The Central American landrace and heirloom thread

Is this because they need closer to a 12/12 cycle?

2 Likes

Probably. Mulanje is a town in southern Malawi and has a latitude of 16 degrees north. I’m at 35North.

5 Likes

Santa Marta Colombian gold that is just looking rougher and rougher.:man_shrugging:

20 Likes

Tossing on worm tea or castings always a safe bet

liquid seaweed can help rejuvenate

There may some other imbalance in your soil but worm castings act as nutrient buffer

Sometimes plants have sensitive roots they just take a long time adjust

Yeah, that ones gone to scraggleville usa…Stick with it its a beautiful plant!

When they decide to come back to health its always fun…who knows why shit happens

I always put lava rock in the bottom of pots…that way they can breathe when soil compresses over time …most plants like this

5 Likes

Research Coconut Water, Water Soluable Kelp Powder, and Aloe Vera for cannabis health and vigor. With my soil recipe I only water with that stuff a couple times through the plants growth cycles. Seedlings get Aloe Vera, Transplant into larger pots gets coconut water and I use the Kelp Powder + Fish Emulsion(7-1-1) every time I water my plants.

I just posted an update on my grow journal showing my recipe plus the reults. You can scroll down and skip the wall of text to see the images.

Here is the best example of the root growth for those who dont want to click on links.

8 Likes

Do you have sunshade cloth to help with the heat on the ladies during the midday sun? Maybe it could help lessen the transpiration rate in the leaves and help them retain some more moisture in the plant since your environment is hot and dry. I’m not 100% on this idea but in theory it seems like it could help.

3 Likes

That’s true

…maybe you need a humid/shade area for these Colombians

3 Likes

Hot and dry sucks for sativas, like the med. I have been successful with foliar spraying with liquid vermicompost diluted in water and a fan. It helps a lot to mimic the tropics. Humidity has to be over 65% with true tropical sativas.

2 Likes

My humidity is usually between 25/35 and I don’t supplement humidity. Sativas do really well for me as long as I give them plenty of water. I’m sure my yield is below what others would get but they usually do ok.

5 Likes

Yes, yield will be affected by lack of humidity in true tropical sativas, but hey if you have managed to get around it without affecting the root system, kudos to you. Thank you for not being the typical overeacter when I stress the differences of growing a plant from a climate in another. I am still adapting to my new environment and have killed three Cryptic Labs Panama Hueso Cut x Old Timer’s Haze precisely because I overwatered to compensate. Maybe there was another factor? It is also possible.

However, if I ever met any of you and clicked, say on a Spannabis, and we kept in touch. I would love for you to come to Puerto Rico if I am living back there and see for yourself. Another way of saying this is: back there everyone has a green thumb. Just get compost from the community garden, soil from your backyard and the natural sun, rain and humidity does the trick. Conversely I have pretty much abandoned a Pakistani Chitral Kush plant here, even neglecting it of water, and it is thriving. Back home it would probably rot as soon as it flowered and I would have to look for ways around the high humidity with dehumidifiers, do it strictly indoors, etc.

Kudos to you for your greater efforts.

3 Likes

That is good advice. My shadow benny or recao, a sibling plant to cilantro, which grows wild and even in cracks of pavement in the caribbean, only grows well outside its natural environment on a deep shade.

3 Likes

Verde Limón #9 today, the female with the strongest lemon/lime stem rub with skunk and incense. When you approach the fabric bed they are growing in, you can smell this plant before you can smell any of the others…hyp3rids was not exaggerating. I found also found two males, #1 (lime) and #6 (lemon) which I will be keeping around for an F2 and future breeding projects. I culled the rest of the 10 seeds I planted out because the stem rubs did not express any citrus when initiating flowering. Even so, every plant was extremely vigorous and tolerant to environmental stresses, possibly more than any single batch of seed I’ve grown.

15 Likes

Thanks for the info everyone! Today is 4% Rh with 15-25 mph winds and 102° degrees so humidity is hard to keep outside. I have ewc and sea kelp oh ya and aloe plants :thinking: that should help. I had her under the 90% shade cloth when temps were over 110° was thinking maybe needed more sun so I was just playing with different things lol.
@PineTarBastard thanks for pointing that out I’m at about 3,000 above sea level so that’s an added variable.
I’m learning and will figure it out with the help of OG members!

9 Likes

I recently added a 315W CMH to my tent and it pushed temperatures above 100°. My biggest plant lost a bunch of leaves. So I’ll just use it for a couple of hours in the morning when it’s cooler.

4 Likes

Is this Hyp3rids? Damn I missed that variety.

1 Like

Back from the dead. Did not want to post them until I felt sure they came back and wow the liquid vermicompost, a change of soil with thrichoderma special blend sprayed all over for three weeks, as well as phed water at 6.5 has seemingly done the job. These plants were virtually dead.

Cryptic Labs Hueso Cut Panama x Old Timers Haze

Cannabiogen Green Pheno NLD selected x Old Timers Haze (on the left)

16 Likes

Yes, the Hyp3rids reproduction of Verde Limón. I plan to make the lime/lemon leaning F2s with the 3 clones (#1, #6, #9) I have and keeper plants from the rest of the original seed this winter but I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up until the seed run is successful.

9 Likes

I concur with @rasterman. My climate is hot and dry, (and 5000 feet elevation to boot) and sativas thrive here. But then again, every cannabis plant I’ve grown outdoors has thrived.

8 Likes

These are two different arguments. He states that sativas (not hybrids, I suppose, because the Ace seeds grow perfectly well in the mediterranean in comparison to the Panama 1971 or the Cryptic Labs Panama x Old Timers Haze in my experience) do really well for him in hot and dry climates. I state that, for pure or nearly pure tropical sativas, it sucks (for me I must have added), but not that they do not do well, and that such climate affects yield better and, I add now, produce other profiles (possibly terpenes and overall flavor).

It is a touchy subject all across the board in agriculture, not just cannabis, because what people may be missing from my comment is that my starting point is the ideal climate for it, not if it can do well or if it does well. Surely you both have better overall growing skills than me and even more at these non tropical climates, since I am not from these climates.

Let me give you an example that is not related to cannabis and that may be better understood. My inlaws never bought ecuadorian bananas, which are the ones imported in Spain from elsewhere because, well, nationalism and internal marketing drove them to think that Canarian grown bananas were BETTER or at least equally as good. The first time I tried one, I was polite. They werent bad, they were ok, but they were not really close to being very good or as great as a banana from by backyard in Puerto Rico.

We love food. We are all foodies. There was this one time that we were watching a documentary on Ferrán Adriá and his Nouvelle Catalan Cousine. Ferran was asked about the products that he imported given that almost virtually all of his dishes were made with local produce. He said that he imported bananas from Ecuador because they were simply the best. They were disappointed and there is a dose of influence of what they have been used to and of nationalism in their disappointment to Ferran Adriá’s preference of ecuadorian bananas over canarian bananas. Years later, on the eve of our wedding, which was celebrated in Castille but they flew over to Puerto Rico to meet my parents (a really funny situation, but it went well although as always a bit awkard). One day, they tried the mangos and bananas and could not help themselves (I never asked) but admit what I already knew. They straight up told me that the mangoes from Málaga and the Bananas from Canarias were not as good and that these were so much sweeter and softer in texture. That is what I had noticed about the tropical produce grown in Spain, even in Canarias, that it wasnt somehow complete and Im not talking about maturity, but about flavor and texture. Anyone who has gone to Canarias can witness the lengths through which they have to go to protect the crops from the heat and the desert like climate by putting nets all over the fields, effectively giving it shade and humidity.

So, again, my dear friends, all I am saying is that it is not the ideal climate for pure tropical sativas or nearly pure tropical sativas because it is not the tropics. Kudos to you all who can manage to harvest a great product in a non ideal climate. Hey, a bad grower in the tropics can also turn a lesser product than great growers like you in hot and dry climates, so all of this reflects the skills that you have got.

Best of vibez,
Cannabrainer

9 Likes

If it goes well, dont forget about me hehe

In 2025 I will be running the Purple Zacatecas so if you are interested in that one I can share with you the seeds that will result from my selections.

3 Likes