The REAL "Skunk" I WAS THERE

Gregog are you making seeds ? good luck

Thanks @misterbee!!
Yes the Colombian Gold is in flowering, and I have some Afgnak Indica testers in with the Colombian Gold, I’m going to cross Colombian Gold into them

I’ve got 2 females that were bigger than males, those are being bred with the biggest leaf Colombian Gold male. I’ve saved the 2 big males for future breeding projects. I’ve cloned the Colombian Gold plants I wanted to bred again…

And I dropped more CG to keep hunting the genetics. :100::dove:

4 Likes

Being the Parent of Skunk #1, CG (aka “Santa Marta”) can also give off "Skunk expressions. I would suspect “RKS” resides within also. The evolution continues, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Skunk #1 I smoked in 1986 smelled like the skunk cabbage that grew in the swamp near my house. There was absolutely nothing sweet about it. It was like a skunk spayed its nasty on the weed It was the first weed I bought that was covered in trichomes. Obtained from Manhattan at a friend’s dealer’s apartment. I paid $50 for the 1/8. He had 6 price points including Jamaican and Mexican shwag. It was like Christmas shopping! Jamaican was the best deal. $30 1/8 and tasted like pine sap. Phenotypes vary greatly. And generational slang does as well. I never had RKS….only heard people talk about the “real” RKS and thought I’d was an Afghan/Skunk because by then, it was later than 2000.

3 Likes

Or is it!

1 Like

Now I wanna grow skunk cabbage. I was under the impression that it smells like hydrogen sulfides. Most things labeled skunk by scientists smell like SH compounds, or weird chemicals, not skunk. Natural gas additive smells nothing like skunk even though the chemicals are only off by one placement of the methyl group.

I had to document the smell of pesticides for my job. People will label anything with sulfur as ‘skunky-rotten eggs’ . Sorry world, but there’s no similarity between skunk and rotten eggs, at all. Based on name I assume Shoreline smells like hydrogen sulfides, not skunk. Hydrogen disulfide was super common for a while. The industry still attempts to replicate it with camphor.

Roadkill and skunk are two different profiles. I’ve never seen them from the same genetics and don’t see it as likely. No one is asking for RKS based on nostalgia, as it was never in the marketplace. Roadkill/dead body was. Low tide was. Bad breath was. Skunk predates them. There was no cross over in the market at that pivotal time. What entered the Marijuana market at that time was fruit esters and lipid transfer protein allergies.

Bottom line: Everyone has their own “truth” when it comes to their inability to smell. And crappy breeders love this flexible reality. But there’s really nothing subjective about it…

Skunk is 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol.

Cheese is 3 methyl butene.

All the stuff that people typically call skunky but isn’t, (Gmo, Shoreline, chemdawg, cat piss) is getting its smell from the SH group of its cysteine.

3 methyl butene, plus the SH group from cysteine, equals 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol.

Cannabis is polymorphic. If you cross a boring borneol strain with an acetic acid strain (male from OG Kush line for example) you’ll have bornyl acetate in the progeny, much improved. So why hasn’t anyone tried open pollenation of Cheese males with a flock of bad breath low tide battery charger cat spray Chems? Try finding Cheese regs and there’s your answer.

Cheese is now missing too. Unless youre a fan of Monterey BT (the bacteria eat the leucine produced by mold feeding off of excess Nitrate in the plant, and produce 3 methyl butene)

Rks? Sounds like international canna hogwash. How about Overgrow Skunk. Plenty of strains out there that are programmed to give up their SH group in bloom. Just need the branch chain methyl donor. Of course, there’s plenty of growers deficient in cysteine, and plenty deficient in methionine (the cause of herms). And they all blame lack of sulfur for their amino deficiency. Those growers will never have skunk, as any excess sulfuric acid in the absence of properly metabolized N is going to convert 3 methyl butyric acid into fruity esters.

2 Likes

Skunk is definitely from India. No clue why people would look through Afghanistan hash strains. Oh, because the guys with Indian symbols all over their fake skunk seeds said to?

Skunk is so obviously an Indian strain. You’ve never been to India if you disagree. The Indians fed butter to increase butyric compounds. They fed asafoetida into split stalks for SH precursor. They watered their flowers with fermented meat for aminos.

You’ve never been to India if you think Skunk came from anywhere else. In fact if you do not have a little punjab DNA you wouldn’t enjoy the stuff. Most people do not want skunk, it would never be released based on feedback from North American dispensary data. Honestly, biologic fungicides are to blame for that. People kept saying “good weed smells like a butthole” and selling sprayed trash as dank. Sometimes the human body rejects the bullshit even when the mind doesn’t.

3 Likes

I would have walked out of you class first day of the semester, professor. :grin: Very fascinating stuff. And I was a huge fan of the Cheese when it first came around. It very different than Skink #1. Also I don’t think any Afghan smells like Skunk #1, but some kush berries I used to get early 90’s in Cali came pretty close.

1 Like

I grew skunk cabbage once in hydroponics or should I say I kept it alive awhile before getting rid of it. The thing with skunk cabbage is its only above ground part of the year witch makes it hard to keep it growing when doing anything indoors its also picky where it grows as it perfers lowland swampy areas with low light Conditions

2 Likes

There is a strain called Big Skunk Korean, and Korean skunk. Funny it has KS letters. Was RKS really real Korean Skunk maybe? Love to get the original strain. :thinking:

1 Like

That was somas strain and no it wasn’t rks

I’d guess that’s big bud crossed to skunk1 mixed with some feral Korean hemp/ruderalis genetics , not much of any established landrace in Korea besides the stuff the grows wild.

1 Like

I’ve said it before and will say it again , people need to be making first generation crosses between Afghan/paki type plants and columbian and Mexican strains then mix the offspring from those together , this is what was happening in the 70s and 80s and this is what fell out of favor by the 90s with seed companies having a larger and larger presence in the genetic playing field and medical making cloning the popular thing by the 2000 era.
Got to go back to basics, pure Mexican/South American lines are rare and not easy to grow ,people keep hunting for skunk in other peoples beans, you might get lucky but I’d recommend people make more of there own and hunt those.

22 Likes

This ^^^:dart::dart::dart:

3 Likes

Skunk or not, I highly agree with the motion of breeding old stock in ways that at first glance wouldn’t make sense or uncommon pairings.

Chance favors the brave, something like that :wink:

9 Likes

I just crossed Tajikistan and Afghani into Kanak Balochistan. Got 2 Afg/pak landrace seeds from my outdoor project this year. Lots of other things were crossed using a Male Kanak Balochistan.

I’ve got Punto Rojo Gold , Acapulco Gold and Colombian Gold Jalisco running right now. I’m going to do some crosses of those as well. :dove:

Afghani x Kanak Balochistan

23 Likes

I feel like if a small breeder found real skunk most people wouldn’t try it because they wouldn’t believe them at this point with the lore. It’s become so big as an idea or quest at this point.

10 Likes

On the flipside, if someone claimed to have it and refused to share it, who would believe them?

10 Likes

Well that’s the thing… doods been selling hemp seeds as skunk for a quick buck so the person to actually find it will have to grow that shit out and have it vetted by locals, hell send a sample to vernal

3 Likes

I suppose that is the difference between finding skunk in seed vs finding a rando pheno with the skunk scent. I would hope it would be the former, because the latter makes things much trickier.

I am a huge believer in rolling the dice. I got a whole freezer full of “what if?”

I dont think any of it is skunk, but hypothetically if I did find it, first thing I am doing is emailing the breeder, then Im smoking up some friends, and then I am asking what I should cross her with to make more seed for the masses… A man can dream

7 Likes