Good problem to have...winter grow in Maine

I’ve decided to keep growing through the winter…so need to get some space set up in the basement or upstairs in the attic. Basement offers much more space, upstairs would be easier to heat…so haven’t decided yet but need to settle that soon.

I also have a pretty good variety of seeds at this point, so I’ll need to decide what to grow. That’s the “good problem” part. People on OG have been quite generous…and I have NO idea how I’ll choose what to pop. I have 1 or 2 strains that are tropical, like Mango Mauii, which would typically never finish up here, but if I pop them in Feb, they should have enough time. Kind of a “force fit”, growing Hawaiian strains in Maine, but hey, why not? :slight_smile:

I have 4 autos started that need to be up potted now, and I was going to stick with autos just due to space…but I also took 6 cuttings from the “red bud” plant mentioned elsewhere and those are regulars, so they’ll need some space come end of Nov. That looks like a strain that would be worth preserving. I may grow those out and take a bunch of cuttings, which I read that if done properly, they can be stored for quite some time in a fridge, so will be researching that a bit more.

Anyway…should be interested, and I’ll post updates here as things progress.

Lob

16 Likes

name them autos

I have some Amnesia Haze and some Widow Maker, to start with.
I did a few crosses this summer. I have some Black Widow I created with Gambian and Widow Maker, both autos.
I’ve also done a few crosses between autos and photos to hopefully create some “fast” strains. Those include Widow Maker Auto X Peanut Butter Breath Photo, Widow Maker Auto X Alien Monkey Photo. I haven’t harvested those seeds yet, but should be ready in another 2wks.

Lob

3 Likes

sounds good. have you done a grow journal for the WM auto??

tropical sativas under HID would be a strong tonic against the winter blues. :call_me_hand:

I’d be tempted to add a small saltwater tank myself :sunglasses:

4 Likes

No…figured I’d just cover everything here…

Lob

2 Likes

Well pop some beans always like to check out everyone’s grows.

I’m having trouble this fall finding bulk perlite. I mix about 50% coco coir, 20% perlite, 20% compost, and 10% worm castings. In the past I’ve bought perlite in the big 4cuft bales… Can’t find them this fall.
Might have to buy a couple of smaller bags just to get me going…have to get these babies and clones potted up soon.
Will get picks out today or tomorrow.

Lob

3 Likes

Sometimes you can find the big perlite bags in places you wouldn’t expect— try materials yards (ie soil/gravel) & out of the way hardware stores.

@Lobstah - I was recommended to try seed from Mainer breeders out here in Hawaii, specifically for the faster flowering times. We both have humidity in spades I guess? Mine steam, yours fog? :sweat_smile: :v:

Who are the Maine based breeders?

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like
1 Like

So a hurricane is blowing off shore, headed up by Nova Scotia, so we’ve got REALLY high winds on the hill I live on. My seedlings were getting pummeled out on the deck, so finally moved them into the basement, repotted, and hit the low level lights:

Went with some pretty big pots, cuz they’re going to be in there for awhile, maybe until harvest.

Lob

4 Likes

I grabbed six more cuttings yesterday, and picked up some rooting hormone, since I can’t find mine (fuqin’ old age, CRS.).
Cuttings are in a ziplock, in the fridge. I’ll deal with them on Saturday. Probably try the coir cups again, but with some bottom heat this time.

Also another shitty day for bud rot here on the coast. 8am, solid fog along the coast. Out of the buds I harvested Monday, maybe 25 or so, I found 3 dime-sized bits of rot, so got them just in time.

Lob

2 Likes

not sure of time requirements but did a quick internet search amazon, home depot, lowes, and lot more places offer the 4 cu/ft some show free shipping. i know how seasonal things are hard to find at times in our neck of the woods.

2 Likes

i can recommend Copa Genetics a maine based breader. check out the breeders lab thread under copa genetics. i have posted many updates for the testers i ran for them outdoors this season, along with many others who who also ran tester this year. lots of people have discovered copa genetica and like the genetics and buds by copa.
both dc seed exchange and great lakes genetics carry this product. i have only used dc seed exchange so far. they are an outstanding place to do business with for sure. happy growing!

3 Likes

It’s fall in Maine, and the leaves are turning.
We get beautiful fall foliage this time of year:

Lob

6 Likes

I’m in the same boat trying to decide which strains to start for my winter grow .
I just posted in my multi strain thread asking for ideas .

It definitely would be so much easier if a guy only had a couple 3 choices to choose from but when there’s a couple hundred plus it boggles the mind trying to decide.

Good luck with choosing a few.

3 Likes

Freeze and frost warnings posted for several counties Monday night…
Where the fruq did THAT come from, on Oct 3?
I’ve harvested about half of my one plant…not going to be able to get much more, leaving to visit the grandbaby this morning, won’t be back til Monday afternoon.

Wow.

Lob

1 Like

Winter grow plants are coming along downstairs, still harvesting buds from my Peanut Butter Breath down back…which means it’s trimming time. I’ve been able to harvest somewhat slowly, taking the ripest buds every day or so.
And THAT means, it’s burping time. I have 4 large mason jars on the counter now, will trim another 4 jars today. I read a few years ago that you should burp every day for 14 days, then once a week for 2mos…so that’s what I’m doing.

Lob

2 Likes

Get yourself some grove bags to try no burping required .

2 Likes

Just checked on my ladies downstairs, everyone seems pretty happy right now. Will get some pics maybe tomorrow.
I have 3 Amnesia Haze Autos that are coming right along. Was planning on reversing one, but might do 2 in case I screw one up.
Besides, can you really have too many AHA Fem seeds? :slight_smile:

So I need to dig the STS out of my downstairs fridge and mix up a batch. I’m sure I waited too long before starting the process this past summer. Want to do my first spray before the weekend.

Lob

3 Likes