My first bagseed grow

u or doing a great job for first grow i believe u will up grade light soon.

1 Like

I tried to upload the pics showing visually each ones status, but I guess once I find out Iā€™ll post with missing plants and that pic will upload.

1 Like

How much time do I have before any possible males/hermies after showing presex pollinate the grow? Iā€™m seeing some tough call growth. One seems to be male, but closer to the top I see the calyx is more female in shape, but the pistil is green.

Thereā€™s no way I got all female. The odds are just really against my favor on that one. Iā€™m sure I just saw wrong, but all 4 corner ones are growing white pistils. The only one to be a total mystery is the front and center one. It makes me wonder.

Actually, since you are using bag seed, the chances that they came from an intersex pollination are high. If a female goes intersex and pollinated itself (or another female) the resulting seeds will be female, but also carry the intersex trait.

2 Likes

I see. Is there a good visual guide for when I can know for certain if itā€™s male or not? At least one of them seems to be male.

https://overgrow.com/t/male-or-female-official-identification-thread/5931

1 Like

I have a up close pic of the back right one that showed sex first. The rest are overhead and from the side

I have to walk my dog now. Iā€™ll take more pics up close once Iā€™m back.

Sheā€™s so happy! :blush:

4 Likes

No wonder every bag seed I ever threw in the ground was female! Good to know!

3 Likes

Actually itā€™s harder than it was yesterday to see the calyx and pitsils. I tried to take some pictures, but my camera on my phone is failing if the odd black lines and occasional pinkish purple discoloration where the shutter should be invisible. Growth has stabilized now. Iā€™m thinking the front right and front and center might be male. Iā€™ll keep an eye on them. If I see clusters Iā€™ll pull them out and stick them in my freezer until I get enough oil and everclear to extract anything of value in them after I do a water wash first. I might be a newbie grower, but Iā€™ve turned extraction without hydrocarbons or a distillation setup into an art form. All my friends ask me to let them try my infusions, so I must be doing something right. I figured out to infuse water with a decent amount of THC and I find that a accomplishment. I had to sacrifice the clear color to do it, but thatā€™s not a issue in a receipe lol.

Excuse my rambling. I smoked a joint of some Sour Diesel with a linalool smelling hash to test the potency before I make a receipe. I might be a lot higher than I was expecting and Iā€™m discovering each second Iā€™m really high. Good morning if I say so.:ok_hand: No complaining here. Iā€™ll just join my plants in a veg session. Iā€™ll be able to get the 2nd splitter soon. I have extra lights without sockets to go in now. Those 2700k lights seem to be helping and I think Iā€™ll need them once I flip to help balance out the white light to more yellow. The white light should help to keep growth in check though as I canā€™t have a plant taller than 5 feet. I only have a 8 foot ceiling and theyā€™re already 1 foot above the floor and the tallest female is almost 2 feet now. Sheā€™s growing up faster than the rest. Iā€™m almost positive that the right corner one was from the white widow bagseed. She just seems like sheā€™s unaffected by Everything thatā€™s happened and still happening during this grow. Just a nice steady growth and the pests donā€™t bug her as much. She was the first to show sex as well. The up close pic of the calyx and pistils are from her. The rest of them seem to be growing and showing sex at a much slower pace. All 3 in the back are female and the left corner one is also female. The runt is growing odd, but seems to be female. The other w in the front right and center are growing what seems like a teardrop shape, but I donā€™t see white hairs yet. They also seem to be growing bananas too. Iā€™m hoping those are just new growth shoots. They are getting bushy again. I might need to prune off some shade leaves to give her more light if the pace theyā€™re filling out continues before I get the splitter and other corncob lights in 2700k. They really seem to like the 2 I added. They started a mini growth spurt and even the runt grew faster with shorter nodes. Sheā€™s almost caught up with the rest. Soon she might be getting as tall as the rest.

Now itā€™s a rant. Oops. Iā€™ll leave it at that. Iā€™m just really excited to see what I get come harvest.

1 Like

Iā€™m only confirming female once I see the 2 pistils pop out of the calyx. 2 back corner plants are female, the front left corner is female, front and center appears to be male, front right is too hard with the naked eye to sex, and the runt isnā€™t showing sex at all. The runt wasnā€™t ready yet I guess. Once I eat some food Iā€™ll take pics. I spent all my energy not falling over at the angle I have to bend to see them right.

On a side note I have noticed that the tops of the plants started growing at a angle. At that angle Iā€™m noticing a new shoot growing out at a upward angle with the main shoot. Did I accidentally do some kind of topping technique? I donā€™t know if thatā€™s normal after enough nodes are grown or something.

Edit: I just realized that my constant handling of them could have damaged the tops a bit. They are still very easy to bend and train. Especially on the new growth. Maybe one of the times I moved them to water or inspect them I bent the tops and possibly caused some mild damage that caused a new shoot to grow from that point. IDK really. Iā€™m just thinking of what I couldā€™ve done to cause this.

1 Like

Hereā€™s todayā€™s pics.

The water I gave them yesterday is already used up. The top 2 inches of soil are almost bone dry. Thereā€™s some moisture when I go 2 inches down, but only really enough to get under my fingernails and not on my skin.
I guess I finally reached that time where they drink a lotšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Iā€™m noticing new growth is lighter in shade compared to the rest of the leaves.
Hereā€™s the females. Iā€™ll mark what each one was.
This is the back right.

This is the back left.

This is the front left.

This oneā€™s back and center. I still canā€™t figure out itā€™s sex

My camera sucks and keeps trying to focus on background details instead of whatā€™s directly in front of it. Itā€™s also only a s7edge camera, so itā€™s pretty Garbage either way. My old s5 took better pictures than this POS.

Hereā€™s the back center shade leaves showing a issue. Not sure what though.

2 Likes

I saw signs of heat stress, so I raised the lights and sprayed them right before lights out. The soil was completely dry 2 inches down and I watered right before lights out also.

Iā€™ll have to remove the middle shelf and raise the lights up high soon.

The system I have in place for blocking out light needs work. Iā€™ll be getting some money soon that I can use to make it block out all light. By the time I get the rest of the things I need itā€™ll be time to flip at least. I want to make sure the second is defined before I flip them.

Does it stress them if I move them around the container? If I have males I have to pull Iā€™ll probably want to move them around for more root space. All the seeds I sowed from the companion plants the 2nd time have started to pop up all over. There still seems to be spots with no plants.
I did see some of them have found their way to the base stem and appear to initially cause issues before stabilizing and then improving. If itā€™s a good thing Iā€™m thinking of a cilantro plant at each base area. Iā€™m not going to plant the garlic chive near the roots unless Iā€™m assured itā€™s okay and wonā€™t swell up and cause root damage. Iā€™ll want them nearby though. It was specifically the chive that causes an initial deficiency or toxicity in the shade leaves. Each time a garlic chive popped up the nearby plants would have issues for a week or so until the chive wasnā€™t a seedling anymore. If anyone knows why that is? Iā€™d appreciate the information. Iā€™ll order the BT when I can find it or grab it in a shop if I see it. I want to stop using the miracle gro all purpose fertilizer ASAP. Iā€™ll be ordering some megacrop once I get a card to use online.

I donā€™t have a lot of money to spend, but Iā€™ll do what I can to help these girls stay happy and healthy. I saw the temp go above 80f today, so I turned on the AC again and pointed it up high and not directly at them. Low fan speed either way. Temps dropped to 75f after a few hours. The heat stress was also possibly caused by the high humidity today. The room never went above 60% even though it was 90% humidity outside all day.

1 Like

Hereā€™s todayā€™s pics. Seems heat stress is still here.
Edit: I added the lamp on bottom again to help the little ones get more light now that they got bushy again.

1 Like

Try to angle it so itā€™s in the middle from what I can see itā€™s off to one side

1 Like

Do you mean the lamp? I have it pointing to where the light is lowest. That spot usually gets about 1000 lux at soil level average with as low as 250 lux. The lamp is hard to position as itā€™s a large lamp, but I did get it near. I wish I could disassemble the thing and make my life easier.

Yes, you will cut off roots and stress the plant. I dont suggest it.

1 Like

get some microbs for those dead roots or accidental cut offs

1 Like

And thatā€™s why I asked first. Thank you! Iā€™ll keep an eye in them and when the time comes there will be a culling. Until then Iā€™ll practice LIFTA and just keep them hydrated and happy. The other day it was just a day before I had to water again. They drank a lot on Saturday. When I reduced the temperature to 74 the soil stopped drying so fast. Iā€™m using the rule of: ā€œif itā€™s uncomfortable in the room for me, then so are they.ā€

That was 1st on my list of things to do. Itā€™s not that expensive for nutrients at my local hydro shop. 15 for a bottle of Micro nutrients for soil. They sell a huge jug of them all too, but those are cost prohibitive. 100 average for a 2 gallons of any of the nutrients. Iā€™ll get them when I have the cash and can afford to blow 100 on supplies.

Also what do you mean by dead leaves or accidental cutoffs? If you mean all the pruned stems from soil to canopy, then I had to prune then to give them more light. The runt was getting smothered and the rest of them werenā€™t liking being that bushy with the lights I have. Maybe it was the pests. All I know is that pruning like that helped a lot. I see new growth from almost every point I pruned at. Later on Iā€™ll be better prepared for super bushy plants.

id get somebody to backup what i saidā€¦im also on my first grow

1 Like