Landraces of India

Clay is great at holding onto nutrients. My garden soil is heavy on clay, but was also heavily amended with manure and now its beautiful soil. I do have to cut it with lots of perlite for container growing. (30-50% cut)
Some of the most fertile soils have clay. The Clay/ humus complex is what you shoot for. Basically your organic matter is attached to the clay, really attached…rain won’t wash it away…and plants absolutely love it.

9 Likes

Some bedtime bloom photos of Malana:

And then this morning, still wet all the time here, we are in the top ten wettest spots in the country this summer around where I am:

24 Likes

Three months ago just before it went into the ground:

A month and a half ago:

Two weeks ago:

This morning:

21 Likes

So clay equals high cation exchange capacity?

2 Likes

Those red stems are cool! That’s a nice plant!

3 Likes

yep, clay has very high CEC

4 Likes

You got it. Of course I use my soil because it’s free… and longflowers love some natural soil in the mix.
I cut my garden soil blend with a commercial mix like ocean forest or a homemade mix using promix bx. I also add compost and castings.

3 Likes

Seems like a no brainer to add some to an organic mix. Next time!

3 Likes

It works great. For extra food make some homemade dry food spikes using Dr earth/ happy frog Or anything similar. Always shoot for lower numbers ( 555 or similar) unless using guano.

3 Likes

Yeah I have my own organic soil mix dialed in. I’ve just always pondered the idea of adding some clay to increase the CEC. I haven’t heard of many people doing it. Seems like a no brainer when growing in living soil.

4 Likes

Sounds nice ,looks great guys. @InTheWoods @Upstate ,I just love growing. I’m growing outdoors , three compost piles , altitude ocean forest , coco coir , leaf mold ,for roots. IM at 28 latitude. Lower India climate like. Maybe I can naturalization to local climate ,FL seeds ,OverGrow the World with Love of green green thumbs good luck ,I am amazed how many Sativa Landtaces from the seventies. My generation of hard together golden Herbs Many thanks youall. ,Peace…

4 Likes

Someone here with experience with parvati? (RSC) i have few seeds from 2017 (or '18)

1 Like

Yes those are older stock. I would try to save them if you can because it’s a great variety. You always have to assume they are mixed with a little bit of skunk from the hippie trail but still great authentic buds

2 Likes

Yeah thats what I Like, Old Hippie trail. Golden Herbs ,late sixties, early seventies. My Teen Age may generation , meshican, red panana ma Gold ,smells right thru plastic bags ,Premium Columbian Red Gold ,some red stem ,I grew them Days and confused Peace ,all growrrs…

4 Likes

Ok so please forgive me and please school me as someone largely unfamiliar with landrace strains. . …

I look thru this thread & I see lots of tall thin “grassy” plants. What’s the real appeal with Indian landrace specifically? Is the high superior? Are there any particular Indian varieties that are most popular?

I mean, from a home grower’s standpoint as someone with plant limits, I just don’t see the appeal on the surface :man_shrugging:t2:. I’d love to learn more, and straight “from the source” if you will :wink::+1::+1:

7 Likes

The great thing about India is the vast diversity of geographical environments and the fact that you can find both narrow leaf sativas and wide leaf indicas amongst the ‘landrace’ populations, Indian Landrace Exchange has an interesting database from which you can use as a spring board to dive into your discovery process to understand what some of the varieties look like based on their geographic origin:

https://www.indianlandraceexchange.com/genetic-library/

They like to divide them by the altitude and latitude as the native plants in each environment will display differently.

There’s a bit of a sativa revolution going on, a renewed interest if you will in those tall, thin, wispy looking sativas. The experience is unparalleled when you find the right phenotypes, even in the mediocre types you receive experiences that you do not typically find in the pure wide leaf indicas. The same can be said in the wine industry for the long maturing grapes producing superior product that fetches the highest price. They are all beautiful in their own way. This is one country that gives you the choice, the further south you go, the more sativa they become while the more northern varieties will typically be used for charas/hash production.

12 Likes

The constitution of the clay depends on the latitude. Red clay of the southeastern United States is incredibly challenging to grow in, but only a few crops flourish without cutting the soil with something to aerate it. The main downside to red clay soil is the acidity. Now, the blue clay soil of the mountains in Japan is different in several ways.

4 Likes

It’s all about the effect @RookieBuds . Totally different to the modern polys that leave you feeling thick and not so smart. If you get the right one, these types can have effects the border on psychedelic. Some are like Concerta in plant form, totally motivating. Some fire up and inspire the creative inner artist. Some make you question the fabric of reality and how you fit into it. Some just makes you happy be alive!
Also, the more different plant types you grow and sample, the larger your frame of reference , which helps you as a selector.
:v::canada:

14 Likes

I had a tiny portion of the meditative one with the earth stuff on Bodhi’s Synergy which has Shimla in it. I was basically in touch with bird language and saw the energy of all life. I wish I could find a short phenotype to grow indoors. Maybe if i search through the odishas id find a runt!

9 Likes

The effect, novelty and nostalgia. Unlike a lot of poly-hybrids, the effect can be described as “up” or “speedy.” Don’t get me wrong, the new strains will definitely get you “comfortably numb” but there is just something people love about weed that makes you motivated.

6 Likes