Tinytuttles 2020 grow chronicles

Hey, Tiny!
Guess my bet didn’t pay off.
I forgot to figure in your cold weather.
We’re having another cold spell as I type, 20° F below avg. and all my outdoor plants just suspended operations. Except for potatoes and onions and lettuce that is.

When I grew hops, plants the size you have would double their growth in a few days.

4 Likes

It’s not quite there yet … Ya they grow a few inches a day at least probably more on little cooler days but these 90 degrees probably slow them a bit

3 Likes

Did some checks in the plants and happy to report Ive seen pistils on the volunteers in a couple of plants now ! Yea!

5 Likes

Where did you buy your hop rhizomes @Tinytuttle? I think I got all of mine from Freshops in Oregon. I grew them down in Alabama in a hot year but dry. As long as they have plenty of water and plenty of good drainage in the soil they seemed to love shitty hot weather.

I have to get some this next year. I forgot this year. I can prep an area this summer like my last one to make a natural porch trellis of vines. I grew Cascade and Nugget and both thrived. They’re supposed to be the two easiest to grow I think. The Cascades were insane. They produced flowers as they started growing and gave a harvest in summer and another full harvest in fall. Nugget gave one harvest in fall but it was insanely large. You brewing? I need to get mine set up again.

3 Likes

I bought rhizomes from a home brew store from back in 2009 and there still going don’t know the strain with 100 percent certainty but their either EKG , Willamette or cascade

3 Likes

Tonight I embark on making JWA (Jadam wetting agent ) or more commonly know as soap liquid

I notice hoppers and other leaf chewers moving in so time to take action !

Here’s the line up with quantities:

160 grams of Koh
125 mls of RO water you can also use distilled
900 mls of canola oil

10 Likes

Less than 2$ for the oil

When the water is added to the koh be very careful temperature reaches about 220 f but it dissolves easily in water with a slight stir this can cause serious burns I’d not careful

7 Likes

Combine the koh/water mixture and the oil in at least a 1.5? Gallon pot or bigger

Get you paint stirrer and drill out and go to town mixing for less than 10. Minutes

Be careful not to splash it could cause burns as well

Getting close it’s starting to thicken

4 Likes

Blend for 10 minutes or less till it turns the consistency of mayo or yogurt then stop , cover and let sit for 3 days it will continue to harden

7 Likes

In 3 days I’ll be adding 4 liters of RO water and do a slight mix by hand to help dislodge the solids from the containers side important not to mix hard at this point … let set for another 24 hours and check for clumps and mix lightly to dissolve soap.

7 Likes

So with recent storms and high winds most plants have received some damage I call it leaf cracking from the winds constantly thrashing the leaves makes for some unsightly leaves IMO and bugs are chewing here and there

6 Likes

What do you do after the 4 liters of water? Will it be a spray solution at that point? I remember you already explained that to me earlier in your thread or last years thread.

I hear you on the cracked and broken leaves, and my small tan spots on all of the leaves caught in the hail storm(s). I pulled them off finally.

3 Likes

The 4 liters plus the 900 ml oil 125 H20 makes 5 liters of liquid soap like that of DR. Bonners liquid soaps and such I had used about 3/4 of a gallon and gave the last 1/4 to a budy that had bug problems on his cannabis needlessly to say hell killed the aphids as well as his plants cause he used the concentrate full strength he said it was hard to spray! Duh!

3 Likes

It’s a concentration that uses 1-2 oz that is mixed with a gallon of water which is full strength which the same usage of “safer‘s “ insecticidal soap uses Oh and the gallon of concentrate soap costs 4-5$ to make and safer cost is what? 6 oz of concentrate for what 15$? hell I could make some serious coin off some gardeners around here that have bug problems!:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::cry:

4 Likes

It’s really not that bad to your skin. Like the worst case of excema you could ever get.

It’s downright horrific what it will do to your eyes, tho.

4 Likes

Yup splashed a bit in my skin when mixed with oil it was burning , it basically a lye or a major component in heavy duty drain cleaner.

5 Likes

Where can you buy the Koh? Somebody said above but I forgot it…

2 Likes

I bought mine here
https://www.bellechemical.com/potassium-hydroxide

4 Likes

I bought mine on amazon for less than 15$ for 2lbs of crystal I figure with that amount I’ll be able to make close to 6 gallons of concentrate… mid flower late flower it doesn’t matter also provides a boost of potassium sounds like a winner in flower anyways breaks down in <7 days or less won’t kill bees when sprayed at the right time helps water distribution better acting as a surfactant and on and on!

9 Likes

Love the website I always enjoy it when I learn something in the process! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes