Shishkaberry Preservation Run, Open-Pollination (CLOSED for sign up)

Shishkaberry Update

Not too much to see today…seedlings starting their 2nd set of true leaves and root growth. They’re about ready for some real light in the form of a 315 CMH. :slight_smile:

Alaskagrown

42 Likes

Shishkaberry Update

Been a bit under the weather with the flu or whatever is going around…but here’s how they’re looking this evening.

A few of em have a nice pinkish coloring early on…pretty seedlings! :slight_smile:

Alaskagrown

53 Likes

Looking good .

6 Likes

Awesome @Alaskagrown hoping this turns out absolutely stellar for you.

6 Likes

Those look happy and healthy. Germination and early seedling stage have become my least favorite phase of any given grow haha too many unknowns and potential loss

5 Likes

Seedling stage does carry a bunch of unknowns for sure…I always look for early trichome onset and coloring. I’ve already picked out my favorites and potential winner’s.

On a side note…think I seen some small aphids this morning. :frowning:

Gonna mix up a light batch of Neem Oil and give them a little soak after work.

Alaskagrown

16 Likes

Neem oil and neem seed meal have worked well for me against critters. I have not had many, mostly just gnats. I dont take in cuts, everything is from seed. I could do without the smell though :smiley:

do you mix the oil with some dishsoap and water, or how to you apply your neem oil?

5 Likes

I’ll do a update later this evening when I’m off work…

The weather here has been brutally cold the last 2-3 weeks -20 through -30+ so moving the seedlings to my large grow 100+ yards from the house is just not a option…

Also Covid is alive and well in our community and everyone including myself seemed to get it.

Either way hope everyone is healthy and doing well!

Alaskagrown

14 Likes

Yes I use dish soap as a surfactant/emulsifier in all my foliar sprays…and/or Yucca if I have it. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yeah, winter is back at last and COVID comes with it. Take care and grow well!

2 Likes

Real quick update

Shishkaberry seedling’s doing ok…they definitely need to get sprayed today as aphid damage is showing and they desperately need some nutrients and better lighting!

At least the weather is starting to warm up a bit…it’s above 0 this morning!! Woo hoo :smiley: Hopefully I can get these moved and fed some proper nutrients in the next day or so…

I’ll do a better update later today time permitting.

Alaskagrown

49 Likes

Shishkaberry Update

Mixed up a batch of 100% pure Neem Oil (1 1/2 tsp per quart) with warm water and dish soap. Gave them quite the soaking…hopefully the Aphids will be destroyed in a few applications along with any egg and/or larva.

As you can see the seedlings desperately need some nutrients and a transplant in the near future…good news is temps are continuing to warm up this week and we’re looking at temps in the high 30’s this weekend. Thinking this should be a good time to relocate the babies to their new home with better lighting (315 CMH’s) and proper nutrients. :slight_smile:

At any rate here they are in all their glory…soaking wet and over watered. :man_facepalming:

Alaskagrown

43 Likes

Hungry little babies! That one in the middle seems to be very vigorous. The one on its right is tiny but seem to have the broader cotyledons. Lots of phenos to screen!

4 Likes

I just wanted to say I am so glad to see you back :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:green_heart: :seedling:

8 Likes

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!!

Plants are doing better the last few days after the Neem application. :slight_smile:

Think I’ll spray them again this evening.

I’ll take some more pics later…

Have a great Sunday Funday!!

Alaskagrown

13 Likes

Yup….they are definitely getting sprayed again today…little fuckers! :frowning:

Alaskagrown

28 Likes

Have you heard of Johnnypotseeds solution to soft bodied insects?

7 Likes

Insecticidal soap kills aphids really well. Good luck, they are absolute bastards. With plants that small it shouldn’t be too bad.

5 Likes

Of all the pests Aphids are definitely one of the easier to eradicate…thank god it’s not mites! :grimacing: Fuckin house plants! Lol My lady has a house plant addiction…we literally have almost 70 house plants! :crazy_face:Ha

I’ll give his recipe a go…thanks!!

Alaskagrown

18 Likes

so many growers from all over the map have been battling aphids this winter. For me it is the first time having to deal with them indoors. In a packed mom room with big bushy plants they are not easy to eradicate. They can proliferate into a real problem very fast. I’ve been using End All after following some guidance from @lunchpale and also a healthy dusting of diatomaceous earth on the soil surface and all around the base of the stem to help kill the emerging juveniles and the winged egg layers.

15 Likes