LilJonB's Hopscotch Grow

I always germ in soil. I fill small cups with promix wet till water runs through,let it sit to adjust to room temp. Put seed in the soil I try to get it the right way up. But if not oh well cover over bit more water where seed was then put sheets of paper over cup put in warmest room of house and wait start checking after 3 days.i usually get a 99 percent germ rate. Even on my seeds that I made over 10 years ago.JJust did a germ test 2 months ago. All strains were 6/6 and one was 4/6. When the cups dry up real good I give them their first really light feed. Like 150 ppm

5 Likes

If you think itā€™s a really old seed and might take longer to germinate. You can sterilize the soil first to reduce the chance of damping off. But I have rarely done this. I have done this since I started to learn how to grow 15 years ago and my dad did the same for a couple decades prior but with a different soiless mix Same results, rarely get less than 99%germ and plants grow happy and fast. I also do this for all my veggies, herbs and flowers on the farm which is a lot.

5 Likes

Excited to see your grow. Gonna be running some hopscotch here soon also!

3 Likes

Really slow going folks. Thanks for the input @Chronickyle. I put the ones I started in soil. Then put the last one of the Black Candyland in soil, and 2 more Hopscotch in soil. I should have marked the old ones from the new ones. But that didnā€™t cross my mind until after.
This will never happen again. I will start my plants ahead of time before I chop down my existing plants because this is depressing.
I got the light going 24/7 to keep it warm in there. A steady 80 give or take a few degrees.
Iā€™m confident we will see some action in a few days.

6 Likes

it is a learning to curve to get on cycle of plants and buds all the time

when you get than you have to keep it going

it is work but you will get it I am sure :slight_smile:

or just grow a shitload of buds and plants :wink:

than you never run out

all the best and grow well

Dequilo

4 Likes

Definitely keeps you humble thats for sure lol.

4 Likes

I kinda remember wanting some black candland at one time, I do have the hopscotch. Iā€™m pretty sure as long as you got 1 stone bubbling it will be good. I got tired of buying stones. I buy soaker hose now. Cut to whatever length you want. Big air compressor, 60 gal reserve tank 90 more if needed. Use one of those magic mister uses for a manifold. Then a fish tank splitter regulator.
In my rdwc I donā€™t run bubbles T all

3 Likes

I use a ā€œBubble-Bubbaā€ by Bubblemac. Been using them for 3 grows now. Ones starting to not be as bubbly. My air pumps not the greatest but she gets the job done. Eyeing some new ones. Shits rough right now tho.
How do start your seedlings? Any suggestions over the old paper towels?

3 Likes

I swear guys I am not a seed murderer. I guess I really need to work on my germination technique a little bit. I guess I jumped the gun a little to soon posting. I was just really excited about this run. Iā€™m not scraping this project just yet. I still have a few more days before I start considering it. I wonā€™t give up if things go south. Its just going to take longer then expected.
Note to self: Donā€™t ever start a thread on a project thats not off the ground yet.

Hey can you guys offer me some reading material on dampening off? I dont know what it is. Heard it thrown around.

3 Likes

seeds in towels ? Phed water? Temp ? Any h202?

4 Likes

Damping (i think ) is reffering to the soil or whatever being too wet or not enough o2. H202 helps this not happen

3 Likes

Had them in a paper towel in a zip lock ontop of the fridge. About 80f.
Germ in seltzer warter?

2 Likes

Ive never tried seltzer water. Thats high carbon not oxygen i think. Id just use regular water maybe lil h202 whick will one oxidize the shells to crack easier and privide that o2 for startup in the wet towel

4 Likes

And temps at 80 should be ok but i wouldnt press higher. Think outside in nature. They spend winter in snow and ice then melts and they germ spring in cold ground still.

3 Likes

Oh Hydrogen Peroxide. Duh. Im sorry Iā€™m still waking up.

2 Likes

That makes sense rooted. I thought the same thing but Iā€™ve been wrong before.

2 Likes

we all say that :wink: do they die in the paper towel? as not starting at all?

if they are dying in the soil you might need a finer mix for seedlings

I was killing beans because I was using my Pro Mix HP with added perlite and vermiculite

way too course no good for seedlings

I can but the short is this your plants are damp and they get cold

I had it happen just a 3 weeks or so ago

watered my seedlings that were doing well then lights out came and my electric heat

dropped dead and my room got down to 58 - 60 bomb damping off 30 babies :frowning:

damping off is a pathogen that kills your seedlingā€™s stem and they fall over

Damping off (or damping - off ) is a horticultural disease or condition, caused by several different pathogens that kill or weaken seeds or seedlings before or after they germinate. It is most prevalent in wet and cool conditions.

all the best and be safe

Dequilo

6 Likes

Thanks for the info @dequilo. I donā€™t think this is the case in my situation. But could be a possibility, because I reuse soil.
As soon as the seeds pop they stop. I had the same issue when I was starting seeds the last time. I chalked it up that the seeds were 4 years old.
Now Iā€™m wondering ā€œhow are the paper towels I use are madeā€ Iā€™m sure they might use some sort of bleaching agent. Could that be the issue?
Iā€™ve been popping seeds in this fashion for over 20 years and this is the first time Iā€™ve had this issue to this degree.
So with the remaining seeds I had of those strains and put them straight in soil. As well as the ones in suspended animation. Today will be 2 days for the ones I started in soil. If I dont see any action by tomorrow I will begin to get worried.

2 Likes

Hang in there brother.
I had some seeds take a looooong time to crack. As a last resort, you can let the seed dry out a little and then line the inside of a pill bottle with fine sandpaper, put your seeds in and give em a good shake. Then use your paper towel, a little water and a ziploc. I leave them unzipped on top of the fridge. The sandpaper will remove a small amount of the seed helmet, making it easier for mother nature to do her thing.
I hate it when I get duds. I have tried this method. Seemed to work. But who knows? They may have been on the verge of germinating anyways and the sandpaper did absolutely nothing!
Carry on, my friend. Sometimes the hardest part is getting the seed sprouted and the baby plant thriving.

2 Likes

They crack. The tap root starts then nothing. I havenā€™t gave up. Iā€™ve seen it happen before. Just not to all of them. Its probably just one of those things. I will give them some time.
I just got the itch to grow. And Iā€™m really stopping myself from popping more seeds then I can grow.

3 Likes