The REAL "Skunk" I WAS THERE

6 Likes

From The Seed Bank 1990 catalog

8 Likes

I picked up Super Skunk, amongst others, during a seed collecting mission in 94or5. Only popped one pack but didn’t find anything worth keeping.
Side note; on the same trip, I received a large tattoo in a shop in the red light area, from a tattoer who inked on workers from the various seed banks. After 4 hrs of tattooing, a few joints and a few Polaroids I brought over to show what I was growing at the time, he told me that at that time the seed game was a bit of a scam and that many banks would sell random seed under the name of the most popular strains to the tourists. This was disappointing to hear as I bought the seed before I got tattooed.
:grin::v:

7 Likes

Very possibly that was true…I bought some Skunk seeds {Ten} from Sensi and not one germinated.
Nine no shows, and one was a deformed thing with cotyledons and no true leaves.
I’d bought them from the ‘Museum’ so possibly very old.

Healthy, fresh seed should be up and away within 4 days.

I was really tempted to get a tattoo in Amsterdam, but didn’t go ahead.

This ‘Tribal area’ from the catalogue is a classic pic- Afghanistan used to be on the ‘‘Hippy Trail’’ before Russian Invasion and then the 9/11 disaster.

There was a very interesting film of the Afghan Hippie trail on You Tube-‘Magic bus’ I think it was?183F3CA3-E5CA-48DB-AF50-F53E489ACA85

9 Likes

i have no idea on the strain but damn brother those are some beautiful seeds, i just love it when seeds turn out like those.

awesome work …

2 Likes

Thanks sir. We like them fat and dark.

Molokai frost males x destroyer from cannabiogen

16 Likes

If you read my post “The Real Skunk… I was there” I tell the story of the Skunk we grew in the midwest in the 70’s. I don’t know how much more info a person needs ! The seeds were brought back from Kabul, Afghanistan in “73” and we started growin it in “74.” That’s a fact Jack !! Due to our fuck up, and not being smart about preserving it, this strain is gone. All these stories about hybrids of this, and that, are all fine and dandy, but in my experience this strain was an IBL, grown in the Kush Mountain region for 100’s of years… PERIOD !! PEACE

12 Likes

@GoodGear is not kidding. He sent me Molokai Frost seeds and I messaged him back and said I think you accidentally sent me coconuts.

4 Likes

The 70’s “skunk” seeds were so big and fat we called them Easter eggs !!

7 Likes

I’ve bought many skunk#1 packs starting in 1993 never have I had a cured bud with skunk terpenes, I’ve gotten a quick taste of skunk very mind . I’ve had skunk#1 stink like skunk whyll growing but never in cured buds. I’ve had really pungent skunky old rotten liver dinner tasting buds but it was not skunk#1. I also seam to remember ALL good weed being called skunk then people started using the phrase kind bud then mid 90s people using appropriate names then desert names . I really dont think skunk tasting Terps were ever in skunk#1, I think the gatekeeper of skunk#1 said he breed the skunks Terps out but still possible to find with pheno hunt was a marketing scam because of the popularity of the stories/history of RKS . I think the popularity of naming cannabis after smells and tastes today has younger crowd thinking old RKS Terps are in skunk#1 because of the name . My experience and friends/family is we have never had RKS Terps from skunk#1 not even close it’s just the name probably given due to its scent whyll growing.

4 Likes

Used to get a lot of Mexican weed that was skunky/gas. Strains with Skunk terps are taller plants that have sativa in them.
ECSD
GMO
Shoreline
Motorbreath
Death Star
Chem 91
Indica dominates the market today, tall sativas used to dominate the market.
You won’t find Roadkill in a pure Afghan.
A lot of the pure indicas, Pakistani Citral Kush as an example don’t have anything close to a skunk terps.
Skunk/haze/chem strains that are tall and vigorous are where you find skunk terps.
Afghan strains have dry sandy trichomes for hash, Skunk always had small sticky/ greasy trichs.

13 Likes

I.ve been lookin for “Death Star” regs for quite some time. Any suggestions ? Thanks, Chubby

1 Like

Goggle Blue Star. Josh Blue is your man. @Josh_Blue

1 Like

Ohio Death Star cuts are available.

7 Likes

Death Star is my oldest cut shared with me besides Dj’s blueberry lines. It’s the core of my breeding work. My original f1 lines were created by selecting 10 males I reversed onto 10 Death Star mothers, to find the best parental combos. Death star is the sour d hybrid I think that stinks most like skunk.

I have blue star f2’s in m/f. Easy to find a death star pheno in there. But there are lots of other types as well.

For fems, I have the death star phenotype locked in better with a death star bc, and diesel star f3, which is an f3 from a specific f1 #17 death star plant in the blue star line.

I aslo have m/f f2 of the death star pheno from blue star. (Bs f1 #17)

Blue Star is Death Star x Whitaker Blues.

I feel like tds is gonna make some gear soon too? Maybe check them out. And pip does good work with death star as well.

7 Likes

A good friend who passed away recently claimed Moneymaker was the closest thing he remembered being like the original Skunk. It tasted like a mouthful of Indian spices, cardamom and such, like really intense. I figured it would have been skunkier but he insisted otherwise. He was kind of old.

1 Like

Molokai frost males x Mulanje

7 Likes

Thanks JB for the info. What would it take to get some Death Star reg seeds ? Thanks, Chubby

3 Likes

Yes I’m also curious !!!

2 Likes

Thirdsies haha. Only time I ever had Deathstar it was at a festival. Really made it a great time

4 Likes