New grow what's up

Is that lemon balm growing with it?

1 Like

Catnip and lemon balm actually. The lemon balm is chilling by the shamrock. The catnip took over, but it’s keeping pests away by attracting tiny wasps. Hopefully the exterminator didn’t spray those too as I had a bald faced hornets nest above my grow removed yesterday

1 Like

Bald faced hornets are no joke. While I don’t kill any critters I don’t have to, some don’t belong living anywhere near humans or pets. Lemon balm and catnip are fun to grow.

2 Likes

They bring out smells in nearby plants too as an added bonus

1 Like

The lemon balm is always sad for the first year for me. The next year it’s always much better.

The borage tops though

The catnip overgrow.

The photo had to be freed to move it out of the way of the exterminator and now the stem wont be trained back to the same position without possibly snapping the stem. I’ll just let it get tall lol

4 Likes

The photo is developing thrichomes on fan leaves now lol

Now I wait to water again. The whole garden drooped leaves 4 days ago, but must have found more water as 3 days ago they all stopped drooping leaves and looked healthy again. It’s been raining since I watered last 9 days ago, so the soil took time to dry out.

2 Likes

Very malleable tops. It’ll make training a breeze once I start again. The base stem is thiccc and the whole plant is sturdy and not able to be trained back like before anymore. Too woody. I’ll just let it keep getting fatter and taller. If memory serves this is cackleberry. I’m not certain though, so notes once it starts pumping smells will tell
I guess.

The jar of lilith is very frosty. It was a shame to trim off the sugar leaves tbh and I’ll let them become shake later. It smells like mocha with espresso beans used. Heavy coffee nose currently and a background hint of cocoa. Very interesting terpene profile this one has. I wonder where all the fruit smells went lollll

4 Likes

The growth is just getting huge. I’ll have to train them down some to prepare for flower. The plant is already about 3 feet tall now. With the pot it’s around 5 feet off the ground in a 10 foot tall porch area. Time to prep for flower and all branches are trained still. I’ll get them all spread out better before they set in place. Still only presex calyxes on each spot. Just 1 on each side of the plant. Very stae growth despite a led street light on all night giving it light to work with. It may as well be growing in a 24 hours schedule with low light at night. My porch is in fact within reach of the street light cast area. The angled this one slightly to cast on the my apartment too. Likely from repairs. I do live in a ghetto now lol :laughing:

2 Likes

7 Likes

I put a tomato cage around it to help with training lol. I’ll post pictures once I plan out how she’ll be spread apart :laughing:

1 Like

I find tomato cages work very well. They provide support for the main stalk of the plant and provide attaching points to support branches coming through the cage as plants get bigger.

1 Like

This plant i hope has big roots though as I want to dry and grind the roots to a powder for a topical

1 Like

@ReikoX I believe is the one who posted awhile back about this and tbe anti-inflammatory compounds only found in roots.

1 Like

Been a bit since I posted. Thought I’d show progress pics

7 Likes

Slowly training this one with the cage as it grows into it. I also may be mistaken and this could actually be a seed from blue Zkittlez auto x platinum glue og(zeldas seed line) as the original fimming had red sap

5 Likes

She’s just in love with her environment :heart_eyes: already 4 feet tall not counting the pot. Give or a take a few inches. I went litfa mostly this grow. As a side note this plant is as old as the auto was. It toughed out the 1 gallon of soil really well without yellowing, so it seems this seed line also has a strong stress tolerance. It did start some yellowing on lowers finally, but it didn’t spread and seems to be from the soil being too dry at one point. Or the coffee grinds I added helped along with the seedling soil topsoil layer I added. I did that awhile ago now, so it’s possible the nitrogen started to release in the soil again after breaking down. But in reality im just guess as I didn’t really do anything to change it past watering every 2 days or sometimes multiple times a day depending on the soil behavior. Lately it’s been drying to dirt in 2 days, so I may have to go back to every day watering. It’s dry down to the bottom of the pot too. This garden is a thirsty one. The catnip actually wilts constantly after 4 hours post watering.tbe lemon balm too. That tells me the roots on those are small. They may be choked out and I should change up placement of them in the future to promote better root length.

Still only a single calyx per leaf. Whatever the name of the thing people mistake for a calyx is also huge on this plant. It’s actually a bitch to see the calyxes rn as every time I try there’s a strong wind gust shaking the plants like mad. I swear nature has it out for me sometimes lol. I can’t light a lighter outside if it’s to smoke, but when I’m just messing around with my lighter no wind ever. Even if i try to cup my hand around the lighter and burn my palm the wind just goes right around my hand anyways and blows out my Bic. I’ve been opting for mini torches lately to smoke outside :sweat_smile: I’m the type of person that a windproof zippo blows out easily with. :expressionless:

Rant aside though checking for balls on this plant has become easier with the cage though. I could even give it a proper canopy with some careful moving of branches. Some are just strange in my choices though :thinking: I have one pulled completely backwards, but it made a really nice knuckle at the base to compensate. As far as training it though past before the tomato cage I just mostly tacked the branches around it and used zip ties to gently hold them in place. With the wind i get on my porch it needs the cage tbh. That massive stem though :heart_eyes: I’m not complaining about the wind at all. It’s just something new to overcome. The benefits are a strong stem on the plant to hold whatever it ends up producing without issues.

In other news i finally convinced my family to grow with litfa and water. This year they grew monster plants too. They usually baby their plants and just get about an oz a plant. They add silica, calcium, nitrogen, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium amendments separately in some soil recipe they used for their whole career as a landscaper. They soon found that while they can make amazing plants with that recipe the buds suffered from constantly fertilizing the soil and spraying the buds with some organic spray they said is safe to spray on buds(sus). Turns out talking to him was a brick wall. My mother on the other hand wanted to learn what I was telling her and 2 years later they implemented it in their garden in full. They rearranged the garden to have plants in different areas to better companion plant it all. Now it’s a beneficial bug swarm basically year round. They havent dealt with spidermites this year. It saves them a lot of money too as they don’t have to buy bugs for the garden anymore. My sister is enjoying the tiny wasp life cycle at her garden too. She almost got rid of her parasitized tomato horn worms before I told her to keep the ones with growths on their backs. Those ones are effectively zombie worms at that point and will die after the wasps hatch.

4 Likes

They are in preflower now. Just tiny pom poms at the end of every branch. I lost all my happy frog acid loving fertilizer to a rodent who has decided to nest near the grow. Thankfully the tomatoes are what they go after, but sheesh that was a full bag of new fertilizer. I’ll post pictures in a bit. I let it go to drooping before watering again. The stems have gotten ridiculously thick now. Honestly out of necessity as the wind is so strong it violently shakes the tree near my porch.

1 Like

Took me a bit to head back out there. This thing has gotten massive :clap:

5 Likes

So I have a Katydid swarm all around my plant. Each top generally contains 2-4 of them. No leaves or pistils are being eaten, so 🤷 they seem to be helping with pest management actually.

1 Like

So… she’s become a monster. She’s still nameless. I had to get my camera 10 feet off the ground to gwt the entirety of the tops in shot at x1 zoom.

There’s some discoloration on the lowers. I’ll leave it to show me what’s going on and if it needs correction or if it’s just from dehydration and cold combo. Currently nights only get to around 55f where I live. Next city over its in the 40s, so I feel lucky there.

4 Likes