In search of a keeper Durban from different parts of the country

Everyone got moved to solo cups with organic soil. I used soil left from one-gallon pots that had males which were culled. I added a little fresh soil, perlite, and worm castings. Put Mykos in the holes. I removed the netting around the pucks before planting

The Triple Durban had the tallest and smallest seedlings. One was 3 inches before planting, the smallest was 1 inch.

I planted the first 3 Triple Durban, so they were each 2 inches above the soil. The other two are 1 inch and a half inch, respectively.

They are on the seedling shelve under the blurple for a few weeks.

Triple Durban (TD) #1 was 3 inches before the planting, is now 2 inches. Looks to be the oldest of all the plants. Expanded root system

TD #2 was 2.5 inches before planting. Now 2 inches.

TD #3 was 2.25 inches. Now at 2 inches

TD #4 was 1.5 inches. Now 1 inch

TD #5 was 1 inch and the youngest of all the plants just breaking through Friday morning. It is now ½ inch.

The Kullu x Durban has the most consistency amongst the seedlings. There was only an inch between all of them. I have planted them so the first 4 are 1.5 inches

KxD #1 was 2.25 inches tall and was the tallest by 1/4 inch. It was replanted and is 1.5 inches now.

KxD #2 was 2 inches tall. It is now 1.5 inches

Uploading: 20201121_151256.jpg…

KxD #3 was 2 inches tall. It is now 1.5 inches

KxD #4 was 1.75 inches tall. It is now 1.5 inches

KxD #5 was 1.5 inches tall. It is now 1 inch

KxD #6 was 1.25 inches tall making it the shortest of the group. It is now 1 inch

Everyone on the shelf. Now time to watch the grass grow. :laughing:

17 Likes

Wow yep that first seedling has narrow leaves nearly on par with the dad. That one is almost certainly going to be your most purely sativa expression… and probably also the biggest PITA to grow. :joy:

9 Likes

Nice update bro. I’m gonna have to up my game. I figured. Its good for me!

3 Likes

Thanks brother. I need much more then that write up to keep up with you.

2 Likes

Here is a better update. The seedlings range from 1.25" to 2". I do see some differences in the leaves, and believe I may have a couple of the harder to control variety.

9 Likes

The Durban x kullu range from 1.5" to 2.25". All the leaves are super thin, as I expected. These should all be fun to control!

11 Likes

Are you going to let them grow naturally? Top? Cushman chiro?

2 Likes

I will probably take clones and grow the clones out. I am not sure what I will do to the clones. Interesting question, to which I do not have an interesting answer! :rofl:

3 Likes

Always trying to learn something new!!

2 Likes

My first though was taking the clones and growing them out. Then if I have something I want to keep as a mother, I will be set up. I read somewhere on OG that the original plant is better as a mother than a clone, although it can be done both ways.

4 Likes

My plan (and we know how my plans go!!) is the exact opposite. I want to pull clones a week before I flip. Then finish out the seed plant. Cull any males and clones of the males. But without any experience, have no clue which way is better.

5 Likes

Me neither. I read about it somewhere on here. The person said to grow the clones out instead, and something to the effect of trust me, you will see. I should probably ask around some of the more seasoned growers, although Im sure the person that made the comment was pretty seasoned. I sure held onto their advice.

6 Likes

You should start a new thread and ask that exact question. Let OG guide us!!

3 Likes

This is how I roll. I used to believe that the seed plant is better to keep as a mother, but I dont really think its any better than a clone mother. I prefer to run my seed plants untopped, and like to top my clones. Since my space is small, I find it best to keep taking fresh clones to use as mothers every cycle or two. Its easier to keep them from getting too big and also reduces the chance of the mother getting bugs.

10 Likes

@mtntrogger. That was my thinking, that clones would be more manageable.

2 Likes

Ive also grown quite a few clone only “elites” and can say that the mothers I used were awesome and never showed any degradation, even after being passed from grower to grower over ten plus years. I made new moms every couple of grows and never saw any difference, Im sure Ive used stuff that has been cloned well over a hundred times down the line from the seed plant.

5 Likes

@mtntrogger. Thank you so much. Being a new grower, it is great to learn from more experienced growers!! I always wondered that about clones. Great to hear!!

3 Likes

The only time I’ve seen the seed plant have an advantage over a clone is when direct planing into the ground outdoors. The seed plant has a tap root, while the clone does not. That tap root helps the plant go down deep and anchor itself well.

11 Likes

Absolutely ! Even when not direct planting, I think that seed plants adapt quicker to the outdoor environment.

5 Likes

It always made me want to try grafting a clone to a long flowering seed stock. In theory you could get the best of both worlds…

5 Likes