Indicana Jones Rides Again (Part 1)

Mann what you guys eating for dinner?

1 Like

Man. We cheffed up a box of chicken and cheese taquitos in the oven and made some black beans and rice to go with it. Watermelon for desert.

2 Likes

That for real sounds pretty killer, black beans are the shit. Also wstermelon, you ever made fruit leather out of watermelon?

2 Likes

No I have not. I would have never thought something like that would be possible.

1 Like

Fruit leather??? Due tell never hear do this @Hotrods_and_hounds

2 Likes

Pretty much homemade foot by the foot except it’s just the watermelon and a bit of honey and salt.

4 Likes

Seems easy enough. We are wanting to get a freeze drier once this kitchen remodel is settled down.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah a freeze dryer would be sick!! I’m saving up now for a freeze dryer and a big dehydrator. Like you were talking making a garden and trying to grow enough food to get through the year. What you guys wanting to freeze dry?

I started trying to read how to can things like green beans the problem is they like a buck st the store. But pickles, ooo boy some homemade pickles!

3 Likes

Yeah bro. My wife made pickles last year that we’re still eating. They are fire. I think we would freeze dry all the berries and dehydrate and can vegetables. We’ve been making preserves and all kinds of shit. But all that and it still feels like we are coming up short on being able to feed ourselves realistically.

3 Likes

Haha. I feel like we are borderline doomsday preppers with out all the weirdness. Maybe I’m just not self aware and we’re weird as fuck.

4 Likes

Man for real that’s the way to go, I’m goning down that rabbit hole now. I just really suck at cooking anything not meat.

1 Like

Shit. Meats the hard part to get right unless you like shoe leather style meat. That shits easy to do. Meat, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, brussel sprouts, asparagus. We eat fairly simple. Got a shit ton of various dried beans in storage.

2 Likes

Imma make you give a tutorial when it comes time for canning lol!

3 Likes

I’ve been canning my own albacore for almost 40 years. Haven’t bought a single can. Spoiled. My mom canned salmon. I used to get it for free. Got my order in with the boys going offshore.

7 Likes

How do you can your own fish? @crownpoodle that i would really like to learn. Like some nice bluegill put back for cold months!

2 Likes

Pressure. 1/2 pint widemouth canning jars are perfect for 2 sandwiches for the missus and I. Pressure cooker at 15# for 90 minutes. Everything needs to be clean. Sterilize the jars and lids. I put a pepperoncini in each jar. Pressure cookers can be dangerous. Careful. Bet there’s good YouTube vids showing canning. Only difference between fish and veggies are time and temp.

4 Likes

Freeze dry some of them pickles lol

3 Likes

Hell yes! Nothing like homemade jerky just the way you like it. The soft ass, over tenderized, store bought stuff is NASTY. When I was in my teens someone gave me some homemade jerky. A few months later I was learning how to make my own. Nesco makes a round pancake dehydrator that’s fairly cheap and great to learn on.

3 Likes

Welp. The pH problem hasn’t resolved itself. Shit jumped by 0.37 on a fresh res made last night. That’s okay. Res temp was 78° when I checked it. I’m super convinced these dumb high temps have everything to do with it. Next on the list is a water chiller.

1 Like