Niben F4 -Anthos Seeds

Meant to start something like this way earlier in the process, but lately even my handwritten journals/logs are all over the place, so I’ll say better late than never.

I got hooked up with Anthos through another local breeder here in VT that I did some graphic design work for. As you can tell from the title, Anthos has bred this cultivar for a while now and it’s primarily been run as an outdoor variety here in the northeast. He sent me the F4 seeds for me to run indoors and report back.

The lineage of Niben as related to me are: Freezeland IBL X God Bud. “Niben” is the Abenaki god of summer, so you get the idea for the name from the cross.

My setup here is a 3x3 veg tent and a 2x2.5 flower tent. The 3x3 has two spider farmer SF1000’s and the flower tent has an HLG 225. I run soil fed with dry amendment top dressings and ACT’s. Trying to be as close to 100% organic as I can be.

I cracked 3 seeds and had one confirmed female early on. The other two are still in veg and I’m like 99% sure they’re male, leaving them to go a little longer to be sure before they get culled out. The one confirmed female got topped late in the game and dropped under a trellis in the flower tent about a week ago. The photos here are what she’s looking like as of today.

19 Likes

Update: been slowly training to fill the canopy as much as possible, trying to balance getting her spread out with not allowing her to get too big for the 5gal bag she’s in. Planned to flip end of this pst week but I started to notice the variegation on the leaves and was worried that it could be the start of a deficiency. Brewed and fed a nitrogen rich compost/nutrient tea on Friday, hoping to see some improvement. Noticed brown spots developing yesterday so beginning to think that it could be a little overwatered. Going to allow for a longer dry down period before the next watering and hope that the combination of all things will help and bring us to the flip ASAP. This will be the last time I attempt to flower a plant bigger than 4 nodes in a 5 gal bag moving forward, always seems to have some kind of issue.

4 Likes

Watered this morning with coconut water. I’m hopeful after a longer dry down period, a nitrogen rich tea, and some cal mag that I’m working my way out of whatever issue was developing, the variegation on the leaves seems to be less extreme. Going to be thinking about flipping to flower soon as I’m sure I’m pushing the capacity of the 5 gal pots that it’s in. Ive got a bit of an

issue though in that I’m going to be out of town for about a week starting around the first of august. I’m debating whether or not to flip the week before and ride out the first week of flower with blumats, or to just wait until I’m back to flip her and just try to keep up with more regular teas and whatnot to address the deficiencies in likely to see through flower by overcrowding the pot size. I’d welcome any thoughts on this if anyone has any. Otherwise I’m just continuing to try to spread the canopy out as much as possible. This cheap ass trellis I had laying around has way too wide of squares though so I’m struggling to get everything properly even. We’re a little bit of a clown car over here but figuring it out. :v:t2:

6 Likes

Should mention: she looks a little sulky in these photos, her pattern is typically to look real bummed out the day of watering, she usually perks up around midday after getting a drink

1 Like

Took this shot around 4pm the same day just to prove that I’m not out here torturing this poor plant :joy:

6 Likes

Couple update photos. Out of town trip fell through so we’re going into flower hopefully Tuesday. I’m waiting on a 1’ extension kit I ordered from Gorilla to show up before I flip. I’m thinking I’ll benefit from the extra height and it’s something I’ve been meaning to get for a while. Canopy is filling in pretty nicely, I want to get things rolling before I start really depleting the soil. I had stacked a top dress of buds and bloom about like a week or so ago, which I’m hoping will just be starting to become available as this things takes off. Really excited to start, I’ll post once it goes down.

2 Likes

Got the height extension kit installed and we’re off to flower. Set the timer to 12/12 last night. I’m trying out running the lights at night for the first time. Hoping to keep temps down, gonna see how I like it/how it agrees (or doesn’t) with my schedule. Unfortunately I realized today that the humidity during the day with the light off will spike to around 60% (around like 45% with the light on) so I’ll be running a dehumidifier in the basement that the tent is in through flowering to keep things on an even keel. Will post again once things start looking interesting :v:t2:

2 Likes

Day 1 of flower is down. Got a good drink of water & coconut water yesterday. Looking really happy today at lights on. Been noticing violet hues in the new growth at some of the flower sites. I’ll try to get photos sometime soon

3 Likes

Couple shots I took last week of the progress, including some macros of the new growth showing that lavender/violet color, really cool. Wrapping up week two this week. Discovered PM on a zucchini plant in my wife’s outdoor garden and noticed it on one of my outdoor plants, so I’ve been on the war path this week spraying every plant on the property with Dr. Zymes on a 3 day regiment to hopefully beat this thing back outside and keep it from jumping to the garden inside. Fingers crossed that I can keep it at bay. I’ll try to get some updates going next week whenever the flower sets really start to show. :v:t2:

7 Likes

Looking good there, and bushing out nicely! I’m thinking I’ll just pull a chair up over here on the side and watch how this goes! lol

1 Like

Welcome! Feels a little like having your stepdad show up at baseball practice, hope I don’t fuck up :joy::joy:

lol I doubt that. from the looks of thing so far! Looking nice indeed…

1 Like

Just a little photo dump here from yesterday. She got some coconut water which she really seems to love. Week two of flower is wrapped officially on this coming Tuesday so I’m planning a good leaf strip once’s she’s done with her stretch. All the best to everyone out there :v:t2::v:t2:

3 Likes

Into week 3 of flower officially today. Sat down and spent probably a good half hour on a major leaf strip to let everything breathe. Bud sets are really starting to pop now, should start getting really interesting in the coming days and weeks. Smells in the tent are really gassy when the zipper is cracked, and very piney and floral when you get your face into the canopy. :v:t2:

6 Likes

Damnit, ordered the photos incorrectly. First and third photos are before, the rest are after the strip if it’s not obvious.

Some detail shots of the newly formed flower sets. Now that things are starting to get interesting I’ll probably start breaking out the camera and tripod to get some more detailed shots.

4 Likes

Been trying to kick this head cold I got from my kid, I’ve had this nagging cough that won’t quit keeping me up all night (not COVID, got tested to be sure) so I figured I’d pull out the TG5 and take some beauty shots of the young flower sets. At some point I’ll do some focus bracketing and edit some shots properly on my computer, just dicking around until then :v:t2::v:t2:

3 Likes

So it’s been a while since I updated, In all honesty it’s because I’ve been fucking up. Around a week ago, (week 4 of flower) I noticed some yellowing, spotting leaves. I immediately assumed overwatering since the week before I had been giving her the standard 2 liters of water sometimes as much as every other day. I decided that she could stand a little more to drink at a time and started giving her 3 liters, then shortly after noticed the leaf issue. I gave her a good long dry down period until she looked real thirsty and then started back up with the 2L watering. It was only after another couple days of not seeing marked improvement that i realized that it was probably a nutrient deficiency due to it being such a large plant in a 5gal pot. I fed a compost tea 3 days ago, and purchased some cold pressed organic fish hydrolysate to hopefully provide some immediately plant available nutrients at the end of this week, but being that this is week 5 I worry that I may have really stunted this poor thing. The buds are frosting up pretty nice but not swelling the way you’d expect them to by now, so I’m expecting yields to be a little less than what they might be otherwise. Luckily I kept a clone of this girl, but I’m a little upset that I made such a dumb mistake, I knew after having to veg the plant so long due to scheduling shit that I might be pushing the limits of the container come flower, so my first thought probably should have been lack of nutrients. All in all, no big deal, and I’m sure I’ll still get some good smoke off this thing, way she goes sometimes. Hoping that the FH will help things along, couple pics of how she’s looking in the meantime :v:t2:

6 Likes

So I got in touch with the breeder to confirm the average flowering time and got a little more insight into the strain in general, probably should have done that ahead of time, but better late than never. He confirmed that it’s typically a 7-8 week strain, and also let me know that she is a real nutrient hog, both points confirm my suspicions. One: the fade hasn’t been mis-timed, she’s reaching the end of her natural cycle and beginning to stop her uptake. And Two: I for sure did not provide her enough nutrients to properly express herself. Knowing this, in addition to the fact that I think I cranked this new-ish light up a little too high too fast, I’m understanding why I haven’t seen her flowers swell and fill in to what I would expect. Basically didn’t put my best foot forward here, but I’ve gained some valuable insight for the next run, and I have to say, the flowers that are here are beautiful in thier own right. Deep earthy scents mixed with heavy, almosted roasted grapes inside the tent, and a very skunky note that you can smell from the top of the basement stairs. And when you squeeze a bud your fingers come away a with a beautifully sticky, greasy resin sheen on them. Basically confirms that this cultivar has a lot of potential to be unlocked. Hopefully the next time I run it I can better stay on top her needs and bring her to a more full expression of herself. The tent still looks beautiful as well, a cavalcade of fall colors. I’m excited to taste this one after the chop and cure, and even more excited to step up to the plate for a second run to see if I can do better. Some shots of what’s going on here for reference, burnt leaf tips and all :joy::v:t2::v:t2:

7 Likes

Ive been a little slack on the updates lately, not very much change recently in terms of size or even a ton more in terms of color, which confirms my suspicions that this gal will likely not yield to its fullest potential, but I’m very happy to report that the smells on this thing have continued to develop. When I open the door to the basement at the top of the stairs the smell is a dank, skunky smell. When cracking the tent there’s surprisingly very little scent register. The real magic comes when I brush past or squeeze a bud. I’m instantly hit with intense grape smells accompanied by a gnarly mentholated vicks vapor rub style overtone to it, it’s super cool. To top that off the resin has the consistency of wet super glue, instantly greases up whatever the buds touch. It’s super rad. While I’m a little bummed that I wasn’t able to showcase what this cultivar can really yield, I’m really big on flavor and effect, so I’m excited by the promising signs I’m seeing in those departments. Below are some shots of what things are looking like, great color to the fade!

11 Likes