Zephyr grows and creates

Awesome :pray:t3:

7 Likes

Thanks for stopping by stray! Your care package line is absolutely beautiful. It’s producing slender, towering, narrow leaf beauties with excellent branching.

These are definitely going to be heady. When I catch a glance of them in the garden late at night through the window, it looks like they are doing this:
skanking
I’ll get some photos today.

8 Likes

The leaves are darker in person, but the camera was confused by the fact that they are practically fluorescing in the mid day sun.

I won’t even try to get coherent pictures of this garden, because it’s not possible.

In the garden we have lebanese landrace, “pink mother” and “green mother” selections, lebanese sinatra f1 (dank sinatra x lebanese landrace male), lebanese sinatra f2 donut shop, and strayfox care package.
@Strayfox All the tallest plants are your Care Package, except for the males which are lebanese landrace.

And in the ground we have Guava Hashplant f1 pheno B,
“guava hairspray” pheno which cures to a silver color.

25 Likes

Outdoor plants looking excellent, when I can see them through the smoke. Good thing I am growing for seed this year. Everything is praying, and was very happy after 5 days with no care or watering.

Indoors, things are not going well at all. Because of my ventilation setup, I had to close off my grow room from the rest of the house to keep the smoke from getting in. The plants are not happy with this change of environment. The drop in temperature resulted in one tent displaying symptoms of overwatering because they are drinking so much slower, and the other tent is displaying weird mottled leaves. I suspect things will be back to normal once I can have the door open again, and venting conditions are back to normal.

Worst of all, my rolly polies have started to eat my seedlings. This has never happened before, but I did notice that they ate vegetation whenever the soil is too moist for them, and this is in the tent with symptoms of overwatering. My beneficial decomposers have gone turncoat!
Not sure what to do. I think I’ll just spray neem oil and top dress with neem seed meal as soon as I can resume taking care of the plants normally.

Due to the turncoat beneficial bugs, I now have only 4 maple leaf indicas, and there is not much I can do about it until the wildfire smoke abates.

9 Likes

They are running out of food. Relocate as many as you can. Maybe topdress some food of some type for the rolly’s? This happened to me once and I relocated some to the back of my yard.

3 Likes

Great advice Tommy. I have some organic parsley and cilantro, I think I will give some a very thorough wash and then feed it to my rolly polies.

That reminds me that I never had this problem when I used to grow multiple companion plants in each pot, and regularly did chop and drop mulching.

I stopped growing the companion plants to reduce light competition and to see if it made a difference in quality. conclusion- growing the same cut in two cycles, first cycle with companion plants, second set without, the aroma was definitely stronger and more complex when grown with lemon balm and mint as companion plants. It also improves the consistency and drainage of no till soil.

Afterwards, I never got around to re-establishing my companion plants.

11 Likes

I am using basil for companion plant in my backyard garden. Basil is cheap, easy to grow and the flower provides seeds. I added basil seeds to Blue Moon Rocks plants and will note results during flower phase. Here is a photo of comfrey and basil growing in the backyard in 5 gallon bucket:

8 Likes

Great idea to use basil as a companion plant and trap plant. I have a packet of basil seeds, I will definitely toss some into my no-till pots along with some lemon balm and marjoram seeds.

@Tommy_McCain thanks again for the tip, no more seedling losses!

4 Likes

@Strayfox I love these care packages! They have grown to 11 feet in 5 gallon pots of no till soil!
I am making some care package x lebanese landrace hybrids, and I’m very excited to see how they turn out. I’d love to find some phenos with lebanese flowers on a giant care package frame.

Their structure is great for outdoor growing in my environment, copious bud sites for small flowers with a relatively long internode distance which gives then good airflow and resistance to bud rot and mold. They should all yield well, and some phenos are making nice primary colas as well.

I might need to buy another pack of these if they are still available.

Now that we are finally getting some respite from the smoke in my neck of the woods, I’ll try to post some more photo updates soon.

9 Likes

Zephyr have you tried any of the iraqi from Strayfox yet I’m really curious about tracking some down.

3 Likes

I think I sent you some of my open pollination F2 of bodhi’s TK x Iraqi, didn’t I @zephyr? If not, please let me correct that oversight immediately. :smiley:

One of the recent pics bodhi took of a male in the Iraqi line looks a lot like one of the ladies I found. Here’s my TK x Iraqi #7 tan lines pheno:

And here’s one of the Iraqi males he found along the way:

@Torontoke is just past 7 weeks of flower with several of the TKI F2 phenos. They get big with a huge stretch, reasonable space between buds, and small to medium sized buds that might do well outdoors for you. I think some of TT’s were dusted with Dank Zappa pollen. :astonished:

you have to watch out for intersex indoors, but only 1 of his phenos had a few nanners around week 3 that didn’t reappear once plucked.

13 Likes

Guava hashplant breeding update

I have just flipped my tent full of guavas to flower on october first, which puts me on track to harvest from late november to early december. These have sometimes flowered in barely over a month, so it may be sooner.

I had intended to flower these about 3 weeks ago, but the wildfire smoke really interfered with my ability to work on my grow.

I definitley “overgrew” my tents. There are also 2 giant “guava F” cuts in my other tent. I will have to squeeze at least one of them in with the rest of these so it can be pollinated.

1 week ago in veg

*sorry for the out of focus photos, I didn’t take any of these

Yesterday

These are not stretching, so much as exploding. Look at my vertical lighting for size reference, those fixtures have 2 foot fluorescent bulbs. You may notice some mangled and bent leaves on the F2 guava at the far right, that is because it has just been manhandled and staked to keep it out of the bulbs.

This is the last F1, and as you can see it’s extremely male. This is a best case scenario, because now I can spread these good bodhi f1 genetics around as much as possible. Every other plant in there is a guava f2. Finding an f1 male means I can perform an f1 incross with my f2’s for maximum genetic diversity within my selections. I can also use this to hit my guava F cuts for a completely new f2 selection.

Hopefully I can make room in the tents by culling a few f2 males. I will want to make sure this f1 male produces good pollen before I make any selections. The most important trait I look for in male plants is copious production of healthy viable pollen.

Fortunately, the f1 male preflowered within 2 days of switching to 12/12 photoperiod. This is good because photoperiod sensitivity is another trait I look for (it indicates early flowering when the line is grown outdoors), and also because the f2’s have not sexed yet. This will give me time to evaluate this male while the other plants are still determining their sexes in the preflowering stage.

12 Likes

Guava hashplant update continued:
Guava B Budshots
This pheno was excellent. The bud smells like the sweet floral smell of a guava, but a real guava is actually a much funkier and more pungent smell than this. This is just the sweet, floral, perfume like aspects of guava.

The bud also has a slight bitter note, and a chemical smell like old hair spray.
It actually smells kind of like the chem strains that I smoked in high school, chemdawg from humboldt, and “platinum chem” grown in SF. But that bud had no fruit smell. This smells like a hint of the old school chem bud, behind a strong sweet floral guava fruit smell.

very interesting and loud smelling. Definitely my favorite pheno of the guava so far.

This first photo is the best representation of the silver color of the buds

My last batch of clones of this pheno didn’t make it, but fortunately, I got 3 good indoor grows with this pheno. the first seeded with f2s, the second sinsemilla, and the third seeded with Purple Paonia Paralyzer pollen from lefthandseeds.

I also have a humongous Guava B outdoor plant, which was open pollinated with Lebanese landrace males. That cross should result in a very special medical line.

17 Likes

ganja guardian spiders

18 Likes

Strayfox care package-
assorted photos of the care package outdoor plants taken yesterday

These appear to have reached their maximum height, around 11 feet. For some perspective, those wires running through the plant are actually an ~6 foot tall clothesline.

They are all supremely frosty. This is an excellent bud structure for outdoor growing, plenty of airflow.

22 Likes

guava harvest

this guava b clone grew much differently outside. leafier than the indoor with lots of identical nugs all over, instead of a few giant colas with small lower buds. The buds aren’t huge but there are a ton of them, and they are quite frosty. As usual, this pheno is only lightly seeded, but the seeds look good and I will get some bud to smoke.

It smells similar to my previous batches, but way sweeter. It is very very sweet smelling, with a strong rose floral and guava floral smell. No bitterness or chemical smell when grown outdoor, unless it shows up in curing. Smells a little like overripe fruit. Notes of overripe fruit show up in almost everything I grow in this outdoor garden, it’s like the signature smell of this particular spot.

It was grown in a raised bed with mesh around it, and it vined all over the place. It’s huge, and it’s impossible to get the whole plant in one picture. It’s just a lot of big chunks of plant all over the place. Big forking branches full of bud. This should show most of it.

22 Likes

If you wanted to share any of those crosses I’d be interesting in trying some , the guava x leb sounds interesting I think I’d had some guava x c99 quite a while back don’t remember how they turned out.Thanks

5 Likes

I love seeing your outdoor garden. Looks healthy, happy and hhhhyyyyyuuuuuuuge! :evergreen_tree: Nicely done my friend!

7 Likes

Once again, I have overgrown. Here are the guavas after stretch.
as planned, I culled the f2 male, and squeezed in a huge f1 guava pheno F. There are 4 f2 females, 1 f1 female, and 1 f1 male. The f1 female will make f2s, and the f2 females will make an ix.

The selected f1 male is insanely branchy, after moving the plants around it has started to stretch out its branches, and is vining its way through the females, as if it’s trying to pollinate them directly. It has also grown an incredibly long branch that stretches towards the door of the tent, in an apparent attempt to escape and spread its pollen even further.

The plant at the front left is the f1 female, which is much older and sparser than the others because it has been vegging for months under fluorescent lights.

and for comparison, here’s the photo from 2 weeks ago.

17 Likes

reposted from another thread, this is how I am handling pollen containment for this guava project.

I needed a way to isolate the indoor pollen from my outdoor grow. Solution- hepa filter on the inline fan that vents the tent into the room, and hepa filters on the intakes of the air conditioner. The hepa filter on the inline fan prevents it from blowing airborne pollen into the rest of my space, and the air conditioner is filtered to capture any pollen that might escape while I have the tents open to work on the plants.

I should be safe from any cross contamination / accidental pollination.

9 Likes