My first bagseed grow

Too tired to take pics. Will once I’m up. They seem to be mildly dropping, but I did use a gallon of water mixed with the tea and neem oil. If it helps or hurts in the end I’ll see later

The HPS keeps shutting off. The switch is getting finicky. I’ll have to repair it later once I find out why.
They’ve had half the day without the HPS. Despite that they don’t look bad. They definitely look like they’d have dried out a bit more of I had it on.
It’s on now, so time will tell. All the companions I planted have finally popped up. Sweet basil, Greek oregano, cilantro, and garlic chives. I plan on adding more in separate pots later. I have a bad male mosquito problem in my house rn. I see 2 on average flying around at any point in the day all week.

Update: ughhhhhh the light turns itself off after a few minutes of use now. I’ll have to get a new bulb if it’s not the switch falling out

3 Likes

Well then… I need to start using a checklist. I was so exhausted last night that I forgot to turn on the heat lamp too. The area looks bright again. I knew something was off. I can’t be doing that to them. Gotta keep the lights from dropping efficiency

They do look to be clawing, so I’ll be keeping away from nutes until this improves. They do have a nice color though. The new growth is coming in at a darker green now instead of lime yellow/green before getting their color. Still a shade of yellow, but not too obvious until yellow light or strong white light shines through them.
I’m getting to anxious about it today. Time to spark one up. Found a paper I hid awhile back wit ha reclaim smear on it. I added a lot of keif, 100mg CBD isolate with 20k jack terpenes, and the last 3 roaches I had from last night. One way or another I’m gonna relax today. I’m in for a treat halfway down

My messy ass table LoL :rofl:
The Martian is nice, but tastes like tar even after cleaning from just a few uses.

2 Likes

I’ll be looking at either building a grow box or buying a tent. Whatever is least expensive for the size I need. I’ll get fabric pots and I’ll be changing the soil. overall the large pot was a bad idea. If I had things properly planned out with it and executed, then maybe it would be different, but at least I’m learning.

Also I can diy a light if that’s a cost effective route. With myself and my so we can make just about anything we need to. If an argument about costs is to be made be perfectly clear as my funds are not just my own.

Quick update: the plants are still clawed a little bit, but are improving fast. No other visible issues with color or growth rate. In fact they’re growing faster and the runt is adjusting quickly. It looks like it just had to grow it’s roots a bit and grow a little more leaves.
I’m buying 100ft mylar, some adjustable hangars for lights, and anything else I can tack on for the room under 100. I’m taking advantage of my last month of Amazon prime to buy supplies

Also I have a buddy who will invest in the room. His terms are easy to comply with and they’ll be helping me to help them, so it’s a win win. I want to build my own lights with some green lights mixed in for when they get dense for light penetration. If anyone has tips I’ll be working out what I need in the next few days and making plans to get them all.

My tip would be to step back and let them grow a little bit before making so many changes. It seems like you are trying to address a problem you don’t even know is really there and possibly making more problems for yourself. Just let the plant do it’s thing and keep it happy. Of course improvements to the set up and stuff are nice but, you don’t even know how well this one does yet. Let a learning experience be just that, a learning experience. Cheers and good luck! Much love, Artisan

1 Like

I’m growing for personal use, so even if this grow doesn’t work out I’ll keep trying.
I still have to fix the lighting around them. There light leaks in the room and I should be addressing that asap. The aphids have been flying around the soil for the whole time they’ve been in that pot. It can’t hurt to make them toxic to pests that are infesting the soil.
It’s in my best interest to get a setup I can reliably use to accommodate my needs. These are being grown for medical reasons, but I’m not exactly against getting high. I just want my health looked out for and a sanitary environment for my babies.
If I’m taking care of them like a infant for maximum yeild I may as well treat them like one.
Just FYI my rate at this point is now at an oz every couple days if I smoke and 1g oil a day if I dab. Still cheaper than antipsychotics and no harm on my body where I need monthly blood tests.

1 Like

Whoops!:sweat_smile: Forgot yesterday’s update.
I’ve been helping a friend move.
The babies are recovering well from the treatment, but I’ve noticed the tips of a few are going brown and crispy. These were all looking clawed up after the tobacco/ghost pepper tea mixed with bioneem and then all mixed with a gallon of water.
New growth is rapid otherwise and newest leaves are growing with a lot of fingers that don’t seem to have any visual issues, so maybe it was a bit of a overload for them when I watered them before.
No sign of pests rn, so hopefully it was worth stressing them out.

1 of the plants in particular appear to be a indica and it’s thriving actually. Though it’s starter leaves are turning yellow, nothing else about it seems off. It’s growing dense new growth. In the time I was writing about it the newest leaves just opened up. They were pointing straight up at first. I didn’t expect to have it open up when my back was turned. It’s nodes are growing in increasingly shorter distance from each other. One of the newest is only 2mm long before it made a new node! :astonished:

I’m going based off new growth for how it’s doing and observing older leaves for issues.
I’ll take pictures now instead of text walling.
I’ll update once I can get some good pics.

3 Likes

Here’s the thriving one

Here’s the one that’s showing some problems

Now for the rest of the pics

1 Like

After I watered the soil thoroughly I noticed the aphids came out in droves. I counted at least 10 different adults popping out of the soil. I sprayed the leaves with the tea and the soil surface. I know lights are on, but those pests won’t outlive this

They appear to be liking the water so far with no drooping. I only used 1 gallon of water at 80f. The same temp of the room and soil.

Can anyone tell me when I should start to increase watering?

I’ve just been using the wait for the first 2 inches of topsoil are dry enough to pass the test when I stick my finger in and don’t feel wet soil. It’s almost damp, but not quite. It’s hard to explain. 1 gallon of water doesn’t seem like it’s enough, but they used to be prone to damping off and now they don’t budge even if I accidentally pour water on the tops while watering. I watered at the roots directly to make the mounds hydrated also.

Actually how should I be watering those mounds? They dry out faster than the rest of the soil. I also noticed roots are growing in the mounds now, so I’m stuck with the soil being kept up to that level at least now.

1 Like

I noticed the aphids are staying away from the left side altogether. The left side has all the garlic chive and cilantro popping up. The right side has 1 cilantro and no garlic chive. Makes me wonder if I should be planting more cilantro and chive in the area

2 Likes

Cilantro is a member of the mint family, which do have incect repellent properties.

I have some notes from Clackamass Coots on root aphids, you may find it helpful.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what’s happening when I watered the soil or got it wet at all. Before only 1 or 2 would come out. Literally a night and day difference.

I didn’t see them today yet. I’m being aggressive in my pest control tactics. I’ll transplant some mint and lavender from my garden in the soil.
Can anyone point me to somewhere I can learn about companion planting with details on why each is good and not just cutting off at yeild and oil production?

1 Like

Now that they’re rooted enough to handle it and it was time to water I found out 3 gallons is the amount that causes runoff when I water once the first inch is dry. It takes 1 gallon just to get all the mounds wet with no dry spots. I guess I can test runoff now. I just need to find a way to access it. :sweat_smile:
I never drilled the drainage hole to install a drip system. Can’t have algae buildup

Well then… I’ve been underwatering them it seems.
They look lively after I added the water this time.
As always that indica is just thriving. New growth has halted after the last few days. However they’re adjusting well to the companion plants, so it’s most likely from the new plants taking up resources for now. Once the root system stabilizes I’ll see what I have to do if anything. Some of the plants provide fixed nutrients to the soil.

On a side note I’ll look into if there’s a combination of plants that I can plant for a no till method that provides all the nutrients needed. Of course during flowering I can’t expect what they provide to be sufficient, however it would be amazing if that’s possible.

Also in the future when I’m able I’ll be installing a system that allows me to monitor and control it remotely.

If anyone is reading this far I’ll be making a automated system that would allow me to water, add nutrients, change the lights, add neem oil if needed, adjust the fans, and raise the lights if needed. Look forward to my system. I’ll trust anything I make with my hands to do a better job than anything I buy. Most things that i don’t make break from casual use. I build things to last and withstand even the clumsiest individual.

I’ll start taking pictures again on lights on. One of the plants is acting different from the rest. I got the light socket in the lamp to dangle above one of the plants and it started to lift all it’s stems pointing at an angle up. Overall cone shape to it.
Unless I’m mistaken it seems to like that. I have to make a few lights to hang directly above if that’s the case.
If I get them to the flowering stage I’ll have to keep some lights at the base pointed up to help with penetration