Landraces of India

Looks great! Fully seeded or some smokeables too? ( nevermind, i see now its partial)

2 Likes

Thanks! I enjoy smoking seeded sun grown bud. It hits different from the same cultivar finished as sinsemilla. It has a “wholesome” vibe. I really have to say that Shiv offered us a journey into the unknown with these cultivars. There’s almost zero documentation available about it. Traversing uncharted territory in an experimental spacecraft. Mad fun. :milky_way:

10 Likes

@RoryBorealis thank you so much for appreciating brother i will keep on sending rare and unique ones to our OG community.
:heart:Much love
Have a great day

10 Likes

Malana Village sativa hashplant (originally found in Himachal Pradesh) >>>

Quick flower development*, carried a musky/spice/rain aroma

IMG_0327

Using an old world technique (cobbing as taught by Sensei Tangwena) to see what sort of impact the cavendish-like cure will produce on this cultivar

IMG_0336

IMG_0337

So far this sample has a nice sweet fermented muskiness to it, once dried to the touch it will go back into vac seal for another ~ 6 months in room temp ish /cool cure/aging for the potency to really emerge

18 Likes

@US3RNAM3 I need to grow this one again. I haven’t seen one finish. Beautiful.

3 Likes

@Upstate Definitely a unique cultivar. This thread has been a treasure trove of information, keen to explore the Indian varieties - the Indian landrace diversity is very compeling.

I would like to add a caveat to my quick finisher statement to say that it could have gone longer, my point of reference was relative to the equatorial sativas that went much longer and wanted to keep going

In retrospect I realize it would’ve been more precise to say the flower developed quickly

5 Likes

8 weeks is very fast for Malana. I have heard of 10 weeks. Where were the seed from? The plants were tall and branches were relatively short?

2 Likes

Yes, fairly tall for being started late, the stalk was like one of those loooooooong fishing poles some branches were on the shorter end near the top but branches towards* the base really got to stretch with angle of training & ~ 2 month veg. Seeds were sourced from Colorado Sativas Malana that were his reproduction of Old World Organics Malana. Link here for basic write up > Malana (Old World Organics) :: Cannabis Strain Info

No certainty on purity… that’s why I think it’s important to seek out the sources on the ground when possible to increase the likelihood of getting authentic landrace/heirloom. Thanks again @Upstate for introducing us to @Shiv9545 and other great resources.

4 Likes

you cobbed it right ?
are you planning on making some hash ?

5 Likes

Yes, 95% cobbed, so no hash this time around. I’m taking every opportunity to see how tweaking the cobbing variables impact potency/flavor/effect

if there was a variety to do it with, this would be it, but I want to level up in cobbing more than i want to make hash

7 Likes

When I was in that part of the world, I only came across charas / hash, no ganja…

recommending the same for the ‘authentic’ old world experience

7 Likes

That’s a great point, if I had the right sample size i’d do all of the above. I’m very interested in learning more about the process for connoisseur charas and hash.

From my anecdotal observation ganja on its own is more common in southern part of India, those northern varieties are so resinous it’d be a shame not to experience the pinnacle of its potency with proper charas/hash

7 Likes

finger / scissor hash from trimming should give a little indication :wink:

7 Likes

O man, you should of seen my fingers when I was processing it! :grin: I need to dig into that further.

The thing about India is that there are so many climates and varieties, just like all the different dialects and cultures that can be found within the country. My ignorance is strong, but I do what I can to mitigate it. I would venture to guess there are varieties in northern india that are enjoyed as flower as well.

According to the Indian Landrace exchange there’s a Kashmiri variety found in the Pulwama district and it is known for its challi hash production. Apparently it is dry sieved hash heated/baked in side of corn cobs:

link for reference >>> Pulwama (Kashmir) – IndianLandraceExchange

8 Likes

So true !!!

When I backpacked around there was only hash in Pakistan, Northern India and Nepal, Bhang Lassi (yogurt drink with weed) in Calcutta. I did not go further south india.

Only saw grass starting in Thailand and in the rest of South East Asia - no hash

10 Likes

what i experienced in southern India was that the flowers were so improperly handled once they left their points of origin that they weren’t worth smoking. I was told that certain cities/areas (Bangalore specifically) actually had extremely good flower for quite cheap. allegedly there was a mango variety from Bangalore, which two completely unrelated friends who never met mentioned to me. One of my friends there got some idukki in the past couple years, loaded with seed (refused to send any out of fear), which he said was decent.

the charas coming from up north by far surpassed the quality of the flowers… I became quite adept at maximizing charas to tobacco ratio (not a tobacco smoker, but the ganja flower was so bad i opted to use a pinch of cigarette tobacco)… the last day i was there one j lasted an entire half hr ride to the airport from south mumbai, and there was still half left when we got there… was trying to finish off a tola i had gotten in goa a few days earlier, unsuccesfully

7 Likes

I often think about how a lot of the older green bud nugs were slightly compressed just from being sticky and wrapped up in sandwich bags. Modern cannabis is often trimmed and placed in jars to avoid just that but that pressure effects resin heads the same way as when pressing hash and it gets darker.
I love all the different forms hash can come in whether it’s dry sift from mature flower or charas rubbed from living plants , it’s the rupturing of the resin heads that makes the change occur, charas contains more oils and less of the actual trichome material where dry sift is collecting while trichomes and then pressing , rosin is then pressing those oils out. Now what trips me out is how rosin presses out to a golden color but any other method of pressing or rubbing will result in brown to black coloration of the material.

6 Likes

bhang is some seriously good stuff. I made some with this recipe last year and it was the most potent edible I’ve ever tried. Sipping on a shot glass was enough for my high-tolerance ass to get pretty damn buzzed for a long time. And it’s delicious

10 Likes

Well made bhang is a thing of beauty in my opinion. Such a pleasant, deep buzz.

10 Likes

I picked up that same Malana. The fast flowering time might be possible after doing a couple runs. Maybe they came across a special fast plant. Still, one that finishes in Oregon at 45゚ latitude makes me nervous regarding purity, but then again NY where I live( 42n) there is more brutal weather than along the western coast and what might take 8 weeks elsewhere could take 10 or 12 weeks here in the fall. IF it lives long enough to finish. Rsc Malana did not. I try to stay open minded. That could change. If I get to F3 and F4 with some of these landraces I am running through and I haven’t found any magical fast plants amongst any of them, I will start thinking even more seriously that other peoples stock got contaminated when they found those fast plants. I already consider it a good possibility. I grew my own strain for a quarter century and it’s flowering onset got later and later and harvest time got later too. I had something to do with that I think but I really don’t feel like I was the one driving… just steering. I feel that the tendency of the plants was to live as long as the season would allow and both of the 2 heirlooms I grew for years and years ended up harvesting on the same day after 2 decades with the one and a quarter century with the other. Literally right at the end of our season.

8 Likes