How many f5+ seeds are out there on OG?

You can take something to F22 and keep the genetic pool open by using several different plants rather than one male and one female. You may know this but just thought I’d point out those further generations don’t necessarily equate to stability or uniform plants unless they were selectively bred that way.

4 Likes

I’ll definitely keep that in mind for f6! How’s the sour bubble?

1 Like

It’s fantastic, a classic for good reason imho. Makes for great hybrids too.

1 Like

I appreciate the input because I didn’t actually know that! Could we talk about this more in the PM’s?

1 Like

I got some Santa Maria F9 and South Florida OG F12.

6 Likes

Sure shoot me a PM

2 Likes

you got that right mr sodapop. grew them killer beans last year doing more this year. " killer beans" and killer buzz! all the way!

4 Likes

I’ve heard those Santa Maria beans are used for rituals and everything so those are interesting to have around

2 Likes

I get off work in 2 hours

I just put them in a cart for when I get my first check lol

1 Like

good move for the gds f6 seeds. and good question/ topic!

1 Like

5 Likes

Thank you man, I just wanted to get a feel for how people are on the site and how they feel about breeding practice. I’ve read through a few that focus more heavily on the actual practice.

1 Like

I kinda sat back and thought about this before I typed a reply.
I don’t think stability can be assumed just because someone takes a line to F5 or f10… it just depennds on what that breeder is intending. If bottlenecking the line to lock down specific traits like flavor and structure and potency is done purposefully and meticulously… plants will come out mostly similar.
But there are those who produce Fgens and take great care to keep desired diversity in the line so it can be further used for breeding and selection. These types I find tend to produce many very similar and almost predictable phenotypes amongst the line but one phenotype has not dominated the line. So while they all might look similar and behave similar … perhaps some taste like oranges and some taste like lemons… if you know what I mean.

Basically I’m of the opinion that a high Fgen # does not necessarily equate to homozygosity across the line. It depends on how the breeder made his choices to bottleneck or two preserve ideal phenotypes. I may be wrong… I’m pretty ripped right now hehehe

12 Likes

I 2nd this!!

2 Likes

I can’t wait to be off of work and at home ripped. I mean from a pure biological perspective your statement is true! It’s just like how after hundreds of years of cultivation you can run into a wild seed variety in a pack of lettuce or carrots. So although years and years of selective breeding and stabilization is made, the recessive traits are still present in the genome.

4 Likes

I agree, this is most obvious with landrace types because they are typically open pollinated so although they may be F20 for arguments sake, they will still have a lot of genetic diversity and pheno variation. You have to apply pretty heavy selection pressure aka bottlenecking to get uniformity in my experience and it’s more difficult than you might expect to avoid genetic drift across generations imho.

6 Likes

Post relocated

4 Likes

Right it’s something that works on paper and can help in practice but isn’t true to nature.

2 Likes

Post relocated

10 Likes