go reverse these clones you have and let us know how you “bred” out the herms…maybe if you spray the hormones from the left? Perhaps the right? A 190 degree angle? Oh all the special techniques one can try when selfing…

6 Likes

I’m not trying to reverse these clones nor do I own any s1 beans of any chem or OG cut for precisely the reasons you mentioned.

I’ve worked with some of them a bit and yeah they do throw some herms in the offspring. But the cuts I mentioned are stable to run themselves. I like the plants that don’t throw balls better than the ones that do. Offspring or not.

7 Likes

The simple fact that there are potent and stable cultivars proves that there’s no link between the potency and herm traits.

No real magical way but testing the plant, and test its progeny

That’s precisely what makes possible to breed out herms. Just have to find the ones that don’t carry the this trait (if possible). Shuffle the cards again if not.

Selection by human works way faster than evolution through natural selection.

3 Likes

great pics, nice room, nice training.

1 Like

The simple fact that the effects of most non-herming cannabis hybrids are the same as those of most other non-herming cannabis hybrids doesn’t prove the opposite, but it does deserve some more exploration. Just in case there’s a link between good highs that have disappeared and herms.

1 Like

haha yah im on day 18 of flower today and the stretch has drastically slowed but still hasnt quite stopped… today was the first day i came down and they were only like half an inch to an inch taller than yesterday vs like 3 inches a day for the past week and a half, then theres the height gained when the top colas start to form :grimacing:
its gonna be tight, might just have to keep the light intensity a bit on the low end so’s not to burn them. going to do some bending today, did a bit the other day and came back the next morning to a broken dead top branch :unamused:
also was cleaning my blumat drippers and i think the 1 carrot was turned a full turn tighter than the other 2, and it was the smallest plant of the 3 :thinking:
well see if im right, itll either have some runoff now and ill adjust back, or be even better watered!

3 Likes