The lil one leaf looks like has 2 separate tops in the pics they look great btw

1 Like

Day 22

Lot of bushy branching action going on under the hood

Looking a hair overwatered so I’ll let em dry out a bit

Keep calm and stone on

10 Likes

6 Likes

They look really great, Stonedmason, they look so clean and fresh lol.

1 Like

Happen to have or can get a close up pic of miss “Three Leaf” and how she split… back section is taking off now by the looks of it and at a faster pace than the front once you tucked the leaf.

Im just wondering and would like to see cause there is a situation where two seed embryos can share the same shell and or are like conjoined twins, but later diverge as individuals.

That or the top got hampered and it split off like it was topped.

But saying that if you wanted the plant to grow and behave like the others you could snip off the weaker branch, and due to your plants health and the root mass they have already made, it would make quick work of filling the space left behind.

Its either that or your gonna have to start making the two diverge apart as the two sides will be completing for the same space.

Just looks like two separate plants pretty much with your current pics, even though it started as just one.

2 Likes

Lol thanks @Shadey it smells like a rainforest in there. Very peaceful.

@Mr.Sparkle I read your post and tripped out a bit had a look gave the foliage a spread and…

Twins! Just as you predicted. I’m definitely going to keep lightly bending them away from each other and see how it works out. I’m too much of an organic hippie to ruthlessly slaughter one side for no reason

9 Likes

Yeah it had me wondering cause the growth of the two was like they were fighting each other compared to the growth of your others, growth of the 2 = 1.

And yeah if planning on keeping both, don’t be afraid to pluck the fan leaves or nodes that will start over lapping and fighting each other in the center as it will just become a mess, doing so will help them diverge to be there own plants in their own spaces, but you will have to train and or flop them once stretch hits to assist with that

4 Likes

The pots should be plenty big enough for both. Keep spreading them apart. Cutting off the overlapping nodes is also a good suggestion, but I would wait until they are a bit bigger personally.

3 Likes

Day 23. Plants are nice and dried out ready for a deep watering after I finish this post. Little bit of curling in the growth tips of front left girl, but everything is still chuggin on nicely. Gave the twins more of a push apart.

Close up of the structure of the back left girl, the lankiest of the bunch

In other news, we’ve had a warm spell this last week and my worms showed up today which is awesome. I got their initial bedding prepared and they are still in their travel sack for a couple more hours until they acclimatize to their new home. I’ve already pre-ground them their first snack of malted barley :drooling_face:

Have a great and wriggly day

8 Likes

The leaf tips on pic #1 are looking darker than the rest of the leaves, might be some nitrogen toxicity starting. Might just be the way the shadows are from your cover crop. The whole plant looks good otherwise.

1 Like

I was looking at the tip curling in the 4th pic @Shadey but I’ll keep an eye on both/all of them. Seems like they are right on the edge nutrients wise but no problem as long as they don’t get burned or stop growing as fast. I like to think I’m ‘testing their potential’

Edit: the worm bin came with a very handy analog moisture meter. Before I watered I tested the pots and I’m glad I did because they’re in a very happy moisture range and the very bottom of the pots are even slightly too wet. So they may be slightly overwatered. So I switched game plans, misted the top soil and I’ll check again tomorrow

4 Likes

Hi @Stonedmason what are you using for your ground cover? Initially I thought it was micro clover but now I’m seeing there is more to it than that.
I am really curious about the pinnate leafed plant (I think that is the right word). It looks a lot like a ground vine I had a running multi-year war with on the septic bed. Is the ground cover for controlling water evaporation?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Update on the update: I’ve done a whole bunch of poking and prodding with this moisture meter(it’s not tilling :blush:)and drawn some conclusions.

There are a few waterlogged pockets in my soil, mostly concentrated around the areas where the plants new growth was lightening in colour or curling. Also it occurred on the outside corners of all the pots where the fan wasn’t getting to as efficiently. However this is only in certain parts on the bottom 1/3 or so of my soil. It seems like as the plant grew bigger and shot down deeper roots(for the new growth that is slightly yellow) it couldn’t breathe but the rest of the plant was still fine(shallower roots and already established part of the plant ie the nice green bigger leaves)

So what I did was used the meter to poke some aeration holes deep down to the bottom of the pots in the worst spots. I stayed away from the girls canopy because I didn’t want to damage any roots. I also rotated the pots so the wettest spots were turned into the middle. Tomorrow morning I’ll just mist the tops of the plants like I did this morning and hopefully they pull up some of the water from deeper as opposed to me soaking the top 2/3 of the soil again and having history repeat itself. Then once I let the worms loose hopefully they can give me a hand with aerating the soil as well.

What did I learn? It’s very tough to gauge moisture levels in big/no till pots and that this little moisture meter is a VERY handy tool I didn’t know I needed before today. I highly recommend it to any aspiring no tillers out there and/or anyone who grows in bigger containers.

Thanks for listening to my rant if you made it to the end lol

Edit: another major thing I have to do is build/acquire mini pallets for the pots that won’t steal too much height but will raise them off the floor so they can breathe

4 Likes

Hey @Gpaw thanks for stopping in. The cover crop is a mixture of alfalfa, barley, crimson lentil, buckwheat, red clover and fenugreek I got from black swallow soils in Canada. A pound was like 12 bucks, not a bad deal.

The plant I think you’re describing is the crimson lentil. I googled pinnate and the lentil look the most ‘feather like’ lol.

I use the ground cover for water retention for sure but also a couple other things. It takes nitrogen from the air and puts it in the mass of the plant. Then when it dies it falls to the soil, decomposes and puts all its nutrients right back in the soil. The roots also help aerate the soil(even if they aren’t doing the greatest job right now). Outdoors, it prevents nutrient runoff and soil erosion as well.

4 Likes

Well I’ll be! I know those folks, they are a bit over an hour away. I ran into them at the Cannabiz trade show last April. I was looking at their composts and soils - totally missed the ground cover. I talked to them at length about composting etc. They know their stuff, committed and knowledgeable.
I think they have positioned themselves very astutely market-wise too.
WOW, that is really cool.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Day 24. Little top mist and thats it for 2 days, didn’t slow em down

Cover crop flowering

8 Likes

Those are really happy girls!! Love your work!

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Day 25. Did some more probing and the back 2 pots needed a bit of water but the front 2 are still drinking from the bottom of the pot.

The worms are happily munching on barley and making babies it looked like. Had a bit of a look but don’t want to disturb them too much, they seem happy.

Enjoy the weekend :sunglasses:

12 Likes

Looking amazingly healthy and happy in their homes~ Such a beautiful healthy lush green and leaf look on them.

3 Likes