The REAL "Skunk" I WAS THERE

A stable skunk bud seed line would be some 200 IQ breeding hah

I think skunk started as a sport pheno that bred true for smell, people found bagseeds, and bagseeds from bagseeds until the thing was a hermie runty mess and disappeared.
Some tried to outcross it, watered it down etc

Smashing some old Mex into inbred ghani Paki or hindu is still a good idea :yum:

7 Likes

Could the truth be that it never existed. :thinking:

In the 70s during the early years of the war on drugs, the government funded a plan to spray mexican pot fields with an herbicide called Paraquat thinking it would kill the plants and slow the drug trade. Paraquat worked too slow and the weed would be harvested and shipped north.

Paraquat is toxic to humans, so rather than admitting what they had started doing or stopping their plans due to the potential harm caused by people smoking this newly tainted weed; the government came up with a new marker to spray behind the paraquat.

Some scientists at the university of mississippi super concentrated limonene derived from orange peels into a chemical that smelled like “the essence of skunk”. At the time, no one really knew about terpenes or their effects; it was just assumed that the really bad smell would deter stoners from smoking the weed that had been sprayed with paraquat. So one plane would fly over and dump paraquat and then a second plane would fly over and dump the limonene spray to mark the field, then the weed would be harvested and shipped north.

Washington Post 1979

The State Department is testing ways to make marijuana stink. Literally.

The department, caught between irate pot smokers and a huffy Mexican government, wants to keep spraying paraquat, a herbicide, on Mexican marijuana, but it would add a foul-smelling chemical to warn users.

The chemical, known as d-Limonene Dimercaptan (dLDM). is made from orange peels, but is variously described by government officials as smelling like “essence of skunk,” “burning tar” and “poo-poo.”

you can buy the concentrated limonene and apply it yourself

11 Likes

We can always count on gov to tell us exactly whats happening.

And the now classic miracle weed

6 Likes

Mornin GregOG, Interesting story. We grew seeds that were brought back form Kabul, in 73, and it smelled like a skunk !!! That’s my story and I’m stickin to it ! He,he,he Peace, Chubby

6 Likes

skunk existed without a doubt. I don;t believe any of sam “skunkman’s” stories at all.
What I do know is , at least in the BC lowermainland area, skunk grows were everywhere in surrey, langley, cloverdale, north delta, mission , maple ridge and in the interior. Talking with my uncle he told me all the BC skunk bud they grew was gathered up from all the grow houses every crop and shipped to the USA. The Skunk smell I remember from riding my bike past grow op busts back in the 80’s didn’t come from any paraquat sprays down south of the equator. I believe there was one or two, maybe more, phenos from the same seed lots that became known as skunk and by the end of the 80’s they probably only existed in clone form.
Thats my guess.
The popular story that growers ditched the skunk for strains that hit just as hard but stunk way less when growing is the reason skunk faded into the ether. It was all about staying 2 steps ahead of the man back then because penatlies were harsh… Thats my take anyways.

14 Likes

Where I’m from we never had anything called RKS. We had very skunky weed though. The skunkiest and most offensive that would stink up the whole food court of a mall with a single dime bag in your pocket lol. It was a cut of a cultivar called Green Spirit and was Skunk 1 when it was still skunky crossed with Big Bud. Early 2000’s in Toronto Ontario. It was around for about 1999-2006 and then the guy that had it disappeared. I had just started growing in late 90’s and never got my hands on it but would get QPs to smoke at 800 bucks a pop. and it would sell itself from me at 300 an Oz to other people.

6 Likes

I actually remember green spirit very briefly and do remember that stuff stinking hard. A newfie boat builder guy i knew back then used to grow that strain. When I started growing he was one of the few other people I knew that actually had lights set up inside. That was very early 90’s when it was far easier to score quality hash and LSD at any of the places the street dealers gathered.

3 Likes

So how many people on here had their stuff vetted?

I can’t be the only one with a line that can assault the nose.

Screenshot_20240106_100432_Discord

3 Likes

Assuredly not

:joy:

3 Likes

is this the GREEN CRACK CLONE * SFV OG KUSH BC2

??? …

1 Like

That Flower wouldn’t happen to be a dark sharp emerald green literally plastered with fire red orange -hairs that were almost gold super greasy would it ?Buds were so blanketed with crystals the bags would stick together Stuff stunk so bad we all carried it in black graytop film canisters smell still bled through a bit people would catch wiffs of it on you had to be careful carrying that one We had a Batch that we all got over the falls in Buffalo we all called Canadian Skunk or Christmas bud that was around here in that exact timeframe you mentioned .It came around here in early december and was gone by mid Jan.Was very piney Skunky earthy.The smell would bounce across the room and just sit in the air in that exact spot.I fumigates a technology wing shop class by craking a cannisterand popping lid back on went to lunch came back wnd smell was still there.

3 Likes

That’s like Kandahar right? Guess I could of searched to find out lol

Thanks for the Information on an actual real Skunk of the past.

1 Like

It looked close to this BIG BUD in the sensi seed catalogue but darker shade of green and a little more scraggly. the green spirit from Dutch passion still have an image that resembles what I remember as well. If you mashed these both together that would be what I remember it looking like. Def got a couple phenos. I would get 4 buds in a bag, 4 huge colas and that would be my QP each and everytime. It was extremely tacky to touch and was not a dense or rock hard bud but was more fluffy, a gram looked huge compared to other things. It wasn’t the most trichrome covered plants tbh from what remember but it was so dank and icky sticky, pistils were more of a peachy/dulled orange colour.

This green spirit from Dutch passion also has the look I remember. Almost gnarly looking, a little leafy, I remember the sugar leaves always not being trimmed, they were very dark and had almost zero trichome coverage on the sugars but they stuck to the bud.

7 Likes

I thought the Washington Skunk had a great Skunk bud color. Looked RKS like. Just harvested this in October

12 Likes

Did it smell real skunky ?

No, only a few did. None had it in taste. But it was a killer pine/cedar on the good ones.

Some were sour grsss smelling. But there was one that had the crappy smell that turned real skunky at the end. It had round buds. All the Skunk scent ones were runts.

Probably 3 good out of 20 the average. Definitely if it was seriously worked up it would be a killer strain even by today’s standards. 100 to 300 seeds should get it headed in the right direction.

5 Likes

Wow what an accurate description.

Bc the term rks is new, there was never anything called that. Skunk yes rks no. It’s a newish forum thing. If your looking for “rks” your best bet is older afghans that haven’t been messed with imo.

4 Likes

Love useful chocolate skunk his first batch but it wasn’t real skunky it more of chocolate diesel leaning the pack I grew . I’ll have to look up second pack I got it was chocolate diesel crossed with another cut of skunk

10 Likes

ran some washington skunk a while back but got no skunk in her, it was a seed run so maybe one needs the cut to get that funk.

peace …

7 Likes