Leaf Septoria?

if youre still in veg you have time to nuke those bitches off.

btw, while you did find mites - that doesnt rule out the calcium def. ive had both and those spots dont look like mite damage, so you might have identified mites out of coincidence, i still vote for calcium def on the leaf itself.

EDIT lol jusst saw george identified both.

calcium

mites

3 Likes

That he did! @George good eye my man! Still in veg, but stretch may start soon. What can I use that I can easily get? This is an organic grow.

1 Like

yeah, i also second guessed my calcium diagnosis cus theyre are too round… but maybe its just starting.

regarding the way to control mites… fuck. i mean abamectin is organic strictly speaking but if youre outside its not really an option… and pyrethrins (def organic) will prob not be an option either if youre outside. those two have been my go-to for both prevention and attack, but im inside and can control it not spreading to wild animals.

this thread/solution gained a lot of traction and followers among the organic crowd - never tried it tho.

1 Like

You can bet I don’t enjoy giving bad notices :sweat:, I would trim all the affected leaves, good thing you’re still in veg, check this thread, lots of useful info …

1 Like

You may not enjoy it, but I’m glad you caught it! Will check the link out, and looking at neem oil. Yay or nay?

1 Like

As long as you’re not in flower it will do the job … Arriba

Im more or less in transition right now. I have a few weeks

1 Like

Mites like dry conditions, and there was already some good advice given, but to add to that:

Diatomaceous earth dusted all over the plant when it is dry, including the undersides of leaves where a lot like to hide. When it is wet, don’t bother. Also cover the soil and try to bottom feed. It is useless when wet, but won’t hurt the plant, and will add silica to the soil.

Neem oil, when not in flower. It’s hard to get rid of the smell, and the oily residue, but it works decently to repel them.

Fungicidal spray, such as a fermented citrus solution, or sulfur. The damage done by these pests promotes mold from micro-climates formed due to sap exposure. When combating bugs, you should also be combating mold. Both citrus and sulfur repel these critters too, so two birds and all that.

Some predatory mites feed on spider mites. Lacewing larvae are also very effective. Some people don’t like adding pests to remove pests, but I’m trying to be complete.

As mentioned, H2O2 is effective as well. You don’t want the environment to stay dry for the mites to thrive, so plain water works to a lesser extent as well.

Soapy water if you’re feeling up to that. I personally don’t like to use alcohol and other chemical products on plants, but it is an option.

Permethrins or spinosad are also an option, but I recommend against them for outdoor use.

Last but not least, scratch in some neem meal into the top few inches of the soil. It is very effective, and mites lay their eggs in soil surrounding their host. There’s beneficial mites in all organic soil, but that’s the trade-off.

Most importantly, spray the entire plant with what you decide on, including the underside of leaves and the hard to reach crevaces on the stems, and be consistent with regular applications. Do so after defoliating any and all leaves that even look suspectful. The plant will regrow.

If you noticed, nearly all of these remedies involve adding moisture, which is in addition to the extra moisture on the leaf surfaces due to damage, so I will stress again, that when combating bugs, also combat mold.

4 Likes

Think they were only dry for a day or two, otherwise they get drenched, and a soaked pot daily. May look into pyrethrin and DE to see if that helps

A day or two is an eternity to opportunistic pests. The underside of leaves should be dripping wet too. The soil moisture doesn’t matter. They hide on the underside of leaves and in the cracks of stems, sometimes nesting with webs if conditions are ideal, or come back in the blink of an eye if they are not.

You caught it early enough to stand a chance. I’m rooting for your big girl. Good luck!

1 Like

Went with neem oil and a sprayer. Burn in hell ya little bastards

2 Likes

May the might of ye neem destroy the mites. Keep on spraying and praying!

2 Likes

These are the largest I have ever grown. Helheim awaits their attackers

1 Like

Are you growing in a silo? That is a cool setup.

2 Likes

13 ft tall, with an open top lol

3 Likes

Still being a problem

Calcium is immobile. Ca deficiency symptoms are at the top of the plant.

The people who claim Ca deficiency symptoms are at the bottom are wrong, have always been wrong, and will always be wrong.

I’ve hit this thing with plenty of calcium, and it’s spreading to another one

The yellow rings around the brown spot sure look like septoria. Pluck and remove diseased leaves if that’s practical and remove leaf litter from below the plant. Once it starts it is difficult to control.

2 Likes