Sour Diesel Thread

Karma Sour Bx4. Astringent skunky diesel, no sweetness on this lady

30 Likes

Sour Giesel

37 Likes

soprano’s sd, exactly 60 days

27 Likes

Finally caught up on this thread. Always loved the lemony Sour Diesel you used to be able to get in California and its unique hybrid effects but have never grown it myself. Was curious if anyone aside from Soma* has tried to remake Sour Diesel from landraces/heirlooms rather than working the existing clones/IBLs or going further back to supposed MSS x (Chem91 x NL) parents?

From what I’ve read, there are some Afghan / Pakistan hash strains with strong diesel aromas and “hybrid” effects that would be a suitable template for crossing with one of those electric, sometimes terrifying Southeast Asian landraces with citric sour aromas. Would take a lot of work and iterations to lock it all in but I have a hunch you’d find the classic SOUR taste, structure, and effects in there.

*My own NYCD lineage theory is the original story about NYC bagseed is a complete fabrication and the only truth is the Mexican Sativa x Afghani lineage with the Mexican in NYCD being Verde Limón… but that’s a subject for another thread.

7 Likes

Some strawberry diesel for lunch, fills the air and your mouth with strawberry jasmine incense and dirty petrol and burnt rubber skunk.

22 Likes

When did Soma do this?

The way I see it only one of the stories on the Soma Seeds page can be true:

Either it is a hybrid of Mexican Sativa x Afghani or it is from Diesel bagseed, possibly hybridized with Afghani/Hawaiian depending on the version of the story. I don’t believe the bagseed story since it is full of inconsistencies and has changed multiple times over the years. If it is a hybrid of Mexican Sativa x Afghani that was initially passed off as a Diesel bagseed or Diesel bagseed hybrid that qualifies as an attempted remake to me. Not successful in my opinion, the effects of Soma’s NYCD, while very enjoyable, are distinct from any Sour Diesel I’ve tried.

1 Like

The only story I have ever heard was bag seed crossed to his Hawaiian /afghani male

3 Likes

To complicate things further the sold out listing on Mandala Seeds is Mexican Sativa x Afghani/Hawaiian. But go back to the ICMag forum posts from 2006 and the talk is all about the female parent being Sour Diesel bagseed from NYC. So there was some dishonest marketing of the strain initially, and the current story you see on the Soma Seeds site is different now. Maybe a stretch to call it a remake but I still think it qualifies.

3 Likes

So just more muddy water

4 Likes

I bought a pack of Soma NYC Diesel the first year it came out thinking it was the actual Diesel. The packaging said Mexican x Afghan. Back then I thought maybe he had knowledge on what the lineage of Diesel was. That was around the same time as the Cannabible saying Diesel was possibly a Mexican Afghani hybrid. I was disappointed it wasn’t true diesel but I did enjoy the buds whatever it is. I made several crosses and consider it something special but I still have issues with him saying it was something it wasn’t. Especially since I spent around $350 for the pack

20 Likes

Notso sour d starting week 3 under a hortilux hps

20 Likes

Soma was always full of shit from the start. The masterpiece was the rodelization : all his fems were supposed to be produced like this. He’s just a straw man for marketing, a white page. All pedigrees of his “long worked” lines, the rodelization industrialized, his rasta condition, his church, building champions in throwing seeds by the window … not using the best breeder cuts available of early 2000s of nurseries everybody know ^^ No no.

He distributed some fires (i don’t put the NYCD in this), but all that come from his mouth is BS. The only great thing he done is the big wave of organic grow after his book, imo.

12 Likes

“AJ cut” via @JohnnyPotseed . D75 12/12.
I’m running it into the ground, it’s turning purple too. A few more days :slightly_smiling_face:.

25 Likes

Top 2 in the middle. the NASC SD x Pineapple Express. Stuff finished with a slight purple to it. smells like vanilla pineapple yogurt.

Top Left is the purple caper ‘assorted chocolates’ PC1 plant. some amazing grape cottoncandybubblegum purple caper stuff. smelled like sd & gdp early on. Bottom bud is Lemon Cherry Gelato x Skunk.

I grew 3 of those SD x PE inside. and another one is outside right now. and a couple were males. I got to see all the phenotypes, from the short dinky round leaves to the long slender pointy sativa phenos. I’m really happy with the stuff. So is everyone else that’s tried it. stuff’s a great daytime sativa that gets ya lifted. 1 hit, and 1 min later its like wham. you’re good. Ya. trimmed a bunch of this stuff. It’ll be a good winter. 1st trellis net was a success. Now onto my 1st hydro grow with the clones.

24 Likes

It’s insane to me how many phenos of diesel this thread has acknowledged. Not sure if I’m impressed or scared but the only other line I can think of with this many well known yet discrete lines is the og family.

Also, never trust a seed bank to be honest about the provenance of their beans. Even the best of em do fudge the scales / mislabel their gear. It’s frustrating for sure

5 Likes

Does anyone know where I can get the original diesel aka daywrecker cut?

3 Likes

Anyone looking to grow rhe Sour Diesel S2 that Strayfox just put out?

4 Likes

Anyone orders the strayfox Sour Diesel S2 and does a log, il send you my Original Diesel S2 seed pack to run a side by side log

8 Likes

It’s dope. It jailbreak from the usual fake authority arguments. Generally focused on what’s available to sell (from the argument ^^). Even distant hybrids, it give an idea on the distance from the cut(s).

Impressed and scared shouldn’t be the drive imho. But a specialized chase.
I’m even unable to advise a set of cuts to start somewhere, then to choose the One pragmatically. But it’s how i’m seeing the things : find your poison in the wide/wild panel, ignore everything else.

Majority of labels play quite straight now, there is a trend to add to much topping on the cake but … it’s not new in our old scene as well. It’s the bonus to have quite liberalized the seed market, from a reduced offer to a saturated battleground : it’s no longer about the storytelling of an half dozen of persons. And always the same over ^^

I’m blaming the fall of standards and grade in weed in term of modern releases, but in term of transparency we sincerely have gained in torque since 10 years. It’s not ignoring dramas and the usual bullshits, but now they are quickly confronted to others versions/visions.

IMHO it’s not magical and it’s due to the learning curve of the last massive batch of new hobbyists-stoners.
Old 010’s batch : “where i can find the best versions of XYZ to make my way”
Fresh batch : “where i can find the best XYZ”

^^

Indirectly, i find that it’s the best proof that something changed in mentalities.

Soprano tried hard to sell me this one, instead the one i asked. He still have it at last news.

200% dope

6 Likes