Old School Breeders Association - Garlic Bud

I am embarrassed by my short, pale and columnar garlic bud females but I can tell the genetics are good. I have had a number of issues this summer:

This is my first real attempt at outdoor growing.

I live in a terrible climate for growing anything(at the moment) except grass hay. I live at 5888’ elevation close to the continental divide. I freezes every month of the year here. It is difficult to grow alfalfa here, no joke.

We had an especially cold wet spring and summer.

We are having an epic mouse infestation and they have done an immense amount of damage to my plants. They ate the tops off of a bunch of tiny seediings, ate the bark of the stems of some larger plants and killed them, caused shitloads of root damage and they ate the bottom branches of my untopped garlic bud plants. Thankfully they have not sustained a preference for the garlic bud now that it’s more mature. They are avoiding it completely now.

I think that my native soil was far less fertile than i hoped. I wish I would have grown them in 25 gallon pots filled with the organic mix I make.

They all have big wide blade leaves that remind me of afghani plants and hybrids I have seen. I took clones and I am planning on making some seeds. I don’t know what I am doing making seeds either but if anyone would like to try them when they finish please send me a DM.I even have enough faith in the genetics that I can ant to make some crosses because I know it has good resistance to frost and because of the high praise you have for it @GregOG.

I have another problem that I think will be a part of a much larger solution: I am tired of being harassed by my neighbors and unlawfully raided by the local feelings enforcement officers so I sued those assholes for violating my civil rights and I am in Garberville CA right now getting ready to go look at a really nice house on 45 acres that I think I can actually afford. I think that move should solve several of the issues I experienced this year!
All that being said I look forward to seeing what you do with your different phenos and crosses of it and I would love to do some more trading down the road if possible.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience about these genetics!

8 Likes

A honest review and thanks for sharing that.
One thing Garlic bud loved when it’s starting, is heat. 90 to 95 in veg will make it take off.

I’ve been battling mice too eating my plants. First year I ever had this problem with mice.

Set traps and get them gone. They will destroy good seedlings and can even take down 6 inch plants. They just chew them in half.

When Garlic bud is dragging, it is early cold, even indoor temps don’t get Garlic bud excited.

Top and prune is highly recommended for Garlic bud. It loves it and I didn’t have branches break with many mains.

You can dig it up and bring it inside so you can increase heat. I dig up plants all the time. Garlic bud is super tough and can be moved if there is an issue outdoors.

Are you getting Garlic on the rub?

6 Likes

Males were rare to get that many , that’s a nice selection of males.

Glad you got them going. The stem rub is aroma therapy, lol

Especially when the bud is packing on. There’s like 3 smells , Garlic, Onion and the sweetest candy smell you’ll ever smell.

The Gar when I was drying it was pure garlic, I get excited most for that candy smell and the Skunky one.
Garlic is bad ass too. The most intriguing feature of Garlic bud was its flypaper goo, I swear it grabbed my finger before I touch it , those are the killer phenotypes, you’ll know as soon as you touch it, this is extremely thick sticky trichomes.
Dried/Cured bud pic.
39516 39518

14 Likes

No deceitful long trich stalks there
All heads , realllllll nice : )

3 Likes

Actually your teaching Garlic bud a new way to grow @Bugsandnugs
You’re gonna succeed, where we are not, I’m very enthused to see you train Garlic bud to thrive in your environment.

In the Ozarks it can get bud damage at harvest overnight. Doesn’t mean it’s bad. Its my environment and every year I grow them, they become more stabilized in high humidity and normal humidity.

Takes very good genetics to survive Missouri weather.
All plants do great in veg growth. The average humidity at harvest here is above the threshold… This applies for food plants as well. Once the plants are bred here. Those seeds will grow great in all 50 states

California, New Mexico seeds won’t grow in 50 states outdoors like Missouri seeds can. My buddy has lived in California, the East coast too. When he started growing in Missouri he saw for himself the power of Missouri grown seeds.

Colombian has a average 70% humidity. Environment means everything in growing and breeding projects.

Pic Hawaiian Sativa grown in the Ozark highlands

8 Likes

What a grow cycle !!! another month you could “climb” that tree

2 Likes

Forgot to mention, dry the fan leaves. Then smoke it.
Many people get baked from the leaves.

Good weed, the leaves will get you stoned. Both the 90 Garlic bud and OSBA has the potent fan leaves.
People freak when you tell them their smoking leaves.
They can’t belive it, I couldn’t either when I discovered it in 1991 when growing it… That’s the year I had the seeds to grow it. Smoked it October 1990 first time.

It was not cold resistant in 91, D worked the Nevil line in Canada and why it has become a better cold resistant than 89 Garlic bud did.

They are F3 now, you’ll see runts and you’ll see big plants. I’m probably gonna run Garlic bud seeds you got soon. :100::dove:

8 Likes

Before prohibition, kentucky, missouri, and illinois were the largest producers of hemp in the country, if not the planet :wink:

Loving all the garlic bud info! Don’t mind me being a sponge over here in the corner

5 Likes

I would say there is nothing sweet about the only female I have from half a pack.

All the males were beautiful and stinky as males usually are.

I’m hitting her with an 81 skunk (afghani hindu kush) and keeping clones alive till she is ripe :grinning:

Thanks for sharing

mm

4 Likes

I almost thought Garlic Bud was feminized , last seeds I popped was 99% females. The F3 definitely puts out males more than F2s… in reality that’s a real opportunity to examine the male Bud structure, trichomes and smell.

I tested a few males and turned them female on 2 strains this year. Males are very important in breeding projects. I usually pick giant females for breeding,
If there’s no giant female then the males go elsewhere into other strains.

One male i won’t attempt to breed it, i have to have male sekections :dove:.

I have more males than females right now,

When it buds up, the sweet candy should be there. And it’s incredible it’s candy smell.
Even if it was Garlic hashy in veg.

6 Likes

I’m excited to harvest the Garlic Bud x Heirloom Afghani. Important to find a skunky Afghani.
Especially since one of the phenotypes of GB is full RKS in cure.

All my females had the Afghani smell. After several males to pick from I got lucky and found the Skunky male I’ve been looking for for years.

The Skunky Heirloom Afghani Male clone
I have 2 HA males for breeding projects.

I topped the right one and used that for the Garlic bud female F2. Both Garlic bud and Afghani looked identical. I hit Copalita Village Oaxacan, (Mexican death sativa x Hoper Valley Gilgit) and Tajikistan.

I’ll be crossing more strains with the Male Afghani soon. I tossed the male on the left. I back cut males so I can keep the tap root males for breeding , and I make clones in case my tap root males would die.

Here’s the CVO I used,. I went through 60 seeds to find her.

15 Likes

Very nice !

9 Likes

It would be an understatement to say that I am interested in the CVO. That is stunning!

2 Likes

My biggest of the three female garlic bud is putting out pink pistils. I have a few other strains with pink pistols and I am loving it!

7 Likes

6 Likes

After a lot of vaping Garlic Kush (afghan descendant) live resin, it did start to seem harsh on my throat. It is right in between tahoe og and kosher kush so i could just pick one of those really. For a very similar Garlic Flavor that isnt as harsh, I’ve recently tried Modified Mintz and it was easier on my throat but definitely not as OG like more chem.

2 Likes

Yep that’s looking like Garlic bud bushy stricture pink pistils, that’s awesome. The flypaper sticky should be coming. It’s all sticky, but some are glazed sticky lol

4 Likes

I made an account on overgrow, and I’ve made only a greeting post thus far, but still felt compelled to come here and share my experience. A couple few years ago I bought purple death bubba fems from OSBA, and at the time I read a lot of mixed things. Drama, scamming, infighting, bunk seeds, great seeds, conflicting reports etc.

I have only my small tent, and desperately wanted some death bubba fems. Got the purple DB from old school BA and grew it out. First plant was and still is the best bud/smoke I’ve ever had. The buds were solid rocks, and shaped like smooth turds after a trim, for lack of better words. They were dark green and brown, and had a nose stinging earthy/cocoa burnt vacuum cleaner smell in the jar, and the smoke made a room smell like dog poop. Brutal body high, physical incapability to do much at all, whole body would vibrate for an hour before getting so tired your eyelids started to shut.

I grew 2 more plants following that grow, and the other 2 plants, while not that one, were still better than most other strains I’ve grown. I’ve grown from a few different reputable breeders, and OSBA still holds the spot for best bud I’ve had. I’ll try and attach a couple pics of the plant I’m discussing. It may not look like much, but it was as described. Better than top shelf dispensary stuff by a mile.

Here was the first plant

Other PDB plants

14 Likes

Great review, I’ve definitely wanted a few strains from OSBA , I think he’s got a lot of his strains unlisted and only the mailers have the full list.

I’ll have to find the list and post it. He’s got a new 2023 elite strains too. SFV OG was one of them

3 Likes

Beans landed more to come …

12 Likes