The REAL "Skunk" I WAS THERE

It’s not about the light rather complex chemicals interactions with a rather simple possible cause I’ve seen nobody explore as the root of the extra skunky weed , as mentioned by others in this thread plenty of skunky Afghans and kush plants around.

5 Likes

My uncle fondly recalls a story about picking up a hitchhiker back in the day when he was younger. New York City, late 60’s or early 70’s. The guy is so appreciative that my uncle stopped to give him a ride he tells him to wait for a few minutes in the car while he runs up to grab him something. My uncle is all, no no don’t worry about it, however the hitchhiker persists. Eventually my uncle obliges and dude runs up to his apartment and comes back down with some weed wrapped up in tinfoil.

In my uncle’s story he always says how the weed was just some dark looking crumbs, and I never realized how that must have just been broken up cobs until just now!

He said it was called “wacky weed” and it was the best pot, he calls it pot, that he ever had. He said that the smallest pin joint got him and his buddies so wasted they couldn’t stop laughing. I LOVE hearing him talk about this story he gets the biggest grin on his face you know it’s the real deal! Much love

7 Likes

Wonderful comment. I like you. Much love

1 Like

@Sbeanonnamellow
Thank you for the bedside reads.

@Heritagefarms
Thank you for the insight. My renewed interest in skunk come from a somewhat recent seed popping session in which I found my best skunk specimen yet. I consider that mom “the one to beat”.

My next mission is to find more like her, as well as a stank male. (Open pollination, then a 2nd seedrun with the better cuts)

Few beans from 93 will germ, the goal of course is a seed increase for an ok outdoor hunt next season.

8 Likes

love the books titles, plants evolved in microbe-plant interactions sounds interesting. wohoo, lets see.

I search a knowledgable biologist sice a while to help explain Landraces…
and how our very artificial foreign terroir imitations change them

but back to topic, you seem to say dont feed chemicals ferts. yeah ruins soil i guess, heavy metalls accumulate , so the soil gets worse nd worse. And Insects die /everything out of balance.

Just read about Agriculture how to rejuvent Soil/ keep it healthy, and its basically: feed Soil the right Compost (cant explain in detail wich type of Compost, but Tea, and Compost rich in? forgot it ) , and to keep the grond rooted, never leave it plain.
That means small plants can be grown around Cannabis, while Canna grows, and also after, those two things are basic. But thats agriculture. Love the priciples.

Bouth the Compost and the ever present Roots allow for Insect to stay alive well, and thats how one keeps a soil forever . Some things like funghi can help aswell a bit, but mostly its the first two things i said.

Keywords : Sustainable Agriculture with its main focus :Soil Science-

Its actually like this, if you never give Back to a Soil, then this Insects are reduced, the soil therefore out of balance… And with the Precaustions of giving back to the soil, the amount of Insects is bigger, the soil in balance. Its just interesting cause they have prooven numerous times that these precautions are working super duper well, and therefor it helped me understand how a soil works (because it works troughout, every time), i just got a feel for it i guess.
Its also that Nutrition is already in a Soil, healthy or not, but if its out of balance the nutriens are harder to become aviable for plants. So this helped me understand a bit more. And its cool to have a very simple, and very obvous method to keep soil healthy and “rich” .

And opposed to this, the average stupid Agriculture feeds the Ferts that became unaviable bacuse the unhealthy soil chemically, and need lots of pesticides.
Sustainable it wouldent need extra ferts, and smallest amount of pesticides

1 Like

That thread is legendary.

The old way of processing, at least from the people I learned from, had a few more steps than the modern method for sure.

"Lightstruck - While this defect is well known in both odor, taste and origin, it is sometimes not realized how little exposure can produce a noticeable lightstruck character. The wavelength of light causing this photochemical spoilage is 550 nm and below.* ”
—The Practical Brewer, MBAA, 1977

Oh man. I have a rant somewhere on here about this. :joy:

Now that’s interesting. I’ve read stuff about cannabis composition that made me think it behaved like a oilseed crop.

I tend to believe this. I’d quote/point to some stuff but it’s way too controversial for the public.

Also, thank you for the book titles, and I agree about other domains like brewing and wine making being worthy reads.

2 Likes

OK, what about playing with lightning schedules. I heard that flowering under 11light/13 dark instead of 1212 could alter skunk smells for the better.

What does the jury think of this ?

1 Like

further, one of this Guys books says how microbial life coevolves kind of with plants-genetics.

So, i think one of his suggestions MAY BE that plants coevolve, change with out chemical fertilizer,.
How? i think trough epigenetics. Im not shure if he suggested that too. Them plants changed trough chemical fertilizer culture.?

Thats why he brought up the Steak smell caused by what cows ate?

Theres a great white page paper on ncbi called something like phenotypic influence of microbes and feeding methods.

1 Like

Maybe ?

2 Likes

2 Likes

I found a skunky male from random beans collected in HI and MI in 91’

6 Likes

Double serrations is a good sign in a skunk line :grin:

5 Likes

Dude I didn’t see that until you said something!

I got poison Ivy checking the fucks so I’ve been cautious, still have it on just my ankles luckily

cool, just something further to help try and identify

Random old beans can be fun I’ve changed my mind but they’re so risky to do large runs of inside
Outdoors sure thats where the Buffalo roam

2 Likes

I had one throwing triple serrations too…

For those interested… pdf of papers Wuachuma shared :ok_hand:

Developmental_Plasticity_of_the_Major_Alkyl_Cannab.pdf (695.9 KB)

Inheritance of Chemical Phenotype in Cannabis sativa L
genetics0335.pdf (210.5 KB)

Genomic organization of plant terpene
genetics0811-1.pdf (897.7 KB)

13 Likes

Thanks buddy

1 Like

Thanks for the PDF’s
love those serrations
wouldn’t those be really consistent deep double serrations?
I could be missing something

Has anyone noticed harvesting old skunk stock gives you headaches?
I’ve wondered if it was just me
Like my old 86 skunk 1 cut gave me a head ache (not rks at all)
And notsos sour was so super skunky it had heavy skunk spray terps for sure
Which also gave me a headache

So I wonder if it’s just old skunk stock maybe I’m allergic to something that has since been bred out or not always present

As it’s not just thiol that’s for sure (what gives me the headache)

3 Likes

I don’t know but I have a old skunk plant from NorCal that I was told was 2/3 of the equation it’s not rks smelling either but more musky peppery oily tasting plant that explodes in your lungs , so expansive it’s hard to smoke at times. She has double serrations that come and go , my favorite keeper from a breeding I did with her also has double serrations that come and go, sometimes only a few per blade. I think there is a whole thread on here dedicated to documenting plants with this trait as many have found it to be a great sighn of a potential keeper plant.

5 Likes

Columbians almost always have double serrations so I hear as well

2 Likes