Interesting plant growth

So I started some pura vida F2s and the other 4 look normal, but this one is interesting.

It had this interesting leaf split from the beginning. As it grew it started making a thick concave stem. PXL_20210320_040251510|281x500

It hasn’t produced any more odd double veined leaves, but that first one is definitely growing.

5 days later, the funny stem is getting stout, and the stem coming from it seems to be growing as normal

I’m sure someone has experienced this. Is it a mutation? Disease? I’m just curious, seems healthy otherwise.

17 Likes

Fasciation. Cull it or clip off the ribbon stem and sometimes the lowers aren’t affected. If the entire plant is showing fasciation, best just cull it.

They’re never worth keeping. You’ll get crap yields of odd misshapen bud like structures.

8 Likes

Was this you fertilizing your plants? Cause you got a mutant.

5 Likes

Things that make you go Hmmmm. I’m watching this to see the outcome.

2 Likes

It’s a mutant.

Eventually it will start throwing out some normal side branches but the main lead will still remain a mutant. I suggest you clone the normal branches and toss the main stock.

1 Like

Hahah. I haven’t even really fed them yet.

1 Like

The main stem seems fine, and that ribbon is just coming off the side. I’ll cut it and see how things grow out. Thanks for the info. Fasciation. Interesting. :+1:

Yep usually it’s just an odd branch rather than a whole plant. It can happen for any number of reasons, even in perfect conditions. Usually happens to me if it’s a seed plant I crushed or bent a stem on. Some non Cannabis plants with fasciation are purposefully grown that way for ornamental purposes, but for buds you wanna smoke at some point it’s no good lol.

2 Likes

Maybe?

6 Likes

I’d say kill that m’fer before it herms on all your others :sweat_smile: but that’s just my 2 cents.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Really interesting looking between the leaf growth and that stem. Thanks for sharing🤙

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, very interesting indeed!

1 Like

i always give the weird ones a chance, sometimes they can surprise you!

3 Likes

Not with fasciation, you could grow 100 and be disappointed every time.

Space under lights is very valuable; it’s just not worth it.

3 Likes

Yeah. I pulled it from my room and stuck it in a window. That branch is stacked with leaves. Might cut the normal branch and root it, but I’ve got others going too.

1 Like

Good plan. It isn’t necessarily a genetic defect, sometimes just happens for no identifiable reason. Like cancer or a tumor. Might still be a perfectly good plant if you cut and root a normal stem.

2 Likes

I haven’t cut the normal stalk off yet but this guy is still growing. Looking kinda like a celery stalk

2 Likes

Think some LST night help?

:joy::rofl::crazy_face:

1 Like

Nah, but some ranch dip & some mini-carrots… :+1: :sunglasses:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Hah. I’m gonna investigate that. Probably too fibery. Not that celery isn’t. :no_mouth:

1 Like