In search of a keeper Durban from different parts of the country

I was just talking to @joker about running some skunks! Great minds think alike bro.

2 Likes

Those will be the challenging ones in a tent then?

2 Likes

Any Kullu leaning phenotypes will be the challenging plants to grow in a tent, but it sounds like the cross is leaning towards the Durban. Is that correct @lefthandseeds ? Neat observation on the newest growth forming a perfect X. Pretty cool.

5 Likes

Leather smell is Mazar.
I’ve messed with more ak than ill let on, never found leather but mazar I got beans that produce the terp youre looking for.

7 Likes

Thanks @OleReynard I’ll post when I drop so we can play “Name That 70’s Strain “ only dropped three last time and didn’t care fir them very well. Gonna drop a good sample this time with all the skunks I have.

5 Likes

I’ll be running the point of origins shortly, needed to do a small bean increase anyway on these.
Everybody seemed to of enjoyed these.
Creamy leathery goodness

6 Likes

Leather tarps? Very strange…I read about leather terps in Haze plants before, but that’s it. It’s a good taste? Funny how nasty Terps can mean great flavor!

4 Likes

Early it was over the top but as it aged it mellowed, like a cigar flavor.
Just scored a SKUNK1 heirloom held in the hills of Humbolt, supposedly Undiluted since 70’s. Could it be the True Skunk?
Also tested an inside grown bit of my Exodus Cheese (UK) cut. Exceptionally Stinky and heavy smoke.

11 Likes

A true skunk from the 70’s would be amazing. Loved that smell. Have a bag in your pocket and stink up the whole room. That stuff was amazing to smoke. Never easy to hide the smell in high school though…lol

8 Likes

I had no idea skunk went all the way back to the 70s. When did it first come out? There was a lot of skunk bud in my area in the late eighties.

3 Likes

It seems that here, way south of yall, we could just get the brick stuff mostly. I’ve never had Skunk, so maybe that’s why I’m itching to grow some.

Ive noticed being around the country, it always seemed like the smoke was better up north.

3 Likes

I have to agree.:grin: but my opinion might be biased lol. Some good stuff everywhere I’m sure. It’s the cold nights. Day/ night temperature swings of more than 20 degrees improve potency. Here its 80 daytime, 55-65 at night in summer, and 60’s/70’s daytime, 40’s nighttime for flowering, but same latitude as cali/ Oregon border, just north of the emerald triangle. Also lots of unrelated old gems of Appalachia that have been around for years. North washington has great stuff. Of course Cali and I’m sure Oregon too. But prohibition here keeps the good genetics held tight. People afraid to come out of the grow closet so to speak. Like a time capsule in many regards. Once someone has something that’s good, they hold on to it. And they work it for years and it gets even better.

6 Likes

They don’t want it ruined, just like everything else out there

4 Likes

I do need to mention I was reminiscing. We have some pretty good smoke now, and a ton of trash.

Back in the day (early 2000s the best stuff I ever got, I grew. Tons of brick trash until 10 hears ago. Finally in the last few years we lost the ability to even get brick. The good had slowly been filtering in more and more. Many of us just got sick of it and drove to better markets.

2 Likes

You’re right about that! Its special stuff, too much work to watch it get trashed.

3 Likes

I was smoking some local grown,east coast, skunk at the end of the 70’s and into the early 80’s. It faded for me when I discovered this thing called Maui in 1982, then Thai stick in 1983. After that I would get some skunk every now and then, but I had some new passions that came first.

3 Likes

I wanted to update the grow before I leave again for work. The plants range in age from 9 to 13 days old. They were all coming off their dry cycle and got a soil soaking with just ph’d water after the pictures. There was not a lot of growth height wise, but the canopies (leaves) really did. Plan is to move them to one gallon pots and into a tent hopefully this weekend.

Triple Durban (TD) #1 is the tallest plant of both grows, and oldest at 13 days, and out growing all the plants on daily growth. It was put in the solo cup on 11/22 at 2 inches above soil. Now stands at 3.25 inches with a canopy measuring 6.5 inches in diameter. The canopy is substantially bigger than all the others.

TD #2 has only grown a 1/4 inch in 6 days, making it one of the slowest growing, and is now 2.5 inches. The canopy is 3.5 inches in diameter.

TD #3 has grown 1/2 an inch more to 2.75 inches. It has grown .75 inches in 10 days. The canopy is 4.5 inches making it the second largest of the Triple Durban grow.

TD #4 has grown a 1/2 inch too, bringing it to 2.0 inches. Its canopy is 4 inches.

TD #5 is the youngest of all the plants at just 9 days old. It has grown an inch in 10 days, with a 3 inch canopy.

The Kullu x Durban has more consistency with the plant growth and height amongst them. There is only 1.5 inches difference amongst the 6 plants.

K X D #1 is 2 inches tall and has not added any height in 6 days, and only a 1/2 in 10 days. It does have a 4.75 inch canopy making it the largest of the Kullu x Durban grow.

K x D #2 has grown the most of the K x D’s, and is now the largest plant. It added an inch in 6 days and 1.25 in 10 days. It has a 4.5 inch canopy.

K x D #3 added another 1/4 inch over the last 6 days and is now 2 inches. It does have one of the smaller canopies at 3.25 inches.

K x D #4 grew 1/2 inch in 6 days to 2.25 inches. It has added 3/4 of an inch over the last 10 days. The canopy is 3.5 inches

K x D #5 only added 1/4 inch over the last 6 days and 3/4 inches over 10 days. This is consistent with most of this grow. The canopy is 3.5 inches

K x D #6 is the youngest of the K x D plants. Like plant #1 it did not grow any over the last 6 days and only a 1/2 inch over 10 days. The 3 inch canopy is one of the smallest of all plants.

12 Likes

Excellent job documenting the grow! The plants all look healthy, but It looks like some of those Kullu/Durban want the planned transplant. The folded leaves are a clue that the taproot is circling the pot , and I’d be willing to bet they are male. They grow fast! My male Afghans look just like that when the taproot circles. Can’t wait to see an update after the transplant.
I’ve got my eye on Triple Durban #1… so far my favorite Durban, and #4 kullu/ durban…

5 Likes

wow i really want one of those modern label makers lol, but i am a dinosaur.

5 Likes

Ron’s updates are top notch for sure!

4 Likes