Old School Breeders Association - Garlic Bud

very interesting information! thanks for sharing!
Did I understand you correctly, is the Friesland Indica x K-Dank currently being sold sssc a descendant of M33?
I’m currently growing a Friesland Indica from sssc and it has a very indica structure, but I haven’t been able to find the genetics (including what K-Dank is).

2 Likes

Karel’s Dank = K Dank

heers
G

2 Likes

thank you…
It is strange that I did not navigate myself.
:flushed:

It has been a very cold and wet start to summer but the last few days have been nice. I still have not seen 80 degrees yet so my outside plants have been growing so slow. These are looking really cool, they have the thickest stems I have seen on plants that small. I have high hopes for these!

7 Likes

10 Likes

Loving this thread.
Here is a old school Afghani I’mworkingon now.

I’ll be popping PNW HP soon. I’m growing some PNW HP x Puck BC1 for my Male Heirloom Afghani.

Working up another clone of the last F2 Garlic bud in existence, can’t wait to see the F3 generation. There exist a phenotype that finishes in 4 week. I had one, I thought it was a myth until I harvested one Aug 31. Super tripping. Cure into full Skunk big time. Couldn’t taste Skunk but a bud broke up was appreciated for its Skunk smell.

Garlic bud is Jim Ortega’s Skunk plants.
They were the Garlic phenotypes. You will smell skunk at peak harvest on phenotypes

19 Likes

Sorry for the abandonment on social media this year.
I’ve had to help a few addicts, it’s taking all my time. It’s been crazy, high stress and evil trying to get them off fentanyl/meth.

I’m still raising the F2 Garlic bud female clone line. I’ve backcrossed Heirloom Afghani into Garlic bud eecently and I’m looking forward to these seeds.

If it turns out as expected, I’ll be making F1 seeds with the parents. The Afghani male has a Skunk smell. None of the females carried the Skunk. But the Afghani smell in the females is old school Afghani.
Very frosty coverage.

Garlic bud and Afghani looks very similar when side by side.

Garlic bud was pure Afghani with a touch of sativa.

Shiva Shanti was Garlic bud x Kush x SK1

Not sure on Shiva Shanti II version

That’s what I recall it being from memory.

I’ve got Garlic bud x PCK seeds done.
So the Garlic bud backcrossed with a Male Afghani gives me some F1 prospects.

It’s cool knowing Heirloom Afghani is backcrossed into the GB F2 line. I’ll be growing them right away for a bud harvest. Then I’ll breed a bunch together for a strong F1 generation from the clone sets, to release publicly. 2nd week seeds forming.here. It looks to have taken no problem. :100::dove:

20 Likes

I only got 3 females out of 11 seeds and the females are just showing sex.I have clones and I am definitely going to make seeds and try them indoors this winter and beyond. I have a good feeling about this strain.

12 Likes

Is that the Garlic bud?

2 Likes

Here are the F2 Garlic bud first sets. I used worm manure tea and a bit of banana tea.

7 Likes

Crossed to Hawaiian Sativa, a blood phenotype it did this.

I sent these seeds out as extras in the auction. Some of you may have the HG seeds.

14 foot the center in late August. It’s still stretching. :dove:

12 Likes

Yes sir that is garlic bud

2 Likes

Nice!! Can’t wait to see how it goes. :dove:

1 Like

Interesting thread, except for the soap opera interludes, lol. My bullshit detector was flashing.

I, too, was wondering about Old School Genetics, seems the consensus is they’re legit, but a sketchy history? I’ve long wanted to try Reeferman genetics, but they’ve been generally unavailable for a long time. Also, the online consensus of Reeferman has long been he’s a gigantic douche. I’m not saying he is, just what I’ve read around breeders forums. I suppose it’s possible to be an a hole, yet still be a great breeder. Arjan at Greenhouse also has that rep, yet everything I’ve grown from Greenhouse has been solid as a rock.

Old School also has really sketchy reviews, because OF Reeferman, but also some who are very impressed with their gear. I am old school, so may give them a try. Love Jamaican genes.

5 Likes

some feel legit but, i found some strains to look… meh… one of the bad looking ones was jamaican.

5 Likes

I’m not an authority on the matter so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I understand they once had a partnership with reeferman that went south. iirc osba accused reeferman of ripping them off of cash, so they kept the genetics as retaliation, and reeferman has claimed he never worked with OSBA, but apparently he has earlier forum posts that contradict that. There’s a few people who have tried their gear and had good reviews, @romanoweed and @GregOG for a few examples

7 Likes

OSBA sent me freebies recently his two winning cup strains. Early purple kush x black willie. I’m gonna work them up soon.

The Garlic bud was for me to have, OSBA was the middle man so to speak. I really wanted the last Garlic bud F2 seeds. I told him to not send them and him breed them up. A gift for him. He sent me to ask for them from the person who had them

Long story short, he asked me to get them sent to him.
The person said send them to me., could you imagine how upset that was to OSBA lol

So I said get the F3 going with them. I could of kept them for myself and me bred them and made money I’m sure. But as honor to him sending me to Nevil’s best friend who had them, I couldn’t take them In good conscience.

I can’t thank Nevil’s best buddy for telling OSBA I get them. But for the sake of him asking me to get them, for him, I let him keep and bred them up for his legacy.

I’ve just crossed a rare skunky Heirloom Afghani male into the Garlic bud F2 line. It’s first BX. I’m gonna stay on this project for a while.
There is a phenotype that finishes in 30 days, August 31st I pulled one. Many take up to 8 weeks.

Then the rare Gar I call it. It throws out huge buds. My phone broke and I have to get my photos back in this phone. Pink pistil plants, White pistils plants. It has many different highs to at each trichome stage.
Half cloudy half clear being the first harvest.

Very racing high, can solve world problems as you walk across rooms. But why you was standing there unknown to you lolol spicy taste
It kept happening, 5 times doing that till I realized why I walked there to get what I needed.

Cloudy trichomes had great taste, great high with an audio psychedelic right away, Cured into a nice loud RKS, no Skunk on taste, hashy like. My favorite stage.
2 joints is was couchlock

Amber it’s a thicker smoke, less taste, no audio psychedelic.

I had the origina GBl in 1990, I even grew it back then.
This was early flowering of the Gar. This is the one you want. Sticky like flypaper, like many, but purest garlic smell there was. And a 30 day flush testing flushing outdoors. It was the smoothest smoke I ever smoked.
I mean super smooth. But i don’t flush, I just wanted to test flushing.
Everyone said 7 to 14. So I deep flushed the last 4 weeks on the Gar. Twice what everyone else was doing.
I like my soil dry at harvest. And mostly I harvest at 4:20 am now a days. Cold room 55 degrees open dry whole plants. 2 to 3 months like that in a dark dry room. Room is not powered so I have Temps raise a bit during the day. It makes killer smoke. Plants remain sticky as new, I can pick a bud from the plant and roll it right away after 3 months, even though it’s not dry and still feels wet and sticky like it was just harvested recently.

You’d be surprised how well it works to improve the smoke. Nevil let plants hang for 12 months drying and curing in the dark in his routine.

It will take a grass tasting plant and make it way better and taste good in that cold open dry cure method.
Plus it hits you better. Slow burning too, a few hits and you’re feeling it.

19 Likes

Garlic bud loved hot dry air. It was 110 here, under a 1000 watt Metal Halide. In my barn.

Tested a small plant outside in the cold a long time. By the time it got to 23 degrees it was still going.

Then day after was 22 . That made it droop.
What a fun ride it was exploring Garlic bud.

10 Likes

I would repro the Tajik for the Gar for sure :+1:

1 Like

I got 1 fem out of 5 beans.

None the less she is a reeker. Looks like a pure ghani with 0 “sativa”

Taking cuts soon to keep alive until harvest time

mm

3 Likes