STS Mixing questions

Ok, so this is basically Half of what im getting mixed in 500ml of water for each part.

So, Admittedly I am no chemist, but If your formula is for Half the volume of powders im getting, and you use 50ml of each, couldnt I simply mix all of it and instead use 25ml of each at the same dilution rate for the same end concentration? Is there something I am missing? Is there a reason you cant double the concentration, and then simply use half the amount and still end at the same mixed strength??

2 Likes

I’m using 50ml of each part A + B solution, not the power.

I make 500ml of solution A and 500ml of solution B.

I then measure out 50ml of each part into separate jars that have been marked with 50ml volume indicator.

I them mix these together into a different jar making 100ml of STS concentrate.

I then mix the 100ml of STS concentrate into 900ml of distilled water to create 1000ml of STS working solution.

:+1:

2 Likes

Right I get this, what im confused on is this

Ok, I am getting almost exactly Double these amounts. What I am saying is, 1.6 gram is double 0.80 grams, and when mixed in 500ml distilled water, you use 50ml right? Couldnt I just mix the 1.6 grams in 500ml and instead of using 50ml, use 25ml of double strength A & B and mix it with 950ml of distilled water and end up at the same concentration You do?? That is what is confusing me because logically if I double the concentate strenght and use HALF the amount, I should still end up at the same strength when diluted right? What am I missing? Im not tryin to be a pain, i swear im not, i just cant wrap my head around why it wouldnt work to double the concentrate strength and use Half the amount?

1 Like

Try it out and let us know. The amount im mixing was suggestes as a minimum unless you have lab equipment for fine measurements.

The main reason i personally wouldnt mix that much at once is the shelf life. Once you add h20 you have a year in the fridge (prob more but im cautious.)

3 Likes

You’re not missing anything. The math checks out bro

2 Likes

weights of the chems to mix 1 liter final volume. That’s actually the smallest volume you can make using a mg scale.

.05 g silver nitrate, mixed in 50 ml distilled water- part A. .39 g sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate mixed in 50 ml distilled water- part B (Note- If you use anhydrous thiosulfate, you will need to do your own math.)

Whisk A and B together quickly for about 30 seconds. Add 900 ml of distilled water to reach the final 1L volume - I use 600ml here.

2 Likes

Oh thank god I was starting to think I was crazier than normal or I suddenly got dumb or something lol

2 Likes

@HolyAngel thanks for confirming @Ace71975 idea!

@Ace71975 I’m SERIOUSLY BAD AT MATH so I wasn’t confident to confirm your idea as correct although it felt right every-time I was reading it which is why I was primarily paraphrasing what I know works in hopes that someone better at numbers (like HolyAngel) would chime in for all of us :sweat_smile: .

My sis is the academic while I’m the practical. I actually messaged her to double check but she didn’t get back to me yet. We share our strengths so I message her with stuff like this to triple check for me all the time… however my skill set means that when she needs me I’m physically heading over to her place to do what i do :rofl:

4 Likes

Hey I wasnt sure either, HS Science has been a LONG LONG time ago lol.

1 Like

@Pigeonman @HolyAngel or anyone else, have you ever had success getting any female pollen in the past to collect some for later use?

3 Likes

yes… @blendmedmedman

2 Likes

@blendmedmedman yep but on less plants than I’d had expected. This is why i’m always sacrificing a full plant to stay right next to the to be seeded plants. Usually I take the female, litterally pick it up and wipe it all over the “male” like it was toilet paper to a dirty ass.

The Hubbabubbasmelloscope reversal showed little to no pollen drop but it was there enough with the BDSM approach to make a lot of seeds :smiley:

4 Likes

I am reversing one Whole plant to collect Pollen to fertilize a second Whole plant. Hopefully I get a decent amount of Pollen AND seeds.

2 Likes

So, I have now taped the crap outta my spray bottle, and one of my 3 jars so far, workin on the second jar now, making sure they are light proof. Not the fun part of the hobby lol

1 Like

Easier to go to the wally world discount store and buy small cheap generic brown peroxide bottles, they even have a small brown spray bottle for topical applcations… Think I paid $1 a piece…

1 Like

Well, its too late for that now, I have 3 things done, and only one to go lol

1 Like

So I went Foil, Duck Tape,Foil Tape, and Electric tape, aint no damn light gettin in lol

1 Like

Aint no damn light getting through! I am also going to put a piece of Tin Foil over the tops of the jars when I store them in the fridge just to be sure its 100% Light Proof! Over kill? Maybe, but not taking any chances lol

5 Likes

Ok so spray every three days, for how long? How many treatments? Just so you know this is an Auto flower Fem that has just started showing her sex.

1 Like

I go every 3 days for usually 3 weeks or untill i c balls

2 Likes