Silver Thiosulfate - Making feminized seeds

Thank you @Yetigrows !

2 Likes

Just got back to US this morning, get home tonight. No idea what shape my plants are in… Will post an update tomorrow…

Lob

1 Like

I miss Irish. He is a cool dude.

2 Likes

Well…my plants were a mess.
End result is that I’ve salvaged them, but they are all in full-flower now. I had put them on 12/12 for sexing, then went back to 24/7, and they’re all very happy in flower.

Can I take clones from them?..will they go back to veg?

You can reveg a clone but it takes ages of TLC before it turns back into a healthy plant, if it does at all. Depends on a few diff factors. If it’s important genetic material you could take 10 clones and hope 1 takes it to a healthy new mom. Don’t use tips nor bottom branches, the strong middle sections are where the magic happens in clone world. But if you want to go for bud, go for bud. Imho, it’s best to consider your options and put all the work into making the best fitting option work out, but it’s not always conducive to a nice life, so it kind of depends.

So, yes, you can, if you have the time, patience, experience or willingness to learn, and don’t mind sacrificing most of your best budding branches.

WHY did you put them in 24/7 is what I’m wondering. If the goal is to get feminized pollen you are best off just dropping a few more beans (if you can of course) and doing the works properly on time, because revegging towards vegetative growth and then going back into STS treatments will not only cost more time but is also not very conducive to vigor. Vigor is highest when plants are young, just like in nature, and declines with stress. Regenerative processes cost a lot of vigor, which is why less vigorous plants or branches more often don’t make it.

2 Likes

Good points, all. This got away from me, mostly due to a trip to South America. Lost focus and control.

Yeah. I hope one day he still “grows” again.

3 Likes

I have some Part A and Part B in my downstairs spare fridge from almost a year ago.
I don’t know how long that stuff lasts, so ordered a bottle from Amazon.
I have a couple of plants that have been growing this winter, but I’m not sure if it’s too late now to spray them. They went into flower about a month ago.

I also went back to work…So my gargening time just become a bit limited :frowning:

He’s still around. Assuming we’re talking about @IrishGrows. Just had a chat with him a couple days ago. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

@irishrocker was his tag! Maybe he changed it.

2 Likes

Yep @Irishrocker was/is a cool guy.

2 Likes

i’ve been reading a lot about reversing so i can try it this time and recently read a book called ‘organic marijuana soma style’ and it said all you had to do was let the females go 10-14 days past harvest to turn male and produce pollen. is it really that easy?

1 Like

Sort of. That’s called rodelization, and stresses the plant into making male flowers. Those tend to hermaphrodite and why people now stay away from fem seeds. The cs and sts are chemical treatments and not stress inducing to change the female.

4 Likes

thanx. i think i’ll use the silver. do not want hermies.

1 Like

Rodelization does not produce more hermaphrodites. If you have 2 of the same clone and spray one with sts and let the other go through rodelization, you will have the same offspring. It’s the female plants that drop pollen early in flower that give you the hermaphrodites, because they are hermaphrodites. It’s about selecting for non-hermaphrodites and using those for breeding. How you breed that plant ends up with the same DNA being transferred.

4 Likes

And, there’s no guarantee a female pushed way past her normal lifecycle will herm. Some will. Others won’t.
The CS and STS are almost always guaranteed

4 Likes

True, That!
I often run “Late Harvest” plants to push the chems towards sleepy-time and I have yet to get a viable seed from them. I’ll stick with STS.

1 Like

Well…my winter breeding project was a total bust. Left my plants in the care of someone for 3wks while on a cruise…he forgot to water them for about a week.
I got them back green…but they are some of the strangest plants I’ve ever seen.

They’re about 2ft tall. Bottom half looks like a normal weed plant, 5 finger leaves, serated edges, but the top half of the plants are totally different. 2 fingers, sometimes 3, and totally smooth edges.
The have some buds, but they’re few and far between. I had them on 12/12 when I left, and because of lack of space and other stuff I had growing, they went back under 24hr lights, so that’s certainly part of it.
Probably chop them this weekend, and focus on this season’s plants which all have their true leaves now, so time to up-put them into 1gal.

That sux man. It’s why a lot of home growers shut down for a few months, so they can travel. Outside of my wife, I don’t trust anyone to take care of my dogs or my plants.

I think I’ve read that when your plants start shooting 1-3 fingered leaves, it’s a sign of stress. I see it with clones from older mothers too.

Yeah…this was sort of unavoidable, but I hear ya. They def got stressed…some strange looking plants.

1 Like