Landraces of India

You’re right. Seems to be a narrowed genepool. I suppose that’s how landraces are made. Everyone wants the good stuff until eventually everyone has it. Then we start all over and do it again and make another one. This second wave will be different than the first.

2 Likes

I was just given a Bud of some kind of Polyhybrid strain that’s popular right now and it tasted exactly like One of the 2 BBS plants( Is banana butter scotch biscuits or something like that?) that I grew this summer. It all seems to taste like blue dream to me. I hate to be impolite to the person that gave it to me, but it was a really boring high and I didn’t like it at all. How do you tell someone that gave you something out of kindness That they are missing out on the good stuff?
On a side note I would bet anybody that had the money to get genetic testing done that BBS is a
kashmir hybrid. Is maybe blue dream crossed with kashmir

6 Likes

Something like this “Thanks for the polyhybrid it was OK, but not really what I prefer. Here…have you ever tried Oaxacan…?:grinning: or since this is a Landraces of India thread, Here… have you tried a landrace from India…?

5 Likes

Manipur at about mid sweat…

Very luxurious play-doh smells and lovely texture.

22 Likes

Sounds like it would make some decent extract. Unremarkable flower can be turned into hash or remarkably potent edibles. You might also find some keepers if you grow enough of them.
About Blue Dream, what’s its ancestry? Any info I can get says it’s a blueberry (indica-dominant) hybrid bred with Thai.
Mediocre or not, it’s still bud you didn’t have before.

5 Likes

.that’s a good start!

2 Likes

Blue dream is djs blue berry crossed to super silver haze , some will insist it is blueberry crossed to original haze but I had blue dream before hardly anybody else did , years before the flood and was always told it was super silver haze x blue berry.

5 Likes

Ya know I hear this sentiment a lot…as far as home growers go this can be the case…alot of stuff comes up similar. It’s cool though, these are crosses of a home grower having fun, nothing wrong with that.

As far as the professional growers go I don’t agree at all. There are many parties that have enormous landrace collections. In fact, I would say, that nearly 100% of landraces have been preserved with no threat of being lots of watered down.

As far as homogenization goes, in cannabis horticulture, it is being realized that homogenization of multiple lines, followed by a reworking, does greatly benefit the gene pool producing better plants. By understanding the cannabis genotype and plant breeding, one can see how this approach strengthens the plant.

Now i don’t want to speak out of turn, but I believe there are at least a couple mass homogenization project going on ATM…@TomHill might be able to elaborate more on this…big things in the works…very exciting times :grin:!

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Blue dream was alright…every bit of it I smoked was a little too racy though. I prefer the Purple Dream myself. Much more relaxed :sunglasses:.

Oh and while I’m at it, “Bubblegum terps were created using pine and Indiana Bubblegum is a outcross of the original Bubblegum to provide bubblegum terps to the masses while keeping the Bubblegum cultivar private.”

I’m not 100% but the pine may have come from the India — Pakistani border region.

:sunglasses::thinking::wink::yum::exploding_head::fish:

2 Likes

interesting. what Strains were they? So the seemed to do what we call adaption . Probably.

2 Likes

you tell : for me this isnt good bud. But thats just my taste, and in no way am i knowing whats good for you.

1 Like

So many landraces being preserved is really good news. It’s very good that poly-hybrids and landraces don’t have to be an either/or situation. As I’ve said before, we’re going to probably see a number of new heirlooms emerge from our current mass homogenization(s).
This is pure conjecture, but 2025 may mark the beginning of a golden age of cannabis.

5 Likes

It’s definitely more of a early morning with your coffee type of smoke but some people close to me love her and I’m the only one in my circles who seems to be able to keep things around.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve smoked alot of it and appreciate it, but I always thought it a little racy.

1 Like

I have heard it said that perhaps the Indiana bubble gum is a Kashmir. I’m inclined to agree, having grown several different Kashmir lines now. Sounds very similar.

6 Likes

Both my uncles Afghan and my own old local heirloom. My Uncles stuff( from further North than me) harvested late September here back in 98… Around the 21st up til the end of the month. My own strain harvested Sept 7 the first year back in 91, but after a quarter century I had it to where I could go to my patch or patches on or about October 11th and know that it was prime regardless of the weather or any other circumstances… same with my uncles. Oct 11th.
You can mark your calender in June and the date wont change. I consider the end of the season around here October 15th.

14 Likes

I’ve been sitting here for the past couple days trying to remember more details… But I’m fairly sure, 60%ish, that it came from the border region. There is a small chance that it came from the otherside of Pakistan…remember this is a Pine terp. I don’t think it was a particularly specially pine terp cultivar either, just what was available in the region.

I’m also fairly sure that it is possible that Indiana Bubblegum wound up in Pakistan…:wink:

3 Likes

Kashmir is a main border region ( with India)with Punjab being the other… kashmir has been contested by both India and Pakistan since 1947. There are very strong pine terpenes in some of the Kashmir I grew. Minty and double bubble chewing gum too.
Climate/ latitude matches very well with Indiana too while punjab is dry…

For sure.

2 Likes

Bubble gum flavor is a mixture of essence of strawberry, essence of banana and wintergreen. It’s also worth noting that root beer is usually wintergreen with vanilla. Bubble gum and root beer phenos probably have a similar terpene profile.

7 Likes

I have felt mint associated with pine. in taskenti and some indicas, but usually associated with pine, I have never felt this terpene mint gum. I have also found hints of mint in Colombia red point, Jamaica blue mountain and
double ( jamaica lambsbread / jamaica blue mountain), in panama although the south american mint is usually associated with a little pibo or a little eucalyptus, as in varieties from nepal.

Mint is interesting as a terpene. I have been trying to isolate a mint phenotype for a while to make myself an indica sativa hybrid with a mint flavor for my own fun, there I get something in some hunting crosses of (jaffa cake x double jam/old congo) x (5G X old congo double jam) although quite subtle

10 Likes