Northern Sativa/NLD Search at 53°N - Spiritual Herb

I wouldnt get too excited about beldia. It takes a very large selection.

2 Likes

isn’t that the case with most lines to find exceptional plants to work with? can you specify what you mean by large?

Even more so because there are mixed ratio cbd and thc plants but yeah theyre not as resistant to stuff as was implied in the description. I had a 5 pack and shouldve had atleast 20 to find something more resistant. Not too happy with it as I had the same plans to cut down times while not having to deal with ruderalis. At least I will have hundreds if not thousands of seeds to go through soon. The good thing is that they hardly smell at all so would be great for guerrilla growing or even just in backyard where you dont want neighbors to get a whiff.

Not as drought tolerant
Not as spider mite resistant
Not as thrips resistant

As I had thought.

5 Likes

i just read that Nomad seedbank also says their ABC finishes september August outdoors… And this Seedbank sells various Landraces wich indicates a certain Class and Knowledge… confusing

Just cut the ciskey from tropical seeds co 2 days ago at 47N.

Following @Upstate rule of 2-3 days per latitude degree, that’d make it end something like end of October early November at 53N.

Don’t know how that’d work. No sign of any mold despite the bad weather since 10-15 days, but she was in a greenhouse. The sativa that is aside her is starting to show PM signs though.

Pungent intoxicating smell, quite frosty, looking forward trying her. :smiley:

4 Likes

My ABC finished here in NY. I recall October as the harvest month. Mid October. Lovely strawberry smell. These can get big growing in the ground.
@funkyfunk any harvest pics? The ciskei went longer than I expected in the end, but she finished properly, yes? . Can’t wait to hear your smoke report!

3 Likes

Sadly I forgot the camera when I got there harvesting. I’ll try to have one when it will be trimming time. Would have expected at bit earlier too. She threw a lot of mid size sativa colas, probably a bit less than two pounds of it despite a hard life at the end. Showed a bit of purple on the leaves with the cold. Very robust and vigorous, had to constantly bend the numerous branches, otherwise they’ll reach the 10 feet high roof of the greenhouse. Each one of them is higher than me. Smell is incredible. :smiley:

5 Likes

Will share pics later on, but my Queen Mother Sativa grew massive and had NO PROBLEMS with the Southern Ontario Fuckery this season and only got taken down around Oct 15th.

GROWING IT AGAIN NEXT YEAR! The Smoke is spicy and you get really productive, really fast!

:v:

8 Likes

What are the scens/aromas like?

1 Like

The pictures look epic on the Queen Mother, i have been enjoying it vicariously ^ ^

Was difficult to nail and I could not spend much time with her (just enough to cut and hang), since I was all day in trim jail with two other plants. :smiley:

I’ll report when I’ll meet her again.

1 Like

Nice one on the two pound harvest, and that it smells incredible, you vape a quick dynavap of handrub when you were hanging it to sample? :wink:

End Oct is cut off point here so it should work, the purpling may be a hardyness sign. Good to hear there’s vigour too,

Just in from taking down a UELx OHz and some Mountain Gold, had a vape of the Oaxacan leaning MG charas, holy fuck it’s good, soaring here. It’s a nighttime visit spot and no flash photos, will get some shots together at the dry trimmed stage.

Excited to try the UELxOHz next, it’s oozing hazyness, aromas of great potential. Very little trimming here too, and barely a spec of mould. Not great against septoria - think its the UEL side.

UELxPurple Satellite turned out stellar - (late Sept) - up to a month earlier than PS, in the large dense flower league. More potent than PS, in a good way. The Nepbaglung and Oaxacan segregate like they’re at F2 via the UEL hybrid. Some of the baglung leaners are trippy and sedating in a warm pleasant way, Oaxacan leaners less sedating. Good septoria resiatance, not great with bud mould, but it was a relentlessly wet end Sept.
I think UELxMountain Gold will be awesome.

The narrowleaf Mextiza S1 turned out to be early - 10th Oct, interesting acrid/chlorine aromas, large calyx and trichomes, none of the lemonyness I’ve come across in other Mextiza S1. High is very nice so far, functional and not crazy intense, but tolerance is high again at the moment. It made some ripe seeds from UEL and UELxPurpleSatellite
Her sister has yet to some down - much more lemony, but tiny on yield in comparison.

@Arnold 's UELsativa x Mextiza fem came down early Oct, its an energising daytime vape, all high notes, citrus orange/lemon/conifer/ love this one.

The selection pressures on the UEL plot ended up with only 2 females and 2 males (out of 192), the high on #1 is much cleaner than #2 but #2 is of merit also.

Interestingly @Hyp3 's Verde Limon is budding away strongly, still another 2 weeks to go at least. It certainly seems to have the cold tolerance to bud and resin up properly, very dense for late Oct. They are some of the most septoria resistant of the plot this year also, and looking good against bud mould so far, I wonder what they vape like… not very lemony smelling at the mo.

@Pigeonman have been checking out your grow, they went well, a nice reward for the work. Spicy sounds good! You make any seeds on her?

You like the effect of the ABC @Upstate ?

5 Likes

Thanks @bonghopper for the love! I wish I did. Next year I’m growing and cloning and will sts at sometime unless there’s a male in the initial seeds grown out for the outdoor stock. Male jail with pollen collection if there is a male. :+1:

2 Likes

Nice to hear you were able to get a good variety of heavy NLD leaning buds in @bonghopper ! Despite our Northern context and bad weather.

Very curious what your smoke conclusions will be at the end of winter.

Great to see a gamble with the Mountain Gold play out well for you, especially curious if the smoke testing will hold true for that one.

4 Likes

Didn’t you have an older Ciskei release? Any more beans? Sounds epic. I have some seeds from a member here, but I don’t know if something has changed in the strain or not. Yours looks like a pure Sativa. What kind of smell?
@Pigeonman I’m looking forward to seeing pictures. Does she require a cure?

2 Likes

Here y’all go!

Sneak peek:

More linked below!

The smoke the very next day after was was fantastic! So I’m hoping the cure makes it ever better!

:partying_face:

6 Likes

Yeah they are 10 years old something like that. Only have 2 beans left, hopefully they’ll be male and female :smiley: Smell was hard to describe and I did not spend much time with it, I will report when I’ll meet her again, she’s far from home atm.

@Pigeonman was waiting for this shots! I should have been less lazy and search in your thread. :smiley: She’s a beauty. I bet the high is very good, it had that reputation over here.

1 Like

I found a nice plant in a 12 pack the first time, and the second time I found 3. The trick is finding one that is thc dominant and breeding her offspring to fix the trait. Will take a few years. I took a Beldia break this summer, but will try again soon. There’s good potential.
Recently, I befriended a Moroccan man from Fez, South of the Riff. He has offered to take me there, and has already talked to family members that grow the old Beldia about sending me seed, which they agreed to do as well. He explained to me that there are 3 Moroccan strains. The old Beldia Sativa is one. It tops out at 6 feet
There is also an old Lebanese style plant, that grows short and stocky, often under 3 feet. I was led to believe thru my reading that these plants should have Pakistani influence. They don’t, according to him. He said they are a very old Moroccan genepool. He then asked me what desert plants normally look like, and i replied and told him they should be short, to maintain all the water they can, with thick foliage to shade the ground and protect the buds. " exactly", he replied. There is a taller lanky ancient sativa cultivated for ganja smoking ( mostly in home gardens today), and also an ancient shorter line used for commercial production.
Then there is a 3rd type farmed. This one is the most common today. It’s been mixed with Afghan to satisfy the modern European market. I don’t remember the name, but it’s similar to Beldia. I’ll find out.

5 Likes

I started over drying some of my plants so they do not cure. I swear some of them are less potent afterwards. Maybe even half of them. Speaking of Landraces here of course…but Queen Mother is similar. My rule now is that if I really enjoy the effect when it’s fresh dry, I will freeze some to keep it that way…just in case.

5 Likes

That’s an interesting it, will have to test/try that.

1 Like