MOTR Does Micro

Sooooo made my rounds this morning taking a peak for what areas lights are on and saw the “boy” sagging asking for water…gave him ~2oz of plain water then checked on him again 3 hrs later - wilting!!! Decided to apply LIFTA for the rest of the day (9 hrs) and “he” is worse ((smh))

Everything was going so smoothly too! Aww well it happens especially when chemicals are involved…from the looks, I am thinking thirsty to overwatered though “he shouldn’t” be looking like this now which makes me think some sort of root issue is going on…algae or the chemicals got into the root system somehow. Anyway, applying more LIFTA though if “he” hasn’t rebounded by tomorrow after a nice 12 hr dark cycle, I will pull him and give SST treatments to the spread out girl to try again…

…and you guys want me to fill the space like my bigger cabinets ((smh)) I will once my confidence is up. It was getting there though now not so sure… I’ll have to think on it and weigh out if I want to continue trying to feminize DBHP atm or move on and try again later.

For the moment, I really enjoyed my 38F weather today from -10F 2 days ago (2F yesterday) and still in the afterglow of spending $24.00 instead of the full price of $365 for the preservation mail outs and now must turn the computer over to the youngest for his homework assignment of 40 min on Lexia = my time to smoke and think :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Don’t let your confidence wane. It’s just confused.

:cowboy_hat_face:

10 Likes

Its hard not to though your right…shit happens though “he” looks even worse today (if that’s even possible lol) so a bit later I will inspect the roots as I am sure that is the issue. For now “he” is on my kitchen counter chill-axing :wink:

2 Likes

I had a similar experience when I used STS on my Juanita…

2 Likes

Soooo I pulled “him” out of “his” pot…

Absolutely no root growth since “his” root trim :fearful: What roots are there definitely isn’t enough to handle this type of stress…well damn! No wonder “he” wilted and surprised it wasn’t sooner!

I have 3 other bonsai clones that need inspecting anyhow…maybe one of them is a good candidate to replace him? If so, I gotta get on it!

This one looks great up top in spite of the yellowing leaves from lack of water

Down below, not so much though appears new roots are replacing the older dead/dying ones

So she received a hair cut

This one looks decent enough

How about below?

Better. Though have to go ahead and see the last one as she appears to be the happiest
Up top

Down below

Decisions, decisions

And the chosen one is…

No time like the present to apply the already made up STS solution

16 Likes

I think for smaller plants, the CS is better. I am torn which to use in my Dark FAM project.

5 Likes

Your probably right…gentler. I just haven’t been able to get it to work for me then again I haven’t made my own yet either so there is that…if it fails again this time, i’ll bite the bullet and face my fear of electricity being so close to water as I am determined now :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Whelp, the new “boy” has been sprayed 3 times now and still looking unphased other than the nitro overload…

accidentally let their pots dry out too much…common theme in this journal lol Got it fixed just before they wilted then overdid it with a kelp and liquid fish foliar which they apparently didn’t need :fearful:

11 Likes

Coming along pretty nicely

Finally figured out what they want pushing the limits of my go to nutrients: drench feed - foliar feed - water - dry for 2 days and repeat

The “boy” is being very resistant to turn though looks like progress is happening

Meanwhile, the girl has finally decided to start flowering

Right behind her is a test run of DBHP with boy #1 seeds I set in yesterday

This test may seem like a waste to many as I am taking them 12/12 from seed to check germination and Males:Female ratio only…I may keep 1 or 2 girls (if any) to see how they fair in my cold(er) and dry summers for growth only…just do not have the space to take them to fruition nor want to deal with light deprivation outside though that may change. Women’s prerogative and all that lol :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Yesterday, I decided to pull the girl as I cannot keep up with her needs in the small pot…
Drench every night = dry soil in morning; moist afternoon, dry in eve
Fill bowl with 2 cups water overnight = moist soil in morning, totally dry in afternoon, moist in eve

Too mature for the little pot I suppose and tired of watching her barely maintain unable to pull her out of it

The new clones rooted and put into 3" pots on the 2nd…5 days

They need some time to get comfy…thats ok I am working on a self waterer to use - hopefully it’ll fix my watering problem with these lil plants.

Last but not least, the “boy” looks to be developing more though not quite sure yet

15 Likes

The “boy” sure is taking his sweet time turning though its starting to look like progress is being made

and still appears healthier than the girl I took out

I will give 1 last STS spray tomorrow then sit back and wait for more development

15 Likes

Busy garden! Something is definitely happening with that ‘boy’ there.

5 Likes

We have balls!!!

Now to keep his soil moist and let him do his thing :stuck_out_tongue: He is touching the light now so instead of snapping his neck, I tilted the board

Now that my self waterer is working as it should, I will be placing 2 of the new clones in it to start their transition though 1st on the build…

Took a 12 qt sterilite container and spray painted the outside of it dark gray…took 6 coats

Then I put a 6 qt one upside down inside the 12 qt one and wrapped felt around it

Taking the lid of the 12 qt one, I removed the inside section and snapped the lid on

Then took another 6qt one and melted a bunch of holes in it then set it on top, right side up to check the fit

Its a bit higher up than I wanted it so I removed the upside down 6qt container and put in 3 foam blocks and 2 old dvd cases on top of the blocks side by side then recovered with the felt

After adding 1 cup water and waiting 3 days, the soil got and stayed too moist so I added a 2nd layer of old dvd cases, let the soil dry out to bone dry then tried again…after 24 hrs 1/4 of the soil was moist and after 48 hrs, the soil is to the moisture level where I like it

Aaaaannnnd it fits perfectly in the micro cabinet taking up exactly 1/2 the space and only 7 1/2" high

I am so pleased with the self wicking this is doing outside of the cabinet, its time to try it out for real with 2 of the new DBHP girl clones…their light is currently out so i’ll wait until their morning to do the transplant

18 Likes

Now the lights are back on, I just grabbed 2 of the newly rooted clones

Checked for depth

Checked root structure progress

Dusted each hole with transplant formula and inserted into the self waterer and into the cabinet

I have to find a different spot for the fan now…probably on the door though looking good

If this works, there is just enough room for another one next to it…we’ll check progress in a few days :stuck_out_tongue:

14 Likes

Do you intend for the roots to take over the lower reservoir?

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

If they find their way out of the holes, they could weave through the felt which is wet from wicking the water up. This is something I am going to have to periodically check and see though I am hoping they won’t make it that far and stay nice and happy in the shallow bed I gave them :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Nice job on the planter! Looks like another would be a perfect fit!

3 Likes

Thanks! I was wanting 1 bed though the under the bed storage box was ~1/4" shy of fitting so just lucked out that the 12 qt fits so nice with room for another :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Very similar to a SIP planter like the Earthbox. Very cool :+1::seedling:

6 Likes

Yup! I like the wicking of the felt rather than a bed of perlite :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes