Seedlings with burnt & curled leaves

Yeah I’ll take a few pics and put them up. The only ones I’m worried about are the two in 4 inch Pots, they might be bound…But I’ll post em, not sure if it will be tonight but if not tomorrow.

2 Likes

@George … I’d like to see the roots too. That’s why I like to start in plastic containers. If I feel the need I can dump the plant out and take a look at the roots. See what’s going on. I know a lot of people think you shouldn’t do things like that but if yr quick about it, and conscious of things like sunlight and wind, I don’t think it harms them.

2 Likes

When I grew a long time ago all we had were clones, so seeds and getting them going is foreign. I thought in theory Jiffy Pots were good, just due to the fact of less transplant shock. Now I’m going to have to research it again…

I do see a lot of solo cups, is that what most peps use to start seeds? @Upstate

Yes, I also noticed in the mini cup contest that people uses a transparent glass and then puts another one with solid colour so the light doesn’t affect the roots.

Then, if they want to see the roots they take out the first one. This kind of tips makes double enjoyable this site, you never know what you’re missing … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I use Aerogarden Harvesr (hydroponic) for germination, that way I forget about feeding them and they grow fast and healthier … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Now, if you are going with the black gold soil. Do not add more nutes for 3 weeks! There are enough minerals in the new soil. As far as water, all I know is when I have messed with the ph in my soil plants they got all jacked up. I simply leave my tap water sitting for a day for the chlorine to evap. My tap water is crazy acidic and the soil still buffers it. I have had zero ph lockout doing this. If you do add spring water, ro water or any non tap water, you need to add Cal/Mag. Remember this… the filtering removes it, so it must be added back. It’s already there in tap water. FYI… I have transplanted all of the numerous autos I’ve grown at around the age yours are now and have never had an issue. Your’s however may have been stunted by this initial hiccup… you won’t know until they grow out. I would be surprised if they are already throwing pistils though, it seems too soon, but I really never counted the weeks.

2 Likes

Just got another email from nute company…I can’t make heads or tells of this. One part says DWC has issues another part says to use soilless. :confounded:

Lmao, ummm…Here it is.

Just had a conversation with our CEO because I don’t want to leave you hanging at all but he said that he has no doubt that you will see completely different results by growing in soilless grow medium. In fact, he told me that the majority of the time when a grower is having issues with plants, it has been his experience that they were growing in a DWC setting. Again, we greatly appreciate your business and I look forward to helping you as much as I can in regards to Dakine 420 nutrients. To answer your previous question, I asked one of our sales guys who actually grew up in the Emerald Triangle area of California and he recommended that you look into an “Ebb and Flow” type system but he wasn’t certain on the brands that offer them. Said there are some that work with soilless grow medium. Group consensus though is that “Drain to Waste” method will give you the best results. Hope this helps.
@George @Meesh @Upstate

Ya know what it’s not worth all this time and trouble, plus the time y’all put into helping me. I’m going to repot what I can in SOIL and add water and forget this nightmare ever happened.

How in the hell did I grow several dozen runs of 36 each which turned out pretty damn dank, when I was stoned, high, drunk I’ll never know. I should have been in class and I wouldn’t be workin so damn hard now.

Going to finish this run and hope the gods will reward me with a few nugs and I will be ok.
The Tent will go up, steam clean the carpet, hell it needs it anyway and start over proper. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Every bag of coco I’ve used had a lot of salt, sand and other debris.
I do a double soak and rinse with all my coco now.
Seeing those jiffy pots(they look too dry to me} make me ask are you gonna plant them directly in your soil, pot and all?
I’ve had a few issues with those things.
First, they have to be buried completely or any exposed peat will wick away the moisture in the soil inside those pots.
Second, trying to tear them off will damage roots as they grow into them.
Third, I’ve found it beneficial to score(looks like you’ve done that) the outsides with a sharp blade and soak them awhile in rain water before burying them completely. This will speed up the root’s progress through to the surrounding soil.

The pics look like nute burn to me, never see much of that in seedlings though.
You also mentioned having old soil in a bag. Lots of nasties can grow inside plastic bags.
One thing from TLO by the Rev that paid for the cost was his mixing soils and nutes and let them cook for a few weeks before use. Practically eliminates any chance of “hot” soil. I cover the buckets I mix in with light duty weed block fabric.

Water is life, your choice should be rain first (and only imo :slight_smile:)
Second, distilled.
Close third, Zerowater filtered tap water. That doggone filter never fails to get me 0 with a TDS meter.

Jiffy peat plugs and expandable pucks run acidic I’m told. Peat generally is acidic, what you pay for in ProMix is some perlite, a wetting agent and some lime to balance off the ph.
Once you get a handle on it, it is simple to make your own. Plus that soil looks too chunky, I sift my seedling soil with a 1/8 inch mesh tumbler that I scrounged from a resale shop, some sort of device for bingo, I think.

Best of luck, and relax. You’ve come to the right place for help!

2 Likes

Wow another complication with these damn Jiffy Pots. I had planned on cutting them off. Now there are two 4 inch Pots and the roots may have reached the side, I mean u would hope so but they are almost a month old and u see how small they are.

If the roots are in the middle of the Jiffy Pot trying to get out, I may just plant the whole thing. Not sure what would do more damage…Cutting the roots away from the pot or leaving them.?. I’ve read that cutting them is ok, but does stunt them…I don’t see any trying to get out of the cuts I made so who knows. @spaceman

I was never a fan of jiffy pots. I always had lanky starts. I use 20 oz solo cups. Make sure to put 4 holes around 1/4 inch at the Lowest part of the cup. This may not be in the middle of the bottom, but on the edge. It matters because that 1/4inch of water that collects in the bottom edges is enough to cause soggy soil and anaerobic bacteria to take hold in the bottom of the cup. I plant the seed with the cup around 60% full of soil. As the sprout grows I add soil around the stem (top the cup off with more dirt) keeping the dirt level just below the cotyledons. The plants usually produce their first set of leaves around the top of the cup. This results in very sturdy plants that won’t tip over on you, and a quick deep root system. If a plant is too tall I dump it out, knock some dirt off the bottom and put the plant back in the cup with a skin of dirt on the bottom of the cup so the roots aren’t on bare plastic. When I showed this technique in Washington state, they didn’t think very much of it at first, but then they saw the results. If you do it this way you may lose a few to damping off if you over water. Be careful.

2 Likes

Just got done transplanting 7 of 9, ran out of saucers. Omg my fucking back is on fire, I’ve got a shit ton of stairs. Here is what I found…
NO ROOTS, the biggest root ball was barely an inch of dirt. They ALL broke down to the cubes.?. Not sure what happened.

Maybe a PH issue from the start OR the soil was off. I don’t have enough experience to make a more educated guess.
They are now in 1 gal fabric Pots with seedling soil and extra perlite. Not as much perlite as I wanted, I threw away the open bags of everything. Maybe rash but I was just feed up.
I don’t expect much from them but hopefully they will at least grow now.
Ever seen anything like that before? I took a couple of pics, will post later to tired to move ATM. But there’s really nothing to look at, just a dried up cube and a couple of roots.
I’ll bookmark yer post as I obviously need a new way to grow seedlings. And thx for the help!!!:fist:

A stressed grower equals money. Speaking of that, there are some less costly options for lowering the pH of your water as far as I know. I have used citric acid before, but I’ve also read that microlife do not like this.( If you use chemicals ferts anyway it wouldn’t matter) my plants didn’t seem to mind. For a truly easy way to grow, just use ocean Forest by foxfarm, cut 25% with a 50/50 perlite/ castings mix. some 5 5 5 organic fertilizer in pellet, and powdered form mixed globally, add some dolomite, And boom. All set.( well maybe not THAT easy lol! All these fancy additives are costly and make growing more .complicated than needed. Can you get a pic of the ingredients on yr fertilizer? I didn’t see them.

2 Likes

That’s the rub, they don’t list anything on the packs. So I have no idea…

This BS nute scheme these companies are running on ppl are bullshit and they are making bank. I have a landscape co and go to the same old hardware store to buy all my nutes. And they have open/clear bags of all sorts of nutes…

I was thinking the same thing. Why pay a shit ton of $$$ to a co for the same thing I can get for a fraction of the price.

Problem is I don’t know what nutes they need. Or what nutes would help as admend to them. My partner wants nothing to do with this…You have to consider where we live, so I don’t blame her at all. She does most of that part anyway. She stayed in college while I was out getting high…Paying for it now!

Sorry to hear of tiny rootball. You may have been right about those cubes. They may have gone bad on you. Sounds like the soil mix around the cube may have been a little hot for them as well. They didn’t want to venture out beyond their little comfort bubble( the cube). So two options there. I would be happy to help you make the switch to organics. It can be made simple or complex. Depends on yr personality. It can be done very cheaply as well. And you can ( if you have a place for it) recycle yr soil to reuse again. I use 10% of the fertilizer I used to use too! I highly recommend the book true living organics by the Rev. He isn’t 100% accurate, as he is still learning himself, but it’s a great book to see if that’s the method for you. For the most part, once your plants are in the soil mix all you have to do is add water. Sorry I type so slow ha ha. some of my posts are outdated by the time I finish lol!

1 Like

Yeah man I might take you up on that. Still getting a feel for everything, it’s been a long time. You see when I grew before I had a buddy and he sourced all the nutes but I remember being all organic. And this was 20 yrs ago…

I’d have to go to the hydro store and a cop would sit across the street half the time. That shit freaked me out! But for sure on my next run which won’t be long, I can try something different.
I usually talk to the owner of the hardware store but he was one his way out the door. Plus we have to be careful as it’s not legal here but they do sale FF and a crap load of other stuff.

1 Like

Secret sauce!( the 420 powder) were you shooting for an organic grow? Tough to know what else to add when you don’t know what you’ve ALREADY added. Never heard of not listing ingredients. It should say OMRI if it’s organic. Seems odd that yr issues began just days after adding that powder… anyway I have to head to work. I’ll check in later. Don’t forget those rootball pics.

2 Likes

Yep no problem, I’ll post them in a bit. I did ask the owner if they were organic and I got the standard line. But they have tried to be helpful, answer the phone, respond to emails. More than some others for sure.

1 Like

Here are a couple of pics, I would have taken more but there was no use. The rest were all the way down to the cube. These are the biggest Root balls of them all and sry for the shitty pics. Crappy phone and trying to hold it at the same time didn’t help.

@George @Meesh @Upstate

3 Likes