Ready to harvest? Post your pics and get advice 🌸

And question for you guys; what’s the best thing you’ve come across for taking pictures or at least viewing (assessing or analyzing ripeness/trichomes). Specifically while on the plant (not having to cut off a sample)?

This is a usb microscope. It’s very hard to hold it still, at the right distance, and rotate the focus ring with one hand, while holding the phone in the other hand. And it’s not possible to press the “take picture” button because I only have two hands. So I take video, and then view it on pc later. These are still/snapshots from the video.
I thought I read a post here recently where someone was taking very nice photos and they mentioned an attachment or something (for a phone, I think). With this usb scope, it also only seems to focus on one area within the frame, and the rest is blurry. Anything better?

@BigF @JoeCrowe

10 Likes

I use a compound microscope so I cut off an auxiliary calyx and put that on the stage. Stability is achieved through nothing moving. The thing is the focal point of the image is limited unless you use image stacking.

The image stacking I use generates a few artifacts. It’s quick and easy though!

5 Likes

USB microscopes are best on a tripod for stability, and a ‘free hand’.
It’s always ‘fiddly’ setting up a shot but as you see, you can get good results. Lighting is something I need to work on.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I am doing the same dance, trying to stretch a finger to the capture button and hoping I didn’t budge even a millimeter. Low keeper rate, like 1 in 5 on a good day.

1 Like

Really comes down to what the cultivator wants
to get real high _ harvest when all are milky
lay back - harvest when over 50% are amber
generally most harvest when there is a 10% amber 80% milky 10% clear _ up to you !!!

1 Like

I’ve heard this, but it just doesn’t always apply. I’ve let a 55 day go 75 and the trichomes did not amber. It does not seem like a good metric for all varieties. Now, it could also be something the cultivator did in growing them(?). I don’t know.

2 Likes

True that… :arrow_heading_up:

So what strain refused to amber?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Mango Saphire by HSO.

1 Like

Interesting, that’s a bunch of OG Kush derivatives… Some random Afghans and Big Bud.
…I would have guessed ‘none of the above’… :grin:

That could be an interesting trait to capture…

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I didn’t see any amber on the GOG delta plant at day 85, instead it was resin all over the place. That was before I even knew what that meant.

You can see missing trichome caps also deflated ones.

Look at how the resin is gooing out here. The trichome life cycle is at an end.

5 Likes

So what do you shoot for, ratio wise?

Cheers
G

1 Like

Ratio? What are we talking about?

1 Like

clear/cloudy/amber

I’m guessing not too much amber for your flash frozen supplies…

Cheers
G

1 Like

Ohhh! Well I used to go with 40% amber. I don’t use that method anymore! I’m not sure how to say this but those instructions were based on images of a leaf instead of a calyx. That’s the kind of shit I used to do as well. That all changed after I started looking at the calyx that had been on the plant from veg to the end of bloom. I’ve never analyzed a leaf since.
I changed over in 5/6/2021 according to the log.

3 Likes

Yea ! how true – at least one can get some idea when they want to harvest — trichome color is when the plant is telling you that harvest time is near

2 Likes

what was mentioned i just a point to start - to give a person some starting place Harvest is a PERSONAL thing in relation to what they want/like

Any thoughts on this Amnesia Haze? I’m seeing clear and amber but not a lot of cloudy so I’m kind of thrown off.

Pics are a few days old, today is day 77. Thinking of chopping tomorrow.

8 Likes

Maybe wait another week until the majority of the trichomes are cloudy.

2 Likes

Trichs still look like a fresh haricut, organized and mostly pointing the same direction. Heads looks clear. When the trichs start looking disorganized kind of all flopping different directions, with many heads resting on bent necks, they are getting close or ready.
I went with just trich color for a long time to determine maturity, but am getting notably better results paying more attention to the condition of the trichs, especially the heads. I still look at the color, but treat it as a secondary factor.I
Edits: autocorrect on this tablet is batshit

3 Likes

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I will let her go another week or two and see how she looks. :v: :peace_symbol: