50° North Outdoor 2023, which cultivar to grow?

Only thing that I know about nirvana is they have alot of different phenotypes in there genetics. I never grew anything from them for that reason.

3 Likes

You can buy super autos now. They are usually around 105 day strains. That’s what I would recommend

4 Likes

I’ve played around with their version of northern lights and yes you are right on, pheno-time.

2 Likes

I have grown Purple Satellite ( Baglung Nepali x Oaxacan ) and finished at 55N. Not many photoperiods will finish where I am. The Green Mountain Grape is supposed to be earlier. Vermontman tests breeds and grows exclusively outdoor, his work is pretty well documented for about 10 years now. Also ACE is eu based.

The Baglung nepali is semi auto but I believe V man has bred that out mostly. His purple Satellite flowers earlier than I photo I have seen other than semi auto stuff like Erdpurt or f1s between photo and auto.

5 Likes

Growing outside onset on flower is just as important if not more so than the actual flowering time.

5 Likes

Really appreciate info like this from other growers.

Man, you got that right!

3 Likes

Take a look at the offerings from these folks, they are EU based and specialize in outdoor strains for Northern latitudes:

I don’t know of a vendor that sells them and ships to the EU so you’d need a buddy to reship, but Copa Genetics out of Maine has an early and fast line they’ve been developing named Project 25:

https://www.greatlakesgenetics.com/product/copa-genetics-project-25-2/

We’ve had some members growing it, as well as some tester crosses of it, over in this thread:

If you could get your hands on that it seems like it would be a good one for your situation

5 Likes

I think that @Shevchenko could help you with choise becouse he live in similar area in Europe and also grows outdoor :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks, I keep it in mind.

The “Friesland” from Dutch Passion is also on my radar.

3 Likes

Great the Canadian Contingent is participating. I was first thinking to make my post in the Canadian Sub Forum. I guess the canadians should have a lot of valuable experience growing around 50°. Parkland Flower as a breeder looks interesting:

Hope I didn’t forget a box…

For the Autos I’m thinking about making some males with STS and produce seeds or just get regular Autoseeds.

On Aug 15th day length should be more around 14 hours. I have my eyes on some varieties that a promised to finish flowering in 45 days (Dream Queen from Humboldt Seed Company and a few others).

Now I’m getting even more excited :nerd_face:

Elevation is between 80m an 300m. A lot of vineyards here, we have a pretty unique micro climate for 50° north I suppose.

Breeder looks interesting have to check him out. Thanks a lot for your input.

Is there any kind of product (flower, concentrate, seed etc.) that is locally grown in Canada around 50° that is sold on the legal market?

Thanks. Which Seedcompany are you using?

1 Like

Thanks, its already on my radar. Do you have first hand experience with this variety?

@Faithisyours
Thank you what I noted, but I can’t help topicstarter. Since the plants it describes and wanted to have does not exist (in my opinion), well, or I did not meet it.
The first message in the topic contains mutually exclusive requirements for the plant. So the plant obviously has to ripen by the 10th of October at this latitude, since later the sun does not rise high enough, and the weather can be reduced to about zero mark. Therefore, the plant has to bloom no later than the 15th of August. As we know 12/12 at 50 latitude only after September 10, it will become obvious that the search should be focused on early blooming plants most of which are very difficult to keep in the form of clones, because they are sustained in flowering even at 20/4, and some At the same time, they bloom and vegetate even at 24/0.
And there are many such contradictions in the requirements, so I do not believe that one plant can match all of them. If so - let me know.
I put on 50 latitude the whole spectrum of plants:

• a auto (for a guaranteed receipt of at least some harvest)
  • Semi auto -flowing such as Polm Gold Outdor has time by the end of September, are no less productive than the photo and strong enough.
  • Early flowing photoperiod, for example, Caramelo Fast Version from Delicious Seeds, I kept my mother for 4 years (even clones that bloomed at 24/0 mode back to vegetation), however, at low temperatures and rains, the plant may not have time.
    (Hope Google The translator clearly translated my opinion)
3 Likes

I will definitely run at least one 100 day Auto. Experience with fast Autos wasn’t great this year but I guess I made some mistakes and didn’t have enough light. Do you have recommendation for super Autos? As mentioned before I have my eyes on some strains from Humboldt Seed Company they have some long flowering Autos:

Have to check them out but seems they are not shipping to my country.

Thanks Pictures sure look nice, will check them out.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got it figured out. You’re exactly right, 2 to 3 days per degree of latitude Sounds like you’ve got it figured out. You’re exactly right. Outdoor Genetics will finish 2 to 3 days later (harvest) per degree of latitude north of the original latitude the genetics are used to growing in.
I like force flowering for a month for genetics that will take longer than what I have here. You can even start flowering as the days are getting longer if you are force flowering. In this manner it is possible in Canada at 50゚ North to harvest even tropical genetics. For example a 16/17 week variety you would want to start flowering on April 21st and harvest it on August 21st or thereabouts So the sun is strong enough for full expression. Of course that would mean covering the plants up for the whole entire 4 months. It would be much easier for indica dominant varieties. Just a few weeks head start with allow you to grow so many more things…

4 Likes

Kwik seeds Has a nice selection of northern European genetics That are either inbred lines or heirlooms at this point.
C99 may finish for you. Friesland…
Any BC genetics like from Next Generation Seed Co or old Vancouver island seed company gear. Always wanted to try that fucking incredible.
I see Jordan of the islands has been listed. They are from bc.
Also, check out woodhorse seeds on Instagram. He is from BC. Tell him landracer3 sent you. I just picked up some Herijuana IBL from him.
My apologies for any information Already given by others that I Repeated. I didn’t have time to read the thread this morning before work

4 Likes

Consider building a small light deprivation greenhouse .That will allow you to grow many cultivars that normally wouldn’t finish in your climate/altitude.

3 Likes

Yeah wishful thinking I guess.

Climate here is much milder than in Ukraine. This year was very mild, some days reached 20° C at the end of October. Coldest nights where around 5° C. Daytime temperature is usually well above 10° C in October.

Interesting I didn’t know that.

This one sounds very interesting. Thanks Shevchenko.

2 Likes