Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

Yeah, I love that article so much, read it probably a hundred times. I’ve got two books of collections of the author’s articles that he wrote (mostly for Rolling Stone), things I read when I was a kid because my mom had a subscription. Probably not stuff a twelve-year-old should be reading haha, but they were laying around, so I read them. Mike Sager’s a good writer, wrote about all kinds of shit that really captured my imagination as an adolescent and helped me be like,”Fuck this. I’m getting the fuck outta Tampa ASAP,” haha.

I miss the days when Rolling Stone had great writers…

2 Likes

Man, I was like,”Maybe I should grab another one of Sager’s collections,” just now and started looking around. I didn’t even realize he wrote that article “The Pope of Pot.” Not sure if you’ve ever read that one, but that was another one that I read when I was like thirteen that was just, like, mind-blowing haha. It was like,”Shit… Sometimes it takes me two days and four different connections to get a bag of weed in Tampa, but in NYC, they’re getting it delivered on bikes in thirty minutes! That’s it! I’m outta here when I turn eighteen!” hahaha…

2 Likes

I’m gonna look it up! For me, it was finding this book in the library when I was seventeen, opened my eyes up to the scale and history of the relationship between humans and hemp or cannabis.

3 Likes

Here it is: Mary Ellen Mark

Reading that shit in Rolling Stone when I was a kid… Man… It really was like,”There’s a whole fucking world out there…” haha.

2 Likes

Ohhhh that’s fuckin sick dude, thank you! I studied photojournalism and specifically street photography and photo essay stuff, she’s one of my favorites

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess she took the photos for that article. Although there’s only one posted with that article haha.

2 Likes

Had to wash the saucers and pot elevators so I got the girls out for a photo shoot today, I’m contemplating stretch and considering turning them to 12/12 this weekend. On the one hand, I like growing trees, on the other, I don’t want to overwhelm my tent. I think I want them a little bigger still.

By the way, I love and recommend these elevators to everyone, I think they keep my roots happy and drained and they’re indestructible:

First up on the runway, Cinderella 99:

Next, Cindy Mix:

And now Smart Move:

Last, but definitely not least, Nigerian Sunshine x Apollo 11/13:

12 Likes

New favorite academic paper title:

3 Likes

I like how the “contemporary figures” strain names in that paper included Charlie Sheen haha. And named that one first! Totally forgot about that ol’ “Charlie Sheen OG.”

Those strains, like Sheen and Michael Phelps OG and Obama OG and whatever, seemed to me to be a similar thing to those old “planetary OG’s” I mentioned somewhere else: people just slapping names on shit and renaming them or whatever. Because it was like they all just showed up one day and disappeared just as quickly. I mean, what? Charlie Sheen goes on that insane “tiger blood” rant or whatever and like two weeks later, there’s Charlie Sheen OG in every dispensary? Michael Phelps gets caught hitting a bong and a week later there’s a Phelps OG? Gimme a break…

Sounds like an interesting study, though haha. I’m gonna read it all the way through later. I love Chocolope, so… haha!

4 Likes

Seeing as I went hard on the sativas this round, with an all-Jack Herer based selection (with added Nigerian and Thai), next time through I’m switching it up. Looking at the holes in my stash choices, after some contemplation I’ve figured out what the next flower run is going to be and pulled out the seeds to warm up before getting them wet tomorrow. It was a tough one, I’m starting to like themes that link the strains in a multi-strain grow together, and I spent some time brainstorming ways to link all four together in a chain of genetics, I’ll post some of those later as thought experiments.

In the end, practicality won. At the end of the day (couple days really) it was clear that the obvious need I have is for indicas, so half this one is going to be heavy hitters. The other absence in the stash is Diesels or Chems, other than that Black Lime Reserve x GSD tester I just did for Copa. One of those was pretty boring, the other one has rotten butter and diesel going on (not weed “diesel” actual diesel with the oily richness) and I miss that kind of tang.

So, the second flower lineup at the Magic Wand Factory this winter is going to be some combination of 4-6 of these seeds:

3x Bodhi Seeds/@Oldjoints - Blue Tara F3
3x Copa Genetics - Icy Grape
3x @Tonygreen 's Tortured Beans - Sowah Grapefruit
3x @LouDog420 - (4SD x Chem DD) x Sour Jack

Blue Tara is Bubbashine (Bubba Kush x Blue Moonshine) crossed to Snow Lotus (Afgooey x Blockhead X18-dom)

Icy Grape is Purple Zkittles (SMMJ cut) x 1996 Sensi Black Domina #1-4

Sowah Grapefruit is (New York Candy Orange x Gorilla Bubble) x Sowahh (Karma’s Sour Diesel BX4)

NYCO is New York City Diesel x Agent Orange by Dr P. of Catnip Seeds, the mom in Sowah Grapefruit is from @LouDog420 's selection after crossing Gorilla Bubble generations into the NYCO:

Tons of great photos from Tonygreen here:

4SD is Chemdog #4 x Sour Diesel IBL 2007 by Rez
Chem DD is the same but with the D
Sour Jack is Sour Diesel IBL x Jack Herer #22 by Karma

Big hopes for these diesels and Chems to make my eyes water in a few months! Who knows what I’ll think by the time I get there but for the last flower run this year I’m thinking two Durban hybrids and maybe some heirlooms. I have Dubba Bubba (Durban x pre '98 Bubba) from Hazeman and African Queen (Durban x C99) from FDM. Heirlooms could be any of the Overgrow seeds I’ve gotten in boxes that aren’t tropical sativas, maybe the NL5, Purple Urkle or Sour Bubble? Or maybe Sweet Tooth, ESB, or Ortega from FDM. Who knows where my head will be at by then.

15 Likes

Sick lineup dude, and I can second the recommendation for those pot risers, use em myself! :call_me_hand:t2::v:t2:

4 Likes

Got the $10 sample kit from MegaCrop, they threw in some kelp and a 15% discount code besides the three pounds of one-part. I actually needed kelp meal to make extract with but I’ll just use the soluble now and save the work until I need meal to amend soil with again. Pretty cool! Hard to argue with the price to get a chance to play with some salts in the future, this will be plenty for a grow or two. I kinda want to try a single or two-plant grow this summer with salts in either coco with drippers or a homemade SIP as a fuck it let’s learn experiment. Probably grow a strain I’ve done in dirt and see how the differences are, maybe just crank out more C99 since that’s my staple everyday weed and a real stable performer for comparison.

5 Likes

So, in the deciding what to grow, this is where I ended up:

And this is how I got there:

I was sorely tempted by the idea of an all-Moonshine run of SSDD BX1, Blue Tara, GSD F6, and Purple Moonshine, might revisit that one. Or I also considered a Tonygreen/Copa grow of Gorilla Bubble, Sowah Grapefruit, Icy Grape, and Zip Tape. Then there was the all-heirloom indica idea of Sweet Tooth, 88G13HP, Tuna Kush, and @Budderton 's P1 Afghani project. Or all Blueberry with Blueberry Muffin/Vintage BB, ESB, Sweet Tooth, and Blue Bubble. The most “six degrees of Kevin Bacon” idea was @HolyAngel 's SSDD BX1, which leads to Copa GSD, then Tony’s Gorilla Bubble, finishing with Sour Bubble, each link connected by a parent. So many ideas, so few tents!

13 Likes

Tagged up, always watch out for weird shit with my beans. All are untested progeny (I chuck for preservation mainly) but the 4sd x chemdd mom was pretty nice and the sour jack male was tested for intersex stability with a healthy yield and vigor. Hopefully you find something nice.

The NYCO in tony’s Sowah Grapefruit was from me as well, a killer plant with heavy orange grapefruit terps.

Good vibes,
LD

9 Likes

Thanks @LouDog420 , I’ll keep an eye on them. I run a small number of flowering plants so I’m usually all over them pretty frequently. I saw that the original Chem DD release had some issues with intersex, hoping that the sorta incross to 4SD stabilized that out, but I bought the ticket so I’m taking the ride! I’m really interested to take a look at your work, you’re preserving some great stuff that I think most people aren’t. I might have to hit the Beans 4 St Jude fundraiser up again, you’ve got some newer stuff I’m interested in since the last time I donated. I love that you and Tony are working together, good vibes all around and killer weed too!

4 Likes

I was just doing some supercropping on the C99 and I realized I should share this tool I found that I really like. I had seen the advice to use a pair of vice grips and dial them down, but I found a nice 4" mini pair of Bernard pliers in a junk store and they’ve been amazing. Mine are from the 40’s but they haven’t changed since then, the picture below is a very similar modern one. The Bernard or parallel jaw plier is probably most recognizable as the GI wire puller and cutter from WWII or for anyone who’s ever pulled fencing for grazing stock. The original design has a groove in the middle of the jaws facing forward for the wire to seat into and grip better. They’re also just great for applying flat linear clamping force for lots of projects, they get used in dentistry and a million other fields. Definitely a good precise crushing tool for my stems, I clamp and then twist above a little, then rotate the pliers around and up and down a little, clamping at each stop of the rotation. I think it’s really helpful for those older woodier stalks that want to split real bad, they seem to split less and heal faster this way.

7 Likes

beautiful grow, bro!
could you give me feedback on hazeman genetics? did you like to grow his genetics, did you find something special there?

4 Likes

Sure @weedcvlt I’m a fan. I’ve grown LA Pure Kush, White Tiger, and C99 from him and they’ve all been rock solid. All my plants from him have been stable and vigorous, the LAPK and WT were little old school quiet but nice in the terp loudness and profile but definitely quality. C99 was chunky and pretty loud with the tropical fruit, but a lot different structure and more indica looking buds than the FDM C99 I grew, though the high was still zooty, just foggier. I will get more seeds from him and I definitely recommend them, email him at hazemanseeds@gmail.com and ask for the list, it’s the cheapest and the best selection, he gives a free whole pack of his choice with every order so it’s sort of worth spreading it out. Cash or money order in the mail to Michigan, he serves back quick. He’s been making seeds a long time and has a ton of genetics that are the real deal for less than other folks sell them for.

7 Likes

I’ve got a pack of his NL1 I wanna get into sometime, probably do a seed increase too

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for the feedback @Dirt_Wizard! I want to cultivate his genetics, I was looking at the crosses with bubba kush and the crosses with cheese, I even sent him an email, but the payment method is a little complicated, here in Brazil sending money by letter is prohibited and if they take that money they don’t give it back. I was looking for some seedsbank that work with his genetics, soon I’ll get some of his strains!
thank you again!

5 Likes