My first bagseed grow

No visible issues with them despite the infestation getting out of control. They’re attacking the stems now. I’m brewing more nicotine tea to spray at full concentration. I’ll get some fly paper and work on killing the adults in any way I can

That’s the best pics I can get on my phone. I have to get a macro lens

Well, I finally saw them. Tiny little translucent white crawlers on the soil after I watered again. Really hard to see. My camera can’t focus on things that small. It can barely take a blurry pic of a winged one. They appear to have a lot of legs. Almost a pill bug or potato bug(those things that curl up in a ball) too small for a millipede or a centipede. They did appear to be nibbling on the soil itself though. Odd. If I had a camera able to see them I’d take a pic. It looks like this grow will be overrun well before I could just switch it to 12/12 and just get what I can before they die. Unless they can magically handle lots of nutrients to balance out the bugs. I’ll see what’s going to happen. I’m making tea from pope tobacco daily. I’m buying a bag of it tomorrow I’ll make a large batch for watering the soil with. No more teaball. All with a large mesh bag I have. It looks like a giant teabag. If not for these fuckers the seed should have done fine. The thriving indica is just seemingly ignoring the pests that are on it. I see a lot of them on that plant swarming it and it’s doing the best. If I didn’t know better I’d say that it’s commanding them to feed it nutrients LoL. If only a plant learned to command those pests. Whoever gets that miracle plant better breed that into a stable seed that can grow many more of that same pest commanding nature. That miracle is just a pipe dream, but it’d be nice.

Also the soil level is getting low. The runoff is also almost touching the bottom of the drainage holes. I’m at a loss on how I’m going to get a hole in that with no tools. I have a torch, but I’m sure that’s going to do way more harm than good. Nothing thick enough to make a decent hole. I was going to buy a tool to install a way to test runoff. I could also drain it to keep algae away. Though at this rate unless those were nematodes or some beneficial microbe idk about, then I’m just here till they fall over and die. Gives me time to get the room setup for a proper grow on my next attempt. If I can magically solve this, then I’ll be able to smoke this by either Christmas or New year’s. Preferably Halloween or Thanksgiving as I have plans then.

be careful with this @OniTenshu :smiley: your plants r looking good but the biggest mistake most new growers make is loving their plants to death… @ReikoX has an amazing product (LITFA) which u may do well to invest in (its free!). also re: nutrients you may look in to greenleaf nutrients MEGACROP - i believe they have a free 230g sample ($3 shipping US) and it’s organic enough for my liking… smells like straight manure anyways :smiley: btw i never water til runoff, seems wasteful

those dont look like any aphids i see on google images… looks like fungus gnats to me… not sure about tiny white crawlies either, a picture would help… i think you’d be better off buying a real pest control instead of buying tobacco … if you cut off access to the soil fungus gnats will die off… can use 1" of playground sand or something… also a drench of the top 1-2" of soil with h2o2 will kill larvae etc… maybe not sure if neem is effective against those things or not?

i vape 50 and prob vape 20ml (1000mg) some days… but i’m probably exhaling a majority of it… i think cigarettes contain ~10mg and you only absorb maybe 1mg … i think 10-25% bioavailability from smoking … ingesting or skin contact would be much higher… sometimes i put juice on a cotton ball and put it in the lip like dipping tobacco, if im somewhere i can’t vape for a long time

1 Like

I can say for sure neem didn’t touch them.
I used bioneem ®
Either way I’ll be doing what I can to kill off the pests. If I watch the plants slowly die I’ll use it as a learning experience to get better soiland prep first. No more sowing seeds while high AF on memorial day the second it starts.:sweat_smile:

When I watered them last night I added 1/2 strength fertilizer. Full strength spread over 2 gallons effectively halving it. They’re growing suckers now, which I hear are the ones that clone. The Indica as always is doing just fine while the rest just sorta are accepting death. The exception is the 2 in the back left. The stems on them are almost as thick as a #2 pencil now. Also one in the back left has 9 leaves ATM :astonished:
Bit yeah they were showing nitrogen deficiency in the starter leaves and the first fingers that popped up. I let it happen for a couple days to see if it was pH or not, but all I see is just yellowing of the entire leaf from the tip to the stem. The leaves that are dying go brown at the tip and get crispy. No black tissue though.
On a side note that indica had the same issue on one of the first finger leaves, but after I watered with fertilizer it’s getting green back in that seemingly dead leaf tip. I guess I caught it right before the cells died or idk what’s happening.

Dammnnnnn they grew fast today!:astonished:
I checked on them right before lights out and they really responded well to the watering yesterday.
Plus the tobacco treatment is helping them to fend off the pests

1 Like

Here’s the pics of them without the lights altering the color. Better to see any visible issues.

3 Likes

For some reason I believe a good layer of worm castings go a long way in prevention of fungus nats getting into soil if they do they sure don’t stay around very long! Of course the worm casting have predatory mites as well that’s a double whammy for those little f@ckers!

1 Like

We make work castings at home actually :sweat_smile:
I’ll have to get some and do what I can. Might have to reapply some diatomaceous earth on the surface again as well once the topsoil gets dry again.

It’s almost dry enough to apply some. The plant in the back right isn’t getting enough light for sure.
I’ve noticed the starter leaves are growing suckers now. One seems to be trying to regrow the starter leaf it’s shedding to get a thicker stem. The leaf looks almost serrated, but it’s rounded and growing out of the same spot as the starter leaf. Odd :thinking:

Overall the tobacco treatment is working really well.
The leaves look unaffected by all the pests scattered on them. I’ll buy some flypaper asap and see if I can’t help to reduce the adult population.

On a side note I do have honey, but it’s a chili infused hot honey. Someone mentioned to use honey awhile back. Could someone chime in on if that would be useful in place of regular honey? It’s a organic local honey if that helps.

I’m here all day to answer any questions about my grow. Anyone curious feel free to ask. I tend to forget to add details and don’t realize it until I’m told.

Here’s a pic of them this morning. They’re doing really well. The stems are getting very thick and sturdy now.
I have to get ready to head out really fast, but once I’m back I can snap some stem pics.

1 Like

I have noticed that the sativa looking one on the left seems to be showing deficiency or toxicity symptoms. I’ll have to check what the issue is and see if I can’t do anything for it. It might be a pH issue though as it seems to be multiple issues at once. The rest of the plants don’t show the same visual issues, but they could just be better acclimated to indoor grows and showing issues later instead of right away.

I’m following everyone’s advice and letting them show me what they need rather than panicking and accidentally killing them with a “fix”. The gnats or whatever they are are very small in number now and seemingly appear to be decreasing in number.
Maybe those tiny white pill bug looking things I could barely see aren’t the gnats or a pest. I’m hoping that’s the case, but whatever is happening I do know the adult count has been decreasing each day after the initial explosion where I felt like I would walk out with a beard made of them after going close. I haven’t sprayed them since my last update about it, so they seem to not need it or I’ll have to keep it up until I see none and I can maybe cultivate the aphids mites or whatever the name of the natural predator of aphids and gnats are.

I mixed in diatomaceous earth with the fertilized water and added some sweet orange oil, lemon oil, Clary sage oil, rosemary oil, bergomot oil, and eucalyptus oil to the water too. I’m probably going to regret it, but I’ll make the mistake worse later if I don’t learn better I’m sure. I’m dumb like that.
At least I’m not lying and not admitting it while asking for help if it goes wrong.

1 Like

Diatomaceous earth is useless when wet. How much essential oil did you add per gallon? Essential oils are usually sprayed foliarlly, not a soil drench. I get you are excited and feel like you need to do something every day. Often the best approach is to Leave It The F Alone.

1 Like

I don’t think you realize I’ve left them alone for days. I’ve been staring at them prepping stuff for today. I added a few drops per bottle and spread it over 2 gallons. It also was allowed to settle overnight. The main goal if it doesn’t kill them is to get them out of the soil. Tbh a insect repellent incense smells stronger.

At least in the area of using essential oils to kill pests I’m not that worried. Been doing that for 20 years now with great success. If you need a ant infestation gone, just use tinfoil and a borax infused simple syrup. Drop enough to make a noticable amount that won’t dry easy. Keep away from animals you want alive. The ants will carry the solution off to the colony happily every time and every time the colony collapses and they look elsewhere for food.

Carry on then, I just see you posting updates twice a day. You seem to have a lot of anxiety over these bugs you haven’t even identified.

1 Like

I left them alone and now that they’re showing deficiency issues. I’m not going to starve them so sorry, but I’m going to have to use my eyes and hands to see when it time to water them instead of following your advice to leave them alone and watch them die slowly and wither away from lack of food. They grew pretty fast and at the rate they’re drying out the soil I’ll have to feed them often.
I only water when the topsoil is dry. I scrape at it, stuck a finger straight in, and I grab a ball and squeeze it. If it feels moist at best I’ll foliar feed.

Also I’ve been using the diatomaceous earth more as a calcium supplement as my local tap water is low in calcium. It’s high in something. I’ll have to pull the local report up again.

I redid the setup as they were almost grown into it.
I’ll be doing what I can to get more lights, but money is tight. I have enough to grab a pack of games or something to smoke a blunt with. I’m clearly aggrivates rn and I need to calm down.
I almost killed the plants when the HPS almost fell on them all. The new setup has to be reinforced.
I only have to put up with it long enough for my buddy to buy me that tent he wants to get me.
Basically a $800 tent with a boss MCH/LEC in it. Comes with ducting and fans in included also. 3x3 tent. Lmk if it’s worth it or if there’s better options as he’s a stubborn fool, but he’s a good friend.

Anyways sorry for snapping at you @ReikoX
I almost had a panic attack and my response should have waited until I calmed down.

2 Likes

I’m sure as you see my setup needs a lot of work, but as I add better lighting I’ll still probably end up using those bulbs as supplemental lighting as they grow denser and in more need of light below.

I did notice the heat lamp there seems to amplify the light from the led. Directly up to them I get about 30k lux at around 2 inches and past that it’s at 16k rapidly dropping. With the reflector dish its 30k about a foot away and 70k up close. The only time I see anywhere near 70k is if I touch my light sensor to the led directly, so any idea how that’s happening and should I get more then work out distance? I don’t have a par meter.

I was going to be already working, but I’m still out of a job ATM. The guy who vouched for me almost died on the job a couple of weeks ago, so that’s not working out any time soon. You all don’t want to hear it I’m sure, but I’ll be doing what I can with what I have before I can afford to properly take care of them. It could be worse. I could have no fertilizer at all and lead filled tap water. At least I have companion plants to help out once they grow. I just need them to grow faster.

Also I Forgot to mention, but the soil has small white worms wriggling out when I watered. I could barely see them. Smallest thing I’ve had to ever squint at. As thick as dog fur at best. I’m assuming a nematode of some kind. My camera doesn’t have enough room or clarity to see anything that small. If my right eye can’t see it any camera under 16x zoom can’t either. One upside to a severely nearsighted right eye. yayyyyyyy for almost losing my eye in a fight as a kid!:rofl: It works in my favor now. One severely nearsighted and one severely farsighted. I got to see a hawk devour a mouse in full clarity before my camera could even visually spot it. Sometimes I don’t seem to fully grasp how off I see the world with this eyesight. I don’t wear any corrective measures to fix my eyesight.
Once you get used to it seeing distance with one eye and peripheral with another is interesting.
Also I’m high and rambling now, so I’ll go charge my phone and relax. Be back on later once it’s time for another update.

While I’m out of a job taking care of the house and these plants is my job.

The bin below has finally collected runoff. It’s deep in the bin. Only 3 inches deep. The bins have mostly form fit. The lid is keeping them from forming a seal as I do want to allow for runoff.

So the bottom of the bin is definitely submerged in the runoff. I want to test it, but I can’t lift 300lbs.
I’m at anywhere from 1-4% body fat on average. Usually 4% when I eat utill I’m overstuffed 10x a day. I’m hoping these babies get a decent THC-V and CBD profile as massive CBD doses usually keep my weight more stable. I’ll find my perfect strain one day. If not I’ll learn to breed and I’ll craft that strain that helps me gain weight. I’ve been tested and my thyroid is functioning normally. Not hyper or hypo. I did the expensive STD/STI testing a couple years ago to be safe too and it wasn’t anything at all. Completely clean. All kinds of other gross medical tests have been done and nothing explains this fast metabolism. Somehow my stomach digests each 30 minutes on average, so that’s in general just annoying.

All in all cannabis is the only thing that’s ever helped me to maintain a stable weight after my body started to eat itself despite me eating 3 meals a day before food claimed all my time and money just to look like a twink. I get called that a lot by my trans friends. :expressionless: