Panama Red strain ----which would you grow

Amazed they’re still going tbh. Hope yours stay the course. Very hardy. One also bled deep purple sap but they’re still super dark green.

2 Likes

That cross sounds killer @Mestizo hope they make it for you good luck on taking cuts

2 Likes

Here you go my friend. Malawi x Panama from Ace at 13 weeks. I will take her to 16 weeks.

Smells and tastes like Green Mango peels. Early taste buds were picked at 12 weeks. A quick 10 day dry is enough to take me back to the Caribbean. It is very potent. You fligh high for the first hour and a half and then you slowly settle into a gliding or “volando bajito” phase where you are still high but you can dwell on thoughts while multi-tasking without getting stressed or feeling like you are mentally all over the place.

Definately worth growing some more beans and to do it without neglect.

10 Likes

Its hard to find good Panama

The line Snow, Kagyu, and ACE use have a lot of CBD, coming from the indica in there. Granted, there is still some NLD trees to be found in there, but it all brings up the question of how much CBD was in old Panama Red, being that it was known for red, heavy eyes and a narcotic stone.

The best Panamas Ive had were Panama Black and Panama Gold from Kaiki via doc D.
The P Black was Panama x Black Haze, and as far as I know the P Gold was pure.
Panama Black x Cherry Cake put out the narrowest leaves Ive yet encountered.

Are those old Panamas from Kaiki and BCO still around?

9 Likes

I did take a few BUT don’t know how transfer from phone to computer - top bud is 2 "beer’ cans long with 4 weeks to go !!!

2 Likes

Bless. Thank you.

What was the Panama gold like? Can you describe the scents/aromas? Flowering time presumably 16-20 weeks? how about the smoke taste and effects?

1 Like

I tried looking for old posts on Icmag and breedbay, but cant find them.
Sorry.
It sucks how much was lost when breedbay and icmag switched over.

3 Likes

I have yet to see a picture of what people call Panama Red that resembled the Panama red we grew back in the 70s and 80s.

Panama Red was a strong sativa that grew Red flowers.

A close school friend loved Panama Red all he grew i thought it was a good line but i preferred to grow and smoke Thais.

4 Likes

Maybe these?

JGL and Raco:

Charlie/Kaiki:
https://www.icmag.com/threads/panama.205180/

RC Colas:

Dubi:

2 Likes

The Charlie line

The P Black had Haze, which I liked and was more peppery and spicy. The P Gold was more woody and incense. Gold was more clear headed and Black was more of a daywrecker.

9 Likes

Late 70’s? @Who Used to come on OG, but we don’t see him anymore. (I really wanted to share Oaxaca with him. If you read this buddy, hit me up. )
He also spoke of Red buds, but I had assumed age or the drying process added the red tones. The flowers were red while growing? Not just red hairs at harvest time?
I think this canal zone area may have been a zone of hybridization…so that Panama Red was in a constant state of metamorphosis. Depending on what years you experienced it. From what I’ve narrowed down, by around 78/ 79 it was red buds, but not earlier.
That cbd content says South Asian…@Wuachuma I think Kandahar was thrown in the mix at one time. The purple/ black variants are what became Colombian Black and the Red ones contributed to Panama Red coloration. Kandahar is the one landrace with red and black plants.
This may have been done by Parke Davis Pharmaceuticals during the early 1900’s, adding a slew of old hybrid heirlooms to the already richly diverse South American genepool.

10 Likes

The Panama Red flower was Red very early into flower the rest of the plant was green.

2 Likes

What year?

1 Like

I dont know when they first arived here and were first grown here but i first saw them in late 70s and into the mid to late 80s all a mate grew.

There were a few Red flower lines here you had the Panama Red but you also had the Colombian Red and the Kalamata Red.

The old lines were all we grew back then and i expected to see most if not all still being grown when i logged onto the boards years ago but was shocked to see they were not.

2 Likes

Seems like another round of hybridization occurred late 70’s. :thinking: do you recall whether it flowered quickly or slowly?

the panama red that alt sol sells in wv is almost identical to what i recall about panama red from the late '80s/early '90s. it’s what got me to try it as my first “legal” strain.

2 Likes

your panama red looked like this:

really?

real close. a little less purple and tighter buds but pretty damned close. they need to fix their packaging issues so i can stop moistening it when i buy it. well, until my first harvest anyway. then they can do whatever. we already stopped buying the panama red because it’s too harsh. hell’s og was our go to, then fuel biscuit, but the hell’s og started getting harsh also and dry. i wish they would put the packets in like some do.

1 Like

The PR had a long flower, they were true breeding.

1 Like