First grow in central India - araku

Godspeed, may they live and grow to be strong and potent.

3 Likes

Iā€™m getting excited for you! I love when the plants start producing flowers. After a month or two you will know which plant is going to be the best. Iā€™m thinking this minty plant is going to be special at the momentā€¦

1 Like

Thanks brother. I too am excited about the minty one. Though I am exited for all the plants but minty one seems to be the most vigorous with the probably hermaphrodite one. So I am exited. Cheers

3 Likes

Update

Good news we have 3 females as of now and 1 male from a lot of 7 plants across both the spots

Spot 1 -

Top view

Male Plant - I uprooted this plant as i am trying to keep the females seedless

The lone female at this spot the other plant has not shown any sort of sex signs. So, hopping it turns out to be a female.

Spot 2 -

Top View

The plant throwing minty smell has turned out to be female and has just started to show sex signs

the others at this spot have not started to show any sex.

Cheers

16 Likes

Iā€™ve got some araku seeds here. Iā€™ve been looking for info on the strain. Whatā€™s the flowering time like? Iā€™m guessing kinda long since itā€™s tropical. Nice grow btw

3 Likes

Yes itā€™s long, 14 + weeks from the breeders info .

2 Likes

Iā€™m interested in seeing if this is the flowering time after flowers begin to form or if this is the time experienced indoors after flipping lightsā€¦

1 Like

Outdoor in the ground they would be huge , im definitely going to try one

2 Likes

Generally plants in their native area flower from mid September to late Jan/early feb.

1 Like

Yes sir absolutely, plus the stretch is indeed real. Lol

2 Likes

Hey all, an update on the grow, with some bad news
One of the plants died, well the first one to flower died. something ate the roots of that plant.

aside from that the other one at spot 1 is a female.

so thats a good thing

while all the plants at spot 2 seem to be females

and i required some advice regarding something i found lurking among the plants if anybody can tell me what it is, it would be greatly appreciated

5 Likes

Not sure what that isā€¦a beetle of some sort maybe. Too bad you lost the plant. Sounds like the type of thing that would be caused by a cut worm, nematodes, or something like a pocket gopherā€¦ nematodes will leave knotty growth on the rootsā€¦
Good female numbers at least.

3 Likes

I am happy you shared this grow with us! I have to say I donā€™t know much about Indian landraces and the strains that grow in this particular area (Araku Valley). Is Sheelavathi one of many strains that grow here? Or is it the only strain that grows around here, and shows a lot of phenotypic variation? Has Araku Mango anything to do with Sheelavathi or are they 2 completely different strains?

3 Likes

They are different strains altogether. Sheelawathi is a relative( daughter) of Kerala strains

1 Like

Yes, grandchild of Idukki and child of Kerala. It was my understanding that Sheelavathi is mostly grown in Andhra Pradesh and Orrisa. Arakku Valley beeing one of the places. I assumed there would be more than one strain growing there, I just didnā€™t know exactly.

1 Like

Sheelavati is grown everywhere from orrisa to Andhra and Chattisgarh, though each place has had hybridization since seeds travel from places to places without much documentation, so itā€™s very difficult to determine the parents of any one particular strain. That said araku is know for itā€™s mango flavour which is very dominant in the flower that comes out from that area, while sheelavati is known to have a spicy flavour, mostly found in strains from orrisa

8 Likes

Those were the details I was looking for. Your feedback is much appreciated, sir!

3 Likes

Have you grown any south Indian variety?

1 Like

I havenā€™t grown anything yet. Right now Iā€™m just connecting with people, absorbing as much information as I possibly can and preparing for my first grow for 2024 season.

2 Likes

Hello. I collect and preserve landrace genetics and this grow is fascinating. Thank you for all the history and local background information. Also, the pictures of the surrounding area are very helpful to show me the local climate. How did your plants turn out ?

3 Likes