My first bagseed grow

Aren’t these in a closet? Only need to seal the closet at lights out and open it back up at lights on.

1 Like

I have them in the center of my room ATM, but if I had someone help me I could move them to a different spot. Maybe in my closet now would be better. The whole bin won’t fit in it though. The closet I ripped those shelves from was barely larger than the front to back distance of the shelf. My shoulders are wider. Though it would make creating a box for them easier hmmm… The plug isn’t near it though. I’ll have to solve the short cord issue before I move them in the closet.

Edit: it’s a 8x10 room. Not even a standard ceiling, but I’m working with what I have atm. 8 foot ceilings, but at least they have room to spread out

1 Like

Oh yeah. I don’t have any doors in that closet either. I’m in a small apartment with a hallway connecting to my living room with no door, my old bedroom that’s now my grow room with a 2 inch gap under the door, my bathroom, and an open kitchen at the end. Not a lot of ability to block light to that room without working hard. If sunlight gets in any room in the house, then it lights up my hallway. I should have been more clear about that from the start. At least it barely let’s light out of that door when the lights are on. The door let’s light in through the hallway very easily. I also have a grate in the vents that you can see the grow room through. I put something over the vent, I have a blackout shade in each window(light still comes in through the gaps), one of them has my only blackout curtain, I used the tablecloth and trash bags propped against the other window with a futon, I sealed any cracks with black trash bags and the rest of my tape, I have 3 of the shelves at the bottom of the door(1 against it flush with the floor and 2 under the crack in the door) in an attempt to block light leaks. Despite all that effort I can still see my hand 2 feet from my face after 2 minutes in the dark in there. I don’t have any money for awhile, so I’m relying on my family and friends to help out when they can and only when I’m not imposing on them. I promise I’m working on it, but I need to get a job that can feed me and have money leftover before I could spend any on my grow. As much as I love them I still need to eat or I won’t be there to see them to harvest.

2 Likes

You’ll figure something out. You could always try autoflower seeds instead. I would be happy to send you some. They would have been close to harvest by now if you have vegged these for 8 weeks…

2 Likes

Anywhere you can point me to learn what I should to take care of autos? I’m being told it can be very hard by a lot of people. I want to though TBH. It sounds a lot less expensive to not buy a million and one things to perfectly black out the light.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That’s not as scary as it was sounding. I’ll take you up on your offer for some auto seeds @ReikoX
I definitely want to make sure I have something to smoke with my grandpa when he visits this year.
Plus I can grow these ones outside if I use containers I can move instead of a all in one choice I made while I didn’t know better.
The light at 11am is around 100k-200k lux on my meter. Not a perfect measurement, but the sun is always more efficient than lights for intensity anyways. I never measured the lux at midday yet, but it’s also blinding outside at that time. I must be in a area lined up with the sun during those times during the summer. I’m nowhere near the equator though. I’ve seen the sunlight in Hawaii. Not a shadow cast at all when the sun is directly overhead.

1 Like

I didn’t water today, but the topsoil wasn’t dry enough yet. I’ll water the soil in the morning if enough of it is dry

I’ve seen 4 females now. The runt wound up a female. If not then I’m confusing new leaf growth on it. The other 3 are sprouting white pistils from a teardrop shaped calyx. The front and center one and the front corner one are a mystery to me. Almost looks like green hairs from a calyx. I’ll see if I can’t use my microscope somehow. Not sure if I’ll be able to take a pic though. I’ll need a 3rd hand. The back left one doesn’t appear to be showing sex yet for some reason, but then again yesterday only the back right one was showing sex.

TL;DR: back left plant is indeterminate sex ATM, front left is female, runt is female, back center is female, back right is female, front right is needing further investigation, and front and center is also needing further investigation. I was able to see all this with my naked eye, and I’ll try to use my scope to see better.

u or doing a great job for first grow i believe u will up grade light soon.

1 Like

I tried to upload the pics showing visually each ones status, but I guess once I find out I’ll post with missing plants and that pic will upload.

1 Like

How much time do I have before any possible males/hermies after showing presex pollinate the grow? I’m seeing some tough call growth. One seems to be male, but closer to the top I see the calyx is more female in shape, but the pistil is green.

There’s no way I got all female. The odds are just really against my favor on that one. I’m sure I just saw wrong, but all 4 corner ones are growing white pistils. The only one to be a total mystery is the front and center one. It makes me wonder.

Actually, since you are using bag seed, the chances that they came from an intersex pollination are high. If a female goes intersex and pollinated itself (or another female) the resulting seeds will be female, but also carry the intersex trait.

2 Likes

I see. Is there a good visual guide for when I can know for certain if it’s male or not? At least one of them seems to be male.

https://overgrow.com/t/male-or-female-official-identification-thread/5931

1 Like

I have a up close pic of the back right one that showed sex first. The rest are overhead and from the side

I have to walk my dog now. I’ll take more pics up close once I’m back.

She’s so happy! :blush:

4 Likes

No wonder every bag seed I ever threw in the ground was female! Good to know!

3 Likes

Actually it’s harder than it was yesterday to see the calyx and pitsils. I tried to take some pictures, but my camera on my phone is failing if the odd black lines and occasional pinkish purple discoloration where the shutter should be invisible. Growth has stabilized now. I’m thinking the front right and front and center might be male. I’ll keep an eye on them. If I see clusters I’ll pull them out and stick them in my freezer until I get enough oil and everclear to extract anything of value in them after I do a water wash first. I might be a newbie grower, but I’ve turned extraction without hydrocarbons or a distillation setup into an art form. All my friends ask me to let them try my infusions, so I must be doing something right. I figured out to infuse water with a decent amount of THC and I find that a accomplishment. I had to sacrifice the clear color to do it, but that’s not a issue in a receipe lol.

Excuse my rambling. I smoked a joint of some Sour Diesel with a linalool smelling hash to test the potency before I make a receipe. I might be a lot higher than I was expecting and I’m discovering each second I’m really high. Good morning if I say so.:ok_hand: No complaining here. I’ll just join my plants in a veg session. I’ll be able to get the 2nd splitter soon. I have extra lights without sockets to go in now. Those 2700k lights seem to be helping and I think I’ll need them once I flip to help balance out the white light to more yellow. The white light should help to keep growth in check though as I can’t have a plant taller than 5 feet. I only have a 8 foot ceiling and they’re already 1 foot above the floor and the tallest female is almost 2 feet now. She’s growing up faster than the rest. I’m almost positive that the right corner one was from the white widow bagseed. She just seems like she’s unaffected by Everything that’s happened and still happening during this grow. Just a nice steady growth and the pests don’t bug her as much. She was the first to show sex as well. The up close pic of the calyx and pistils are from her. The rest of them seem to be growing and showing sex at a much slower pace. All 3 in the back are female and the left corner one is also female. The runt is growing odd, but seems to be female. The other w in the front right and center are growing what seems like a teardrop shape, but I don’t see white hairs yet. They also seem to be growing bananas too. I’m hoping those are just new growth shoots. They are getting bushy again. I might need to prune off some shade leaves to give her more light if the pace they’re filling out continues before I get the splitter and other corncob lights in 2700k. They really seem to like the 2 I added. They started a mini growth spurt and even the runt grew faster with shorter nodes. She’s almost caught up with the rest. Soon she might be getting as tall as the rest.

Now it’s a rant. Oops. I’ll leave it at that. I’m just really excited to see what I get come harvest.

1 Like

I’m only confirming female once I see the 2 pistils pop out of the calyx. 2 back corner plants are female, the front left corner is female, front and center appears to be male, front right is too hard with the naked eye to sex, and the runt isn’t showing sex at all. The runt wasn’t ready yet I guess. Once I eat some food I’ll take pics. I spent all my energy not falling over at the angle I have to bend to see them right.

On a side note I have noticed that the tops of the plants started growing at a angle. At that angle I’m noticing a new shoot growing out at a upward angle with the main shoot. Did I accidentally do some kind of topping technique? I don’t know if that’s normal after enough nodes are grown or something.

Edit: I just realized that my constant handling of them could have damaged the tops a bit. They are still very easy to bend and train. Especially on the new growth. Maybe one of the times I moved them to water or inspect them I bent the tops and possibly caused some mild damage that caused a new shoot to grow from that point. IDK really. I’m just thinking of what I could’ve done to cause this.

1 Like

Here’s today’s pics.

The water I gave them yesterday is already used up. The top 2 inches of soil are almost bone dry. There’s some moisture when I go 2 inches down, but only really enough to get under my fingernails and not on my skin.
I guess I finally reached that time where they drink a lot🤷🏻‍♂️
I’m noticing new growth is lighter in shade compared to the rest of the leaves.
Here’s the females. I’ll mark what each one was.
This is the back right.

This is the back left.

This is the front left.

This one’s back and center. I still can’t figure out it’s sex

My camera sucks and keeps trying to focus on background details instead of what’s directly in front of it. It’s also only a s7edge camera, so it’s pretty Garbage either way. My old s5 took better pictures than this POS.

Here’s the back center shade leaves showing a issue. Not sure what though.

2 Likes