The Mexican Landrace Thread *continues 2

I have had similar experiences, albeit about a decade later.

I would get into arguments all the time because I would see people plant five seeds of brickweed and treat them like they were from Shanti. I would tell them you need to plant as many as possible and then cull all of them that aren’t impressive within about 3-4 weeks. I could fit about 30 plants into a 4x4 and by the end of the month I would only have a few left. That is how you find good brick weed. Finding the exceptional specimens, not the average ones! If you grow them five at a time it will take you years to find something worthwhile. You will end up another disgruntled grower saying you would be crazy to grow brick weed seeds when you could have Cookies and Kush.

22 Likes

Exactly my experience.

11 Likes

Good to hear about that one!

I know AK bean brains got the BOEL Oaxaca from deadpanhead

RC Colas said he put something out there …goes by the name of BOEL Oaxaca

Maybe it originated with RC Colas… AKBB or deadpanhead might know

4 Likes

Norstar and Gooey breeder share alot of genetics

Gooey had Old Mexican he used and Norstar may shared the same BOEL Oaxaca Gold

I would say its going back to RC colas

would have to inquire with the seed makers …It was the year of the Oaxaca!

gooeybreeder

7 Likes

Super cool, I didn’t know that but I’m growing the Costa Chica ('79 Oaxacan x Durban IBL) from Deadpanhead now. I ran his Big Sur Holy Weed x Congolese Black and his NL5Haze x Nevil’s Haze, which was better than any of the hazes or piffs I’ve run or smoked in the last two years including Bandaid.

10 Likes

Yup, when I talked to AKBB he said he got the Dwarf Oaxacan from Joel at Norstar. I talked to Joel and he said he got it from Gooey, who said he doesn’t remember much about it except it was inbred in Norcal since 1983 or something. Looking on Phylos shows Afghani in it which I believe, although any data from Phylos should be taken with the appropriate amount of salt.

9 Likes

Vibes! Have your come across Tepache in your area? As part of my various fermentation experimentation I’ve made it a couple times, although it’s tough to get high quality pineapples in the states at the grocery stores that have not been doused with chemicals. My understanding is that the fermentation can mitigate some of the toxicity of the chemicals but i would much rather prefer to get the pineapples that have’t been sprayed in the first place.

Here’s a description from the interwebs:

7 Likes

Dreaming to try Oaxacan that looks like this:

There’s something about those wispy ones

27 Likes

You mean the Bandaid Haze original cut?

2 Likes

Its really tasty…
When summer arrives its the best time to drink it

4 Likes

Yes!!!
Here in Arizona I only look forward to 3 things in the summer: the pool, the helados cart, and tepache.

5 Likes

LOL!! Now that made me laugh being hispanic myself.

5 Likes

Dude what’s up with sweet corn on a stick covered in mayo and chili powder from a cart in 115° day. WTAF corn mayo chili ugh

1 Like

Don’t you EVER say an unkind word about elotes!!! :rofl:That is one of the finest treats known to mankind!
When I owned my food truck, the most popular item on the menu was elotes fries. Thick cut French fries with cut corn, cilantro lime mayo, chili powder, and cilantro, with cotija all over!

14 Likes

Mayo on hot corn in 115° heat just is uuggghh ick to me in every way it skeeves me into goose bumps. It might taste good I don’t mind mayo and like corn but the first time I saw that on the street in AZ and I’m from Michigan so I thought damn that’s a lot of butter. My buddies promptly said nope that’s mayo and said I physically looked ill.lmao glad it did you well but I just can’t man lol​:rofl::rofl::nauseated_face:

2 Likes

You want Cryptic Labs Oaxaca, then. That’s the Gold.

12 Likes

34 Likes

How often does that string of pearls pheno show up?

4 Likes

My oaxacan is coming up volunteer. I had 4 seed left from last year when upstate sent them to me. I popped then and three came up. One is runty and not doing well
Al from khalifa sent me some weird cambodian-golden tiger s1 fems. I started them. If they come up I will plant beside the oaxacans and get a cross

7 Likes

Some of photos of the cross called “Mextiza”
Old Oaxacan 79 x JaPan (Jamaican 85 x Panamá)

38 Likes