Micro Octopot Grow

Gonna self a fem freakshow, this is what I’ll be using.

3 gal bag

See how it matches up to actual octopots.

19 Likes

Are those Auto or photo?

The forum stomper is an auto fem.
I’m going to be sticking to autos until at least next spring.

2 Likes

The first offspring of the Mango Smile x LRUV has sprouted!

16 Likes

4 of the micro octopots fit perfectly in a 2x2 tent!

It’s an autoflower bonanza in the tiny tent (with a small photoperiod plant, who is waiting for a new home)

1. Spotted Lime (from @JBow918 )
  2. Forum Stomper F2 (from @Sebring)
  3. Ghost Rose Cookie Devil (from @Mr.Sparkle)
  4. Alien vs Triangle (mephisto)

Gonna be a heck of a harvest in a few months!
Trying to break the 2-gram-per-watt threshold! :sunglasses:

19 Likes

Oh mannnn… that’ll be a tangled mess of awesome

3 Likes

Same with the 3 gal octopots, 4 in a 2x2

13 Likes

Anyone want to plug me in to those pots with tops. Been looking. All I can find is dutch bato buckets. Which don’t look likes these. And other ones I’m finding cost an arm and a leg.

1 Like

I can’t get them either, in canada they say '"currently unavailable "

Amazon.com : Self Watering System for Potted Plants- 2 Pack Automatic Water Suction with Humidity Sensor - Flower Pot for House,Office,Garden and Yard : Patio, Lawn & Garden

3 Likes

Just picked up a couple of these. Thanks for the info. For those running this or similar, any differences in running a wick vs. no wick?

2 Likes

On my first 4, I put hydroton in the netpot on each, and on only one of them I put the included wick in the netpot / wicking between the hydroton / soil. That pot is too wet IMHO… The other 3 that are just hydroton, no wick, are pretty damn near perfect, dry on top, but moisture meter shows perfect moisture when checked below. I do keep the reservoirs between 1/2 and totally full, always want water in contact with the hydroton to keep the soil above moist.

Some others have packed the netpots with coco (per the instructions of an octopot setup) and they also have success, I would have thought that would be too wet, but apparently its not…

I still have 4 more yet to setup. Was thinking of no netpot, and using the wick on a fabric pot, and on a hard plastic pot in two of them… See how JUST the wick, without the octopot twist, does…

10 Likes

that would be interesting to see. I’m searching for the perfect netcup now. I want smth that’ll reach the bottom of the rezervoir.

1 Like

Especially for autos, they barely fill a 2-3g pot with roots as is, they might do just fine without roots getting down into the reservoir. Photos will definitely benefit with the added root zone.

I measured the hole in the lid, then searched. Couldnt find another wide lip that would work, and now the one I did purchase isnt even there to link! Those measurements woulda helped (packaging is blank, and no measuring tape near me downstairs at the moment).

You want the hole in the lid size to be just larger than the top diameter of the netpot

3 Likes

I use the original 6 gallon Octopots and am interested in these for my 2x2 tent

So I’ve not tried them myself I saw @GramTorino try net pots with mimics the original Octopots.
But I believe when you trans plant you should keep the Reservoir low this may help the roots travel to fine water
Just my 2 cents

2 Likes

I think that depends on the wicking ability of whats in the netpot. My WW and two GDP bonsai moms are totally filling the reservoir with roots now, and its always been 1/2 to full in the res to keep the hydroton wet so it can wick. Might be the way for a coco grower though, keep it half full or less… If I kept it too low, the hydroton won’t wick much water upwards,

To make them really look for water though ya can’t top water till they find the reservoir. I swear it makes the roots lazy.

2 Likes

Why not use cotton balls or sheets? I’ve found it whicks water very well.

This method is suggested by the manufacturer

Yeah just like the big Octopots keep the levels low till the roots travel down to the res

When I use a mature plant I don’t see the same amount of root ( less in the res but only if I break up the root ball do they travel downward ) as when I plant a young clone or I start a seedling directly into them the roots go wild )

1 Like

Yeah, someone else on here had experimented with these same auto watering bins… but used the included wicks and their results were the same… way too wet and caused problems with the plants grow.

2 Likes

After a few cycles with the reg octopot, this is true, water once and let it go dry for a couple days. Especially true on the first watering.

5 Likes