Grand Daddy Purple - Beginner First Grow

Grand Daddy Purple - Beginner First Grow
This was my first grow (Jan 22, 2022) and as of Apr 21, 2022 I’m on my second grow which includes Grand Daddy Purple clones from first mother plant, Jack Herer, Bubba Kush, and White Widow to continue my search of what I can grow well!

The following drama is my first attempt…

First time grower attempting to finish first plant ever! A few details that may help others assess my current first grow. Originally had 2 plants in this tent but discovered the gifted Revolver seed was an Auto and moved to separate tent. This left me with the scrogged one plant currently in tent. Plant is Grand Daddy Purple grown from seed (seed bank based in California). Did some late LST as I learned about it as I went! Thought I knew more than I actually do! The more I learned about maximizing yield on the lovely plant, I confirmed I didn’t know SQUAT about this plant!!! So I scrambled to regain some control of the plant with stretchy trellis netting, adjustments in pH, nutrients, LST, HST, water, just about everything! Man, what a racket and learning curve but this is exciting! Looking forward to doing better and better…

10-20-21 - Seed germinated and planted in party cup.

Transplanted 3 times between solo party cup, 1 Gal, 3 Gal, and 7 Gal. plastic pots.

Used Botanicare Products:

• Pure Blend Pro (Veg)
  • Cal-Mag (Veg)
  • Silica Blast (Veg)
  • Great White Mycorrhizae
  • Pure Blend Pro Bloom Formula (Bloom)
  • Cannazym and Canna Boost (Bloom)
  • Ph adjusted RO water
  • Soil includes Hydrofarm Light Warrior Soilless Mix for clones and seedlings
  • Fox Farm Ocean Forest and worm castings for all other potted plant stages.

General equipment:

• Lighting: Spider Farmer S2000
  • 2x4x6 grow tent
  • AC Infinity Air Fan and Filter
  • CO2 tank with solenoid valve and Autopilot meter aiming for (1200 ppm)

Forgot to mention that a while back I got 9 clones off current GDP mother plant. Will select a couple for the next grow when current grow is done in a week.

Continued…

33 Likes

Looks good.

I use pure blend pro veg and bloom and calmag and not the others.

7 Likes

Whole bunch of color changes. The sea of orange/yellow messed with my lens but you get the gist here. Checked trichomes to find about 20% amber?

A couple of hours into the adjustment and I’m maintaining steady 53-55RH. Had to rig the setup with open intake on side of tent and humidifier on floor and set on lowest setting while aimed at intake with circulating carbon filter fan on medium. The one gallon humidifier can go all day. Will check hourly to make sure it doesn’t go higher but last couple of hours have been a pretty good indicator until next stage of improvement.

16 Likes

Rockin. Appreciate the journal. Great work. Keep on growing! GDP is a favorite of mine. I just completed my first attempt at reversing a plant with a Grand Daddy Purp. The flavor…… mmmmhmmmm… That one’ll treat ya right. :yum:

2 Likes

I recently added the controller to my AC infinity, its beyond helpful. You can schedule humidity controls and monitor RH/temp/VPD without needing to check inside the tent

2 Likes

February 10, 2022

Had a sample smoke yesterday evening. What began as a light euphoric effect evolved into much more. Initially noticed how smooth and cough free majority of smoke was. Mighty proud at that moment. Really amazed at the smoothness! I was there during the grow and regulated all nutrients and ongoing PPM levels. No junk left in this plant by the time I cut her down. I wondered if it was all I would feel since I grew it myself. At the moment I was still doubting myself and the quality of weed I had grown. That was 2 hits off a little one hitter pipe.

Immediately decided it was best and certainly time to break out the wide bottom decanter style water pipe pictured below! Packed a 14mm bowl and smoked away. Starts with a euphoric mental high. I knew it was Indica dominant so wasn’t sure how long any minor Sativa effects would last before the couch lock if any. Remember, I was still doubting the quality. The head high was as strong as anything else I’ve smoked recently (mostly indica dominant strains) but much longer!

A potent head to toe high. Sat down to catch up on Season 3 Episode ? of TV series ‘High Maintenance’. Yeah, I’m still trying to finish that show. I’m a busy guy ya know and terrible at finishing any series in reasonable time. Haven’t even started ‘Game of Thrones’ yet. Did I make some of you scream with that? Yep.

The head and body high progressed into a strong comfortably numb paradise. This was a strong sensation folks. Then a voracious munchies apatite! OMFG! Went through remaining half a Family pack of Oreos leaving three or four to feel better about myself. Followed by 2 boiled eggs in the fridge. Followed by microwaved slice of Lasagna. Chased all of it down with fruit punch, Coca Cola, and Bubbly Cucumber water. These were the fun foods that were immediately within my reach at the time. Remember, I had doubts that I would get stoned.

Next, I wanted to lay in bed watching YouTube TV and YouTube in general. Laying there I tuned into several subscription channels and found myself in and out of consciousness. Very comfortable and rested. Slept like a log. Woke up this morning at 4:30 am fully charged and ready to start my day! No hangover or drowsiness. Any minor aches or early morning difficulties gone. Sprang out of bed fully rested unlike any over the counter nightime sleep aids which leave me groggy for half the morning.

I am humbled and amazed! Just in the last year, I’ve sampled some 15 different strains from suppliers.

I don’t want to say this here or anywhere, but this first grow is some of the best fuckin’ weed I’ve ever smoked. Kicked my butt for remainder of the evening

Thank You GDP

This is the result of a cannabis community coming together to help a first time grower. I was there when asking the questions and seeking advice and directive on what to do next at every stage of grow. I was there sorting through advice and finding what fit me best. We were all there when it came time to cut here down, dry, and now curing.

Thank You all for helping and teaching me achieve these results!

Next generation lining up now. Had these seedling and GDP clones going in another small grow tent while I finished my first GDP plant. Trying to calculate (with nothing going wrong) from seed, when to start growing or cloning for next rotation was not easy for this first time grower. I figured I can always get rid of a plant or two vs. not having enough and waiting for plants to grow. These seedlings include:
Grand Daddy Purple (clones), White Widow, Bubba Kush, Jack herer, Mendo Purp, and Blue Dream.

Really focusing on getting that Jack herer going with it’s Sativa dominant effects.
From Leafy:
"Jack Herer, also known as “JH,” “The Jack,” “Premium Jack,” and “Platinum Jack” is a sativa-dominant marijuana strain that has gained as much renown as its namesake, the marijuana activist and author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes. Combining a Hazehybrid with a Northern Lights #5 and Shiva Skunk cross, Sensi Seeds created Jack Herer hoping to capture both cerebral elevation and heavy resin production. Its rich genetic background gives rise to several different variations of Jack Herer, each phenotype bearing its own unique features and effects. However, consumers typically describe this 55% sativa hybrid as blissful, clear-headed, and creative.

Jack Herer was created in the Netherlands in the mid-1990s, where it was later distributed by Dutch pharmacies as a recognized medical-grade strain. Since then, this spicy, pine-scented strain has taken home numerous awards for its quality and potency. Many breeders have attempted to cultivate this staple strain themselves in sunny or Mediterranean climates, and indoor growers should wait 50 to 70 days for Jack Herer to flower."

No matter what direction we take with next grow, updates coming soon!

19 Likes

UPDATE:
Just finished 3rd week of flower for second grow. I flipped several GDP clones from original first grow plant.

12 Likes

Fattening up a bit. Flower week Fivish… GDP clones, White Widow, Bubba Kush, and Jack Herer! Narrowing down my preferred strains. During this second grow attempt I noticed I haven’t written down every maintenance detail. Paying close attention to the weight of pots and days between watering. Also intentionally reduced the percentage of nutes as first grow had heavy PPM runoff.

White Widow

10 Likes

April 21, 2022

Sneek a peek through vent this morning. Some colors are fading as I near end of week 7 ish…

16 Likes

Looks awesome

2 Likes

The more you get used to it, the more the way it affects you for the munchies lessens. I dont get the munchies with GDP anymore. Close to the number 1 slot for me as a pain killer and general coma generator lol.

I grew GDP for 3 years, tried reversing the mother to make more seeds, then I lost all my clones to mites half way through the mother reversal, which didn’t work :sob: Still got about 20 grams left in a jar.

You did a great job for a first grow man :+1:

6 Likes

I like your style Brother.
By the looks of things, you’re a natural. Good job.

3 Likes

Really huh? I’m all about the pain relief and never considered GDP I haven’t smoked it in a long time either so can’t really remember. Now I’m intrigued and have added it to the list.

2 Likes

Great job on this grow, looks awesome .

1 Like

Plants are looking wonderful, never tried GDP but it’s certainly looking gorgeous!

1 Like

Nice work! Looking stellar for only getting your feet wet. You’ve come to the right place. Thanks for posting. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Excellent write-up… but I gotta say… I love that bong!

I have a couple old ship’s decanters that would fit in perfectly with that…

Cheers
G

2 Likes

It’s watering time. Last watering had 700 ppm runoff water so I added no nutrients. I’ll be going with ph balanced water only for next 10-14 days as plants near end of flower. Among the nutrients used in this grow is Canaboost for flowering stage. My question is can I add my Cannaboost and nothing else to the ph balanced water?

2 Likes

Hello. Nice grow. The GDP needs heavy feeds and low temps to get the purple to pop.

Check out my thread Mel franks GDP run

I had the pleasure of meeting with the GDP crew recently at the summit lounge where I’m from.

Look forward to seeing where this grows.

2 Likes

Yes, but you might as well just feed them. There is no hard data to show flushing removes anything from a plant before chopping. From what I have read, you can improve potency by stressing them, not watering them and putting them in total darkness for 3 or 4 days before chopping, but not feeding, just causes the plant to move transient nutrients and minerals from the leaves to the buds, to keep them growing, until none are left and it enters senescence, they still remain in the plant.

I have never flushed my organic soil plants and they are always smooth and great tasting buds, unless I just dont like the flavour of it of course.

1 Like