Landraces of India

You weren’t lying about the winters there. I was stationed at Ft. Drum, and got to live through one of those Great Lakes winters. Damn. I got to know the cold very well, as we were usually on training exercises in the field.

4 Likes

Not only snowy here but the humidity is often high even in the Winter. I much prefer A 5゚ day over a 30 degree day because of the higher humidity of the 30゚ day. The different types of cold seem to matter to plants As well. My 2 strains came from West and East Coasts…one wet and humid, and the other one the dry Inland Northwest. My Uncle’s strain from Washington mighr get fried with 28 degree frosts in New York But it is untouched by colder temperatures in Washington. Conversely, my strain in New York has handled down to 19゚here with very humid frosts But out in Washington State was stunted a couple weeks after experiencing a freak 32゚ dry frost.

6 Likes

What is the difference in altitude in your uncle place in Washington vs upstate NY?

1 Like

Humidity can make all the difference in the world. 100 degrees in Texas or Arizona is very different from 100 degrees in Georgia or Arkansas. Even 20 below in Alaska is more bearable than 20 above in upstate New York.

5 Likes

Manipur enjoying 65 degrees in November

3.5m tall.

18 Likes

3500ft in Washington vs 2000ft here

4 Likes

Damn! Filling in! Imagine them finished.

2 Likes

Hot damn! I may get to smoke some yet…

20 Likes

Some potent looking pot.

6 Likes

I’m pleasantly surprised how well this has handled the cold/wet. Haven’t had a hard freeze yet, just a couple 30 degree nights. The cold has it in a hurry it seems. And yeah, it’s pretty frosty for this sort of plant.

6 Likes

Very nice! Do you think it’ll have time to mature?

2 Likes

Please give us a smoke report.

1 Like

I don’t expect it to totally finish no. Really just got lucky with the weather. Another week will help.

3 Likes

Looks like you’ve already got some good smoke, so everything beyond this point is bonus.

3 Likes

It should survive another 4 weeks in your area. The hardiness of Manipur Burma will surprise you, by that time it will provide some good smoke. Let it cure for about 4 weeks, from there the smoke gets better and better.

6 Likes

I figured I’d blanket the pot when it gets cold in earnest. Maybe run some plastic sheet around it.

5 Likes

Wrapping it in black plastic creates a layer that concentrates solar radiation and warms the roots.

3 Likes

Yeah I spent a year in Boston one winter…

2 Likes

The NE United States has some brutal winters. What I saw of the NE was pretty cool, and there are some really nice wild areas and good fishing there. When most people think about that corner of the country, they’ll often think urban sprawl, but there is a lot more it.

4 Likes

Also, you can fill up some jugs with hot water and put them under the plastic so they keep it warm though the night.

1 Like